See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
New Fishkeepers / Re: New Tank - cycle or use water additives?
« Last post by Littlefish on Today at 11:10:25 PM »
Me too.
So many fish, not enough tanks.  :)
« Last post by hampalong on Today at 11:06:04 PM »

@hampalong what are you doing with your big tank?

I don't know. I have a very long shortlist, but I don't know how to decide. I always have this problem...
Don't worry about asking questions. I've been active on these boards on and off for 8 years (like you, before I first set up my tank). The periods I went away, was because I was sprogging and I think I forgot pretty much everything I knew about fish!

So I've become active again and been asking lots of questions as I refurb and restock my tank.

Also the search function is pretty good. It took me a while to work out how to get the best out of it, and I'm still not that great. What's weird though, is searching for a question and finding the answer. And then realising it was me that wrote the answer several years ago!
Gallery Showcase / Re: My 240l planted tank, again.
« Last post by fcmf on Today at 10:21:46 PM »
Great update and pics. :cheers:
« Last post by fcmf on Today at 10:19:16 PM »
I keep seeing something called Aqua plus which is suppose to help cycling but no idea if it does or not. Maybe others might know more about it.
There seem to be a number of non-fishkeeping products by that name but I assume the one you're referring to is Fluval Aqua Plus.  :)

I did read the Practical Fishkeeping mag staff making positive comments about their early experiences with Microbe-Lift Nite-Out II - but accepted that it was too premature to say anymore at present; I wonder if Microbe-Lift has got hold of the coveted recipe! The staff at my LFS tell me that Microbe-Lift Extreme is the same recipe as Seachem Prime.

I don't think any of these products are instantaneous, though.

In my naive days, and failing in a fishless cycle using fish food and without bicarbonate of soda (which I ought to have used due to such low KH of 1-2), I used Tetra SafeStart to get the process moving. However, knowing what I know now, I'd do a fishless cycle.
thanks again everyone, good to know I'm not doing anything drastically wrong.....yet! I'll go with the thinner layers and see how this goes. And while it's all settling do major fish study :fishy1: so no doubt I'll start stressing over that too and you'll start seeing posts about fish compatibility, but the website you've directed me too is good. I'm keeping a notebook of the ones I think may be suitable so when I get to that stage I'll give you a shout again.

Talk soon  :D
General Fishkeeping advice / Re: Water chemistry according to my Seneye
« Last post by Helen on Today at 10:16:05 PM »
Look what has happened to my pH profile since I added the fiveband barbs. It has gone almost flat. The variation now seems to be +/- 0.04. I will be testing the GH and particularly the Kh at the weekend (when I am at home in daylight. Just realised that I don't need daylight for those tests as they are colour change. Will do them tomorrow!)

Edited to add that the down blip is when I added the new fishing the tank. I tried sticking my Seneye in the bag to monitor the ammonia build up while the temperature was balancing. The green block at the bottom, with the lines on it indicate that is where I added a comment to the log (to say that new fish are being added)
« Last post by Littlefish on Today at 10:09:22 PM »
The Evolution Aqua "Pure Aquarium" product?
Hope this is helpful.
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/evolution-aqua-pure-aquarium-review

Gallery Showcase / Re: My 240l planted tank, again.
« Last post by Littlefish on Today at 09:58:46 PM »
Brilliant. Thanks for posting pics, it lovely to see your gang enjoying their new set up.  :)
« Last post by barneyadi on Today at 09:41:05 PM »
Hi

I keep seeing something called Aqua plus which is suppose to help cycling but no idea if it does or not. Maybe others might know more about it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: