Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Introductions and hello's / Re: Hi everyone
« Last post by Mooster2705 on February 20, 2024, 09:50:08 PM »
Hi Sue
I think you are right about the sponge/scouring pads I have. When washing up they definitely get heavier when in use and you need to squeeze them to get the water out. Oh well, they will still be used for washing up  :)
Hi fcmf
Thank you for the info on the i110. I will definitely be changing the filter media. The box that the cartridge and screen sit in is a lot bigger than it looks. The slots for screen and cartridge make it a lot smaller with sizeable gaps between both with nothing inbetween.
Introductions and hello's / Re: hello new fish tank owner here
« Last post by fcmf on February 20, 2024, 09:11:26 PM »
Sounds great.  :cheers:
« Last post by fcmf on February 20, 2024, 09:10:38 PM »
All sounds good, and great advice from Matt and Sue.

Lovely choice of fish which should do well in your water which is similar to my own.

I have a larger version of your tank (Marina 54L) that originally had the Marina i110 filter, and agree that it's definitely worth changing the filter media for numerous reasons, not least that it used to clog up and cause the filter to malfunction (and yes, it contains carbon and zeolite pieces).  [Details here and possibly elsewhere on how I changed it https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-tanks-and-equipment/external-filter-for-marina-54/msg22520/#msg22520 ].  It will be an easier process for you as you haven't got fish in the tank yet and are just starting cycling.  I would remove the black plastic screen as it serves little/no purpose and just takes up a fair bit of space that would be better filled with sponge.  Hope that helps.
« Last post by Sue on February 20, 2024, 08:14:15 PM »
My son uses Temu  :)

Read the packaging carefully on those sponge + green things as many of them are impregnated with detergent (surfactant is another word for detergent). Also, they may be the type of sponge designed to hold water like a bath sponge rather than allow water to pass through it - filters need the type where water flows through, ie reticulated sponge/foam.
If these turn out the be the 'holding water' type, you need a different sponge. Any brand of filter media would be OK, just buy something slightly bigger than you need and cut it down to fit.
« Last post by Mooster2705 on February 20, 2024, 07:53:11 PM »
Once again thank you for your time and effort helping me.
 I meant the pads with sponge on one side and the thinner coarser green stuff on the other. I buy them for washing up and have a cupboard full of unused ones  :) I know the ones you described also, great idea. So basically any sponge that is free from detergents 23rd are ok to use?
I have some filter media and sponges on their way here and as soon as they arrive I will be swapping the cartridge for my own concoction. I found them at Temu, have you heard of Temu? Things take around a week or two to arrive but at a fraction of the cost.
« Last post by Sue on February 20, 2024, 03:18:47 PM »
You mean those things which look like flat balls of knitted plastic? Yes, many people use those. Basically anything which biofilm can grow on is OK in a filter; the filter bacteria live in the biofilm. The thing to look for is "contains surfactant/detergent" on the label and don't get those.

That flat thing with holes is the bioscreen, designed for bacteria to grow on. Since it's flat it won't grow as many bacteria as other types of medium since sponges have a huge surface area (the inside of all the 'bubbles' and other media are designed to have a large surface area for the volume.

I've also found a description of the cartridge:
"helps remove pollutants and odours, removes toxic ammonia and captures floating debris".
I don't like that phrase "removes toxic ammonia", that sounds like it contains zeolite. Zeolite absorbs ammonia, leaving little or none to feed the bacteria. Then the zeolite gets full and stops absorbing ammonia which then builds up in the water as there are insufficient bacteria to remove it. The fish keeper is tied in to replacing the cartridge before the zeolite gets full, for ever.

With live plants in the tank, the zeolite issue isn't quite as important. But the cartridge also contains carbon (the removes pollutants and odours bit) which adsorbs plant fertiliser.

I would take the cartridge out now and replace it with better media of your choice.
« Last post by Mooster2705 on February 20, 2024, 02:41:34 PM »
Hi Sue
I found a video on you tube that shows how to mod the i110. Will try this once the cartridge needs changing. The cartridges only measure 4×3 inches so there is plenty room for improvement. Would the little pan Scousers with sponge work? Are they save to use? Sorry for all the questions but knowledge is power   :)
I took a screen shot of the bio screen and have attached it. It also measures 4×3 and both use internal slots in the filter housing leaving space between the layers.

« Last post by Sue on February 20, 2024, 10:39:03 AM »
Hagen's website won't load, something to do with its certificate, so I can't access the manual  >:(

Sponge is better than bioballs, ceramic noodles etc as it does both mechanical and biological filtration. You can use any sponge designed to allow water to flow through, cut down to fill the space.
The plastic screen, is that what the call the bio-screen? That could be of some use, though carbon is not needed on a routine basis.
« Last post by Mooster2705 on February 20, 2024, 10:13:19 AM »
Thank you for the explanation. Your knowledge on water is phenomenal! The pump/filter that came with the tank is a Marina i110 which uses cartridge filters along with thickish removeable plastic screen. Would it be better to discard both and use sponge and various bio balls etc in layers? It seems to me that there is a lot of empty space inside the filter that could be better used for filtration. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: