General Update

Author Topic: General update  (Read 2582 times) 4 replies

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
General update
« on: April 02, 2018, 04:35:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hiya, latest update, I'm glad to say all going well in fish world, although I didn't realise how easy it was to spend a whole weekend visiting every lfs within a 40 mins drive, reading fish articles, trimming plants, cleaning filter and general pottering around the tank, slightly afraid it won't wear off and will just get worse  :yikes:

Anyway stock now 15 Harlies, 14 Rummy nose, 12 5 band barbs and 11 Skunk Corys, I've also decided on Sue's suggestion of 3 Pearl gourami's just not got round to getting them yet as none in stock  :cheers:. That'll take me to 56% on the community creator so should probably leave it at that for a bit as the tank only been going 3 months. The I need to figure out what else to get  :fishy1:

I wonder if I'm over feeding them, everyone one says it quite easy as a newbie and I can see why (Al keep telling me I'm starving them), as I've finally got a nitrate reading of 5ppm and can't think of any other reason for it? 

I also really want floating plants and and a few unsuccessuful goes I tried some duckweed, thinking it'd be easy, well it was easy, but it was also all eaten within 2 days!! I'm I actually starving them and it's something else with the nitrate?  :sick:

I've added some carbon fertiliser as Matt suggested for the slight flagging Echindoras and keeping fingers crossed, and Matt loved your tip for getting sand back in the tank with the plastic bottle, really works  :cheers:

Think it maybe time to finish the bank holiday off with some more pottering, maybe try to figure out what the next fish will be.

Have a great remainder of bank holiday weekend everyone.  :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Re: General update
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 10:15:59 PM »
Make sure you get 1M, 2F Pearl Gouramies. And remember a 56% full tank is easier to maintain, not to mention better for the fish, than a 100% full tank. A lot of people go straight to a fully stocked tank, which is never a good idea until you know what you're doing.

And where are the pictures? I want to id your Barbs. There are 3 species they could be.... :)

Pictures will also tell us if your fish are eating too much. If you're concerned about it then they're probably not. Does all the food get eaten?

Echinodorus are heavy root feeders. They're actually best in plant pots with a deep substrate, and a regular root tab type feed.

Offline TopCookie

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka: Pierre
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 11:25:52 PM »
Fish choices sound brill too...  :)

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 01:08:51 PM »
Hiya thanks both for the comments.

Mark, yeah 1 male 2 females for the Gourami's and don't want to fully stock, I'll probably just get one more of something after the Gourami's settle in for a bit.

You've set me a bit of a challenge with the pics the last ones I did (before the barbs) were all a bit blurry (in the gallery section) I'll try to get some of the barbs and post when I can. I did wonder however if I've got slightly different ones anyway a couple have got really orange fin underneath (don't not the proper names for all their bit's yet!) and some others just have clear fins?

All the food get's eaten, it's a total feeding frenzy each time, the rummy's even pick up bits of the cat's pellets and swim about with it in their mouths! hilarious when one drop it and another snatches it away :rotfl:

Your comment on the Echinodorus is probably why they're not doing great, I don't have deep substrate and only put in root tabs for them last week and they seem to be doing a wee bit better now.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 11:46:31 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I also have fiveband barbs and they do look like two different species. The males have developed very red fins and nearly pink bodies, whereas the females look more yellow bodied with colourless / yellow fins. Adds to their charm, imho.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "General update"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
43 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 06:13:09 PM
by jesnon
12 Replies
Last post September 18, 2014, 09:43:00 PM
by Rich_D
2 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:34:15 AM
by Mad_BMS
1 Replies
Last post November 05, 2015, 09:14:40 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 11:45:51 AM
by Paddy60
22 Replies
Last post September 18, 2017, 09:18:54 AM
by Littlefish
86 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 03:42:17 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: