Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Its back to work on my next fish selection.  I've come up with a few more after looking at people profiles to see what community they have.  I now have this list of options:

10x Neon or Cardinal Tetra
6x Honey Gourami
2x Kribensis or Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid
6x Peacock Gudgeons/Goby
2m 1f Stiphodons

Bearing in mind, I'm not looking to stock all of these and I'm aware that the Tetras must go in last as my tank is still cycling.  Just wanted to check compatibility and what would be best to add next.
Thanks for the extra info Sue :)  Just need to work out which fish to get next.  Will pick up on the other thread.
Yes, you can add more fish. As long as ammonia and nitrite stay at zero, you can get another batch of fish a week after this next batch.

You do need to do the water changes. We can measure very few things that end up in the water. Ammonia and nitrite are necessary because any level of those above zero can kill fish. Nitrate needs to be measured because levels above 20 ppm have long term impact on fish health. But there are a lot more things, those things excreted and secreted by the fish, which also build up, and we can't measure them. In a tank with no live plants, nitrate will increase between water changes, and this can be used as an indicator that other things are building up as well. But when there are live plants in a tank, the plants use the ammonia made by the fish; they don't turn ammonia into nitrite or nitrate so nitrate does not build up when the tank is planted. But we still have to do water changes to remove the other, non-measurable chemicals.

Once the tank is fully stocked, you will need to do weekly 50% water changes regardless of the nitrate level.

Once upon a time I worked in a hospital chemical pathology lab. We tested urine for all sorts of things, and fish will excrete similar, if not the same, chemicals. Then there are hormones secreted by the fish to add in to the mix. These all need to be kept to a minimum level.
Quick update on my readings.  Still no change after adding the 8 penguin tetras last week.  I'm doing 30% water changes each week although it doesn't appear needed.  Based on the results, would it be okay to add more fish next week?
General Fishkeeping Chat / Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Last post by Littlefish on Today at 11:31:11 AM »
Amazing outcome to such a small change.
Great to hear that your gang are now much calmer in their redesigned tank.  ;D
« Last post by fcmf on Today at 11:14:07 AM »
Interesting how a slight change of decor arrangement can affect the dynamics in a tank. The anubias on the piece of wood has a lot of leaves with algae on it. I decided to turn it back to front so that the anubias could be hidden under the silk plant leaves at the back of the tank rather than exposed to the light at the front of the tank. Consequently, the tank now has the decor in more of a smooth, tapered fashion height-wise from back down to front (as is often recommended in aquascaping ::) ). This has had the positive consequence of the entire length of the tank at the front having uninterrupted swimming space for the first time, much reduced bickering and pushing between fish over which territory is whose, and a much calmer ambience.
 :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:
« Last post by Sue on September 22, 2018, 11:16:11 AM »
Those sesame seed like things are nerite eggs. I have a lot of them on the wood in my tank.

Human cataracts are caused by degeneration of the lens inside the eye and the only 'cure' is to remove the natural lens and replace it with a plastic one. Having recently had this operation, I have read up a lot about the condition. The same can happen to a fish's eye, and unless we perform the same operation there is no cure. I doubt whether it is even possible to operate on a fish's eye.
Gallery Showcase / Re: My 240l planted tank, again.
« Last post by Littlefish on September 22, 2018, 11:05:41 AM »
Though very relaxing, so good for your health.  :)
« Last post by fcmf on September 22, 2018, 10:53:21 AM »
Thanks, @Matt, although human cataracts can be treated, so perhaps there's a fish-equivalent treatment. I'll monitor the situation as I think it's a case of treatment might well help (but it's erring on the too-late-to-solve territory now) .v. not wanting to upset the equilibrium in the tank by removing this fish for treatment and potentially it recurring if re-engaged in another of the daily battles with his shoal-mate.

The two snails have been sleeping side-by-side for much of this week. During the water change, I noticed that the wood has got lots of what I thought were the white grains of the Tana sand (mix of beige and white grains) but which I'm questioning now and wondering if they're snail eggs - like sesame seeds and difficult to remove as they're embedded in the wood but not unsightly. The newer nerite spends her algae-eating time on the wood which would account for those if they are snail eggs, while the older nerite spends his algae-eating time on the glass and filters.
Gallery Showcase / Re: My 240l planted tank, again.
« Last post by Helen on September 22, 2018, 09:54:01 AM »
I realised that I'd spent 2 hours just sat infront of the tank watching the fish! Not terribly productive.  ::)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
SEO Services in Kent
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: