See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
New Fishkeepers / Re: Wave maker
« Last post by Matt on February 19, 2018, 11:20:20 PM »
I wouldn't say you needed more circulation from your tank/equipment details...I have a 220 litre with a filter rated for a 300 litre tank and don't have extra circulation. Your set up is similar.

I would imagine that if a wavemaker was to be placed near a sand substrate the sand would get drawn into the unit. Other than that I don't think there is much issue with it being down low.
New Fishkeepers / Re: Wave maker
« Last post by daveyng on February 19, 2018, 10:40:27 PM »
I use a circulation pump (Tunze model) to provide extra circulation in my 270 litre tank. I use mine to disperse the CO2 from the diffuser evenly around the tank, which is heavily planted. The tank is cuboid in shape and so I only need one unit to supplement the flow from my external filters. The model I have pushes round about 1800 litres per hour.
Fish Tanks and Equipment / Re: JBL CristalProfi filter - anyone using?
« Last post by fcmf on February 19, 2018, 10:34:59 PM »
That's reassuring; thanks. I've consequently gone ahead and ordered the internal corner one I'd been eyeing up, so fingers crossed it works out as well for me as other JBL products have.
New Fishkeepers / Wave maker
« Last post by Geoffish on February 19, 2018, 10:08:04 PM »
Hi all
I've got my first tank all set up and cycled (details further down). I've been wondering lately whether I need a wave maker or not and, if so, where to locate it. First fish went in at the weekend (cardinal tetras and five banded barbs), more variety to follow over the next few months. The plan is to get it reasonably well planted, but not too crazy. I've got some brown algae, but nothing alarming. Hopefully that will be cleaned up once I get some otos and shrimp in there (planning to get them next week).

Having read various websites, etc I wonder whether the water circulation is good enough, particularly for the plants. My thought was to get a wave maker and put it towards the bottom in the corner (opposite end to the filter). Then it occurred to me whether I should get two small ones in either corner to avoid dead spots but without having too high flow rate in one place. Finally, wave makers generally seem to be put near the surface (as far as I've seen), is there any issue putting them further down? (or maybe they have a different name?!?). I want to improve circulation rather than disrupting the surface too much.

Specs
Tank: Juwel vision 260
Substrate: Aquagrowth soil
Filter: External Oase Biomaster Thermo 350
Decorations: A few rocks and a mid-sized bogwood log
Plants: Java fern, echinodorus, eleocharis acicularis, lizard tails, staurogyne repens
Planning to get a few anubias, but at the mo I've left the bogwood out (soaking) until the algae has gone. So will sort this out in the next few weeks.

Thanks!
Fish Tanks and Equipment / Re: CO2 Refills
« Last post by Cod_only_knows on February 19, 2018, 09:40:23 PM »
Cheers Dave, I've thought about the fire extinguisher route, but the JBL canisters take up so little space and at 5 a pop I think I'll stick with them.
Gallery Showcase / Re: My tank finally with fish in it
« Last post by barneyadi on February 19, 2018, 09:18:01 PM »
The Corys are making me laugh. Are swimming up to the outlet pipe and then getting in the flow of water and riding it to other side of tank. Not sure if they are finding it fun or they haven't worked out why it is happening. ;D

The tetras are roughly in groups and slowly starting to explore. Have ordered some almond leaves for top of tank, just to give a little shade for them.
Gallery Showcase / Re: My tank finally with fish in it
« Last post by fcmf on February 19, 2018, 07:47:12 PM »
Congratulations :cheers:

Hope they will be very happy in their lovely new home - I can see that they're exploring already.
 :fishy1:
Fish Tanks and Equipment / Re: looking for advice on led lighting
« Last post by Dylan5084 on February 19, 2018, 07:44:03 PM »
just bought the same one sue has, will see what it's like
Gallery Showcase / My tank finally with fish in it
« Last post by barneyadi on February 19, 2018, 07:17:11 PM »
Pics of my tank with fish in it.
Fish Tanks and Equipment / Re: CO2 Refills
« Last post by daveyng on February 19, 2018, 04:41:18 PM »
I use to have small JBL cylinders but like you found them expensive to refill at my L.F.S. I have replaced these with fire extinguishers. The 2kg ones are about 15 to refill from a local supplier. I believe the JBL cylinders only hold 500g of CO2. I use the fire extinguishers with a JBL regulator/solenoid.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: