Benson

Author Topic: Benson  (Read 10781 times) 15 replies

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
Benson
« on: August 20, 2013, 11:50:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,
I thought that seeing as he's come up in other threads, I'd better introduce Benson my parrot - Benny for short.

He's not at all friendly with other people and strangers, be it human, bird or animal, freak him out for ages.  If he sees a cat in the garden (or even worse a hawk in the distant sky) it can throw him into an epileptic fit, which he's been prone to for about 7 years, and if a stranger visits then he just won't shut up squawking his disaproval.  But with me he's a pussycat and I can stroke him when he comes to see me in my comfy chair, have a rough and tumble, turning him on his back and pick him up any time I want.  He even obeys me when I tell him to go back in his cage at bedtime (mostly).

He's 50+ years old by our best reckoning and doesn't bother saying much more than the occasional "Hello", relying instead on various different shouts and squawks to make his feelings known (especially when it's time for tea).  He was a hand-me-down from my mother when she went into hospital 9 years or so ago and she had him for at least 15 years prior to that, getting him from a lady who'd had him for over 25 years.  We took him home to look after him and he and I just sort of bonded.  Mum didn't have the heart to separate us when she saw us together.  ;)

Anyway, I present Benny the grumpy old man (just like me according to SWMBO!) before and after having a bath.

Say hello Ben...

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Benson
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 01:47:17 AM »
Oh, he's lovely, Ken. He sounds like he's got real character too, and at that age, he's entitled to be grumpy ;)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 02:50:18 AM »
Oh, he's lovely, Ken. He sounds like he's got real character too, and at that age, he's entitled to be grumpy ;)

That's what I keep telling you! I'm at least that old!

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 06:14:47 AM »
Thanks Resa - and LOL Steve, me too. :)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 07:45:06 AM »

;D

Benny looks lovely Ken, the before and after shots are great!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:17:44 AM »

;D

Benny looks lovely Ken, the before and after shots are great!

[/quote]
]

What is it with chaps, that they get grumpy as they age? Whereas us ladies....well, we just become ever more fun, vivacious and sparkling company ;D ;D

And Steve....can't you sleep?? I thought I stayed up late ;)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 09:21:48 AM »
Obviously, as some of us ladies age....we also lose the use of our brains before we have had 7 cups of coffee in the morning....and lose the battle with the 'insert quote' option :-[
Going to put the kettle on.....

Offline jesnon

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 09:57:44 AM »
 ;D it happens to the best of us!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline SteveS

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 10:04:50 AM »

What is it with chaps, that they get grumpy as they age? Whereas us ladies....well, we just become ever more fun, vivacious and sparkling company ;D ;D

And Steve....can't you sleep?? I thought I stayed up late ;)

I didn't get grumpy as I aged, I have always been that way as my mother keeps reminding me.  As for sleeping; Sleeping is for wimps! (Much like your quotes  ;D)

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 10:27:50 AM »
I wish there was a raspberry-blowing smiley option....I'll have to settle for this one :P
                                                                  ;D

Offline SteveS

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 09:35:35 PM »
I wish there was a raspberry-blowing smiley option....I'll have to settle for this one :P
                                                                  ;D

Which one was that? Fun... Vivacious... Charming... Lady-like?  :o

By the way Dutchy... Judging by the last picture, I'm afraid I'm with Benson  ;)

Offline Resa

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 10:12:15 PM »
I'm thinking......playful and intellectual ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 08:30:49 AM »
I've only come across one parrot before.... and it bit me, so they're not my favourite creatures, but he sounds like fun to have around.

...errrr.... you bath your parrot?

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 08:50:13 AM »
Well if Benson is anything like the birds in our garden, it'll be a hard job stopping him having a bath if he sees water  ;D.

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 10:51:33 AM »
No guilty yer 'onour Mr B.   
Amazon's aren't dusty birds like say African Greys so don't need bathing regularly.  In fact he won't go near a water bath and absolutely hates being sprayed.

That particular soaking was self induced though - he goes mental when the hoover's out and dunks his head in the water bowl, splashing it everywhere in the process.   ::)

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 09:15:14 PM »
Here's Benny in his favourite evening position - on the warm radiator fast asleep...

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: