See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Dwarf Cichlids / Re: Kribensis
« Last post by GrahamH on Today at 03:23:35 PM »
Success, first batch of fry spotted. :fishy1:  :)
Gallery Showcase / Re: Setting up a 'Temperate' Pond
« Last post by daveyng on Today at 03:08:59 PM »
I did consider the standard "PC" fans in a case, which I have on top of my tank (see pic). However, I think the Hydroponic / Bathroom inline one would be ideal, there much more powerful. I could simply cut a hole in the cover attach a 100mm hose to it via a standard fitting and then attach this to the fan.
« Last post by Littlefish on Today at 12:53:10 PM »
Great set up.  :)
Glad to hear that your insulation is helping to keep the pond cool.
General Fishkeeping Chat / Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Last post by Sue on Today at 12:50:38 PM »
Frequently  ;D

If they are near enough to something rigid they can grab hold of that and pull themselves onto it, but if they are too far away they try to grab hold of the substrate which doesn't work - they stay upside down with a foot covered in gravel or sand and we need to rescue them. But that was in the past. I now have so much wood with attached plants  in my tank that they always have something close enough to grab hold of.
It is quite interesting watching a snail come further and further out of its shell looking for something to grab hold of. They can reach round 180 degrees; that's when they try to grab hold of gravel/sand.
« Last post by TopCookie on Today at 12:41:32 PM »
Any problems with Nerites "falling over" Sue, as I believe they can't right themselves if they topple at certain angles...?
« Last post by TopCookie on Today at 12:37:38 PM »
Back on topic now:  love that vintage water pump set up - that looks fantastic...!!!   :D
« Last post by TopCookie on Today at 12:36:46 PM »
I have used fans previously to cool my axolotl tank, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tropical-Freshwater-Aquarium-Cooling-FS-604/dp/B00DGR5RQ6  and I found that it worked well if you only need to drop the temperature slightly, perhaps a degree or two. Combined with shade, and regular water changes this may be enough in all but the warmest of summers.
I've also floated ice packs in the tank to help.
Eventually I purchased a chiller, which was quite expensive.

Sorry about being off topic here for a mo Dave... 

The Amazon fans there, looking at the feedback, one person had a simple but brilliant idea: 

3 of the fans stopped working after approximately 6 weeks cheap rubbish You better off putting a household fan in front of the tank works much better"
« Last post by daveyng on Today at 10:55:31 AM »
Latest Readings from the Seneye in the Pond (attached). You can see the temperature is creeping up. The pH had been fluctuating a bit but I managed to curb that by covering the Pond with a sheet of the mirrored insulation during the peak sunlight hours (13:00 - 17:00). Today its gone up because I ran the water feature. Probably drove the O2 level up.
There are also a few more pics of the setup (bit Heath Robinson) but it works. There are 2 showing the cover. I place a couple of rocks on it to stop it blowing away !!. There is another of the filter with the insulation wrapped around it and 1 of the working water pump feature.
I am going to construct a rustic looking box to cover the filter although its tucked away and not really noticeable. I will also do something more permanent for the cover.
« Last post by Sue on Today at 10:47:31 AM »
I have had nerites for years, and I don't always have eggs. I bought 3 the same type a few years ago and one of them did lay eggs so I separated that one from the other two (I had three tanks back then) and hey presto, no more eggs in any tank.
And I've never had eggs with a single nerite. They need two to tango....
« Last post by TopCookie on Today at 10:31:43 AM »
That looks alright Dave...  :)   Definitely the sort of thing I'd consider...  I have seen some purpose built fans on one of the websites, geared up for tank cooling, but for much smaller tanks though... 

I like the look of those in Donna's link too...  :) 

Not too bad, temperature wise, at the moment, but obviously things are gonna be warming up from now...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: