Why Does My Platy Have A Red Belly?

Author Topic: Why does my platy have a red belly?  (Read 19407 times) 59 replies

Offline susie58

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Why does my platy have a red belly?
« on: June 05, 2014, 07:40:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi. I am new to keeping fish as I only bought my first tank (biorb) in April this year. I have a 60 ltr biorb with 7 platy's 1 danio and 2 ghost shrimps and a 22 ltre heated tank with 1 male betta (red) called Kai. I have had problems with getting the biorb to cycle and have visited this site to learn all about ammonia/nitrates/nitrites etc. I have made a few classic mistakes (overstocked the tank too quickly) which caused the loss of 3 danios in a week. I seem to be on top of things now though - bought a water test kit and mastered the art of small, frequent water changes. The little platys in the biorb seem to be doing really well and the water has improved (ammonia 2.0/Nitrates 2.0 and Nitrites 2.0) but I can't seem to get the biorb to cycle as well as Kai's tank did (Ammonia 0.5/nitrates 0/nitrites 0).
So I have 2 questions please:
1. Is there anything I can do to get the levels down in the biorb (am adding a drop or two of filter boost daily as recommended by pet shop
2. One of the platys keeps 'shadowing' the others all the time - won't leave them alone even when they're being fed. He/she looks pregnant to be and is bigger than the rest, with a red underbelly. Is is a pregnant she or a rampant he?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Why does my platy have a red belly?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 08:52:16 PM »
Platies first.

Do you know if you have males or females? If you don't know, the way to tell is by the anal fin. That's the one on the underside just in front of the tail. Have a look at the photo in the fish profile here. There are five fish in the photo. The two at the bottom (yellow on left, red on right) are females. Their anal fins are the normal fan shape you'd expect of a fin. The other three are males. Their anal fins are not fan shaped, but rod shaped. This is called a gonopodium. You can see it best through the panel of writing on the red and black fish top left.
Male livebearers like platies chase females constantly. It is recommended to have at least twice as many females as males so that each female gets time off while the males chase another one.

A red underbelly could be a pregnant female. In this case the red would be above the anal fin where the babies grow. But if it is a male it could be a sign of something wrong. If it looks fat, look down on it from above (I know that won't be easy with the narrow opening of the biorb). Do the scales lie flat against the body or do they stick out like a pine cone?

Now the cycling. With ammonia and nitrites at 2 in the biorb, you need to be doing water changes to reduce the level. Change most of the water; leave just enough for the fish to be able to swim in then fill back up with dechlorinated water at the same temperature as the water you took out. Warm it with hot tap water if you have a combi boiler or with hot water from the kettle if you don't. Then do water changes as often as necessary to stop either of them getting above 0.25.
The betta's tank - the ammonia is a bit high. It will be OK as long as your pH is 7.5 or less. But again, water changes will lower it.

Offline susie58

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 06:42:28 PM »
Thanks for the help Sue.

Have changed the water in both tanks today:

Biorb PH 7.8 Ammonia 0.25/Nitrites 2 Nitrates 40  45 litres changed
Betta PH  7.8/Ammonia/0.25/Nitrites 0/Nitrates 0  10 litres changed (50%)

I had a look at the platies and I think the one with the red belly is a female. She seems fine, nice and active and not too bothered by the big water change. My little danio seems stressed though, he's racing round the outside of the orb, seems a bit panicked to me.

Last night my betta was flicking around the tank and rubbing up against the sides and ornaments. Also not as sociable as he usually is. This morning he had white spot down one side of his face and spreading under his throat. I've done the water change and added the prescribed dose of white spot treatment (removed the carbon filter first). I've also turned his lights off and he seems to be resting and not too stressed now. Is there anything else I can do to help him? 2nd dose of treatment is on Tuesday - do I just keep an eye on him now? (Also added some aquarium salt to the water when I did the change). The PH was 8 when I tested it - this is too high for a betta fish isn't it?

This fish keeping lark is quite stressful - am scared I'm doing them more harm than good  :(

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 07:20:08 PM »
Don't worry about the pH for now. Treating the whitespot and keeping the ammonia and nitrite under control is more important. Just to check, did the betta look as though he had salt grains on him? And since you've had to remove some filter media (carbon) you will also have removed some bacteria so monitoring those levels is now quite important.
Is there anything in that tank that could be increasing the pH, other than the whitespot treatment? Anything such as shells, limestone rock, coral?

You do need to do more water changes on the biorb, I'm afraid. Nitrite at 2.0 is still way above the danger level of 0.25. Even a 90% change will only get that down to the upper safe-ish limit.
I've just noticed that in your first post you mention having a biorb and then a heated 22 litre tank for the betta. Is the biorb heated? If it isn't, that explains the slow cycling as the filter bacteria grow better at higher temperatures. And you will probably need a heater in winter unless you can guarantee the room never drops below 18 deg C on the coldest night.

The danio is probably stressed because they are shoaling fish and it is alone. But it is not a good idea to get more while the tank is cycling. More fish means more ammonia made even faster, and converted to more nitrite.

Offline susie58

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 08:03:54 AM »
He did have spots like sugar granules on his face and throat but they look better this morning (although he's still not as active as he was) I've only had him 10 days.

There's nothing in his tank like shells or coral - he has 5 small live plants (broad leaved and grass type) and a little bridge to hide under and a floating heart that's all.

How often do you think I should change the water in the biorb? Happy to do what it takes but does it not remove more of the bacteria from the sub strata each time I do it? Also, I will look at what heaters I could use in the biorb for the winter nights.

If anybody was to ask me if I recommend the biorb I would have to say no. Wish I'd bought a nice tank instead as I have had no bother with the betta's tank (maintenance wise and temperature control etc)

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 10:15:32 AM »
Water changes do not harm the bacteria unless you forget to dechorinate the water, and even then when the colonies are mature that does little harm. It's when the colonies are first growing, like yours, that you have to be sure to use dechlorinator. Though the fish don't like chlorine much either.
The filter bacteria grow tightly bound to the biofilm. The biofilm is tightly bound to all the surfaces in the tank. The bacteria prefer to grow in the biofilm on the filter media as that has the best water flow though it bringing food and oxygen. In most filters, the media is also in the dark which the bacteria prefer, though with the biorb's biomedia being the substrate that doesn't apply in this case. It is not easy to dislodge the biofilm, though hard scrubbing of things like filter sponges can do so, especially with immature media. With the biorb's  bacteria being on the substrate, you'd have to really scrape it hard to dislodge the biofilm.

As long as the new water is dechlorinated (to protect the bacteria and the fish) and warmed to the same temp as the tank (so as not to shock the fish) it is safe to do a 95% water change. That's just about as much water as you can get out while still leaving enough to cover the fish.

Whitespot will disappear from the fish but it doesn't mean it has gone from the tank. It is a parasite with a three stage life cycle. We first see it as the white spots on the fish. It is attached to the fish inside a coating, and feeds off the fish's skin. It is on the fish for a few days before each parasite grows big enough to see. The coating protects the parasite and medication can't get at it. Once the parasite has eaten enough, it falls off the fish and lies on the bottom of the tank, still in its coating, and multiplies. The medication still can't get at it in stage 2. Finally, the coating splits open and releases free swimming baby parasites which set off looking for a fish to infect. Stage 3 is the only one where the medication can get at the parasite.
There will be some of each stage in the tank at any one time. It is important to keep adding the medication as the instructions say to make sure there is some medication there when every last one gets to stage 3. If the instructions say to turn the heater up, that's because this lifecycle goes faster in warmer water.
If you need to do a water change on non-dose days, add the amount of med needed to treat the volume of the new water you put back in to replace the amount you've taken out.

I've heard that comment about biorbs before  :-\  They can be nice tanks as long as you are prepared to work with their limitations.

Offline susie58

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 10:20:37 AM »
Thanks Sue. I feel more confident about the water changes now - have just done 25% change in the biorb and syphoned out a dead shrimp  :(  I haven't tested the water yet but will do that this afternoon.Will do 25% every other day for the biorb until the levels are fine, then 20% each week for both tanks.

The 2nd whitespot treatment is due for my betta on Tuesday, then I replace the carbon filter 7 days later. He seems quite alert but am keeping an eye on him.

I've also reduced the feeding in both tanks to 1 feed per day (temperate flakes in biorb and betta micro pellets for Kai) I was feeding twice a day and giving them both frozen bloodworm every 2nd day for the evening feed but somebody told me that bloodworm can actually cause whitespot??? Do you think this is what I did wrong? Or was it just the fact that he's a new fish and maybe stressed with the move etc? The platies really seem to like the bloodworm so would be good to continue with it if you think it's safe.

Sorry for bombarding you with questions but it's great to have advice like this and I feel more in control than I did last week  :fishy1:

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 11:11:12 AM »
are you sure it was dead shrimp and not just a molt from a shrimp they can look the same sometimes mine very often scare me with that little trick as for the white spot i am not to sure but i think that if blood worm could cause white spot its more likely to be live blood worm not the frozen version , i feed mine frozen blood worm often and its been ok they soon eat it all up  :fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 11:48:13 AM »
AS Chris says, the dead shrimp could be a moulted skin, but invertebrates like shrimp are more sensitive to ammonia and nitrite than fish are, so if it was a dead shrimp that's likely the reason.

With the water changes, you need to do as many and of a sufficient volume necessary to get ammonia and/or nitrite below 0.25. Once you get them that low, you should keep them under 0.25 by doing a water change every time they get near that level. With fish-in cycles it's not changing x amount of water every y days, it's about doing water changes as big and as often as necessary to stop ammonia or nitrite ever getting higher than 0.25. That means testing the water at least once a day, and doing water changes if the results show you need to.
Once both have been zero for a week without you having to do any water changes, the tank is cycled. Then you can go to weekly water changes. Depending how heavily stocked the tank is, 20 to 25% is usually fine. Though with small tanks I find half the water has gone by the time I've cleaned the bottom.

The only way bloodworm can cause whitespot is if there were some of stage 3 (free swimming baby parasites) or stage 2 (the cysts where the parasite is multiplying) in the bag with live bloodworm. If frozen, the freezing process should kill the free swimming ones, but perhaps not the cysts. Freeze dried won't have any viable whitespot parasites, but they aren't good for bettas unless they are presoaked.
Don't put the old carbon back in after the treatment has finished. Carbon gets full and if it was in the filter for more than a week, it won't absorb the med. You need new carbon, and throw it away after a couple of days as it will be full of the med by then.
You don't actually need carbon in a filter full time. It's main job is to remove meds when treatment has finished and to remove the brown colour that comes out of bogwood. Once you've got rid of the med, I would put some filter sponge in its place. Any make, cut to fit.

Feeding fish once a day is good. And fasting them one day a week is also good for them. Bettas particularly can get bloated if fed too much.
You platies would enjoy some veg too. Next time you have peas for dinner save a couple; squeeze the insides out of the skin and chop it up small. The betta would also enjoy a bit.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »
It's totally impossible for bloodworm to cause whitespot. To make it possible to produce enough bloodworm to sell, they have to be bred in special pools where, of course, there are no fish since fish would a) eat the bloodworms and b) die from the low oxygen conditions in which blood worm thrive. Since whitespot can only be present where there are fish, clearly it cannot be introduced with bloodworms. Just another loony idea circulating among fish keepers.

I think it's vital to always remember that fish diseases come from other fish. Yes, there are also dangerous physiological conditions that can be caused by poor water quality, but any true disease caused by bacteria, fungi, protozoa, parasites or whatever ultimately has to come from another fish. That's why introducing new fish to a tank is a much more risky procedure than one may think, and why so many of the "Help!" questions here often arise shortly after the introduction of new fish. Sometimes the new fish get sick/die, sometimes it's the ones already in the tank which may have no resistance to a newly introduced disease. Very close observation of your fish after new introductions is essential if quarantine isn't possible. It's also important to take remedial action as soon as possible, by the time a fish is on its last legs (last fins, perhaps?) it may have already infected all of your other fish. Even more so if you leave it to die and the others start to eat it...........
We shouldn't always blame the shop either, because their fish may appear perfectly healthy to them but have a low level infection of whitespot, for example, which might only appear later as a result of the stress of moving into new conditions in your tank.

Offline susie58

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 08:56:45 PM »
Wow! Thanks everybody for the brilliant advice. I'm so glad I joined this site.
Chris - unfortunately it was a shrimp (minus the shell) and considering I had 6 and now only have 1 live shrimp in the tank you can imagine the guilt..thanks for the advice about the bloodworm, I have the frozen stuff and they all seemed to really enjoy it so I can now carry on feeding them it (but only once a day and no more evening snacks)
Sue - I tested the water every day and it wasn't changing (ammonia 0.25/Nitrites 2.0/Nitrates 20) so I've bitten the bullet and done a massive water change tonight - at least 50ltrs with the prescribed amount of aquarium salt, stresscoat and filter boost added. You wouldn't believe the cr*p that was in that tank...I feel so bad  :( Bits of shrimp and goodness knows what else going up the tube from one particular spot..horrible, really horrible. I'll go down to Petsathome on Saturday and ask them for some filter sponge for Kai (betta fish). He seems to be doing well (touch wood) and has picked up nicely again (following my finger and coming out from his den for a nosey) I haven't done anything with his water tonight as he's still on meds for his white spot and his readings are good compared to the biorb's. I'll give them all some peas in a couple of days when they've all settled down, have heard about  that before but didn't really want to try it without an expert saying it's ok.
Richard - I don't blame the pet shop at all, I've made some terrible mistakes and take full blame for what has happened to my danios and shrimps. I overstocked the tank before it had cycled properly but the fish were all healthy when I bought them. If any new people on this site ask questions about whether it's too soon to add new fish to the tank I honestly feel that I could tell them worst case scenario now.
I'll do another water reading tomorrow night and let you know whether the fish survived the ordeal or not (sorry Sue, gave them a little compensation feed as felt guilty

Offline ColinB

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 09:07:02 PM »
This fish-keeping is a very steep learning curve. We've all been there and made similar mistakes (even Sue *sharp-intake-of-breath*) but we've all been willing to learn from them. It'll be fine in the end..... but it does seem to take six-months or so to settle down. Stick with it - it's worth it. I've just spent the last hour or so sitting with a glass of wine (or two) and watching my tank. It's great once it all comes together - it really is.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 09:58:51 AM »
You really don't want to hear the list of things I've done wrong over the years. They include wiping out a whole tankful of fish, twice  :-[

Offline susie58

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 07:28:22 PM »
I just typed an essay and lost the whole lot? So in brief:

Colin B - I'll be on the sofa tonight enjoying my little fishies with a glass or 2 of wine (most welcome after last night's drama)

Sue - Guess what?:

AMMONIA - 0
NITRITES - 0
NITRATES - 0

I'll be testing every day and am not scared to go in with the big guns now if I need to - 95% water changes? Pah, piece of cake!

Kai (betta) has had his 2nd dose of meds and (apart from swimming around in electric blue water) looks ok. I think I saw another couple of white salt/sugar grains on him before I dosed the tank but could just be being neurotic.

They're all going to get a nice bloodworm breakfast in the morning too now that I know the frozen stuff is fine for them.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm sure I'll be back on here soon with yet more questions and will keep visiting too as I like reading all the posts from other people.

Oh and Sue - sorry to hear about your disasters...if you need any advice just let me know - I think I'm a bit of an expert now  :cheers: :cheers:

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 08:50:54 PM »
Please visit; Even if you have nothing of consequence to add.

It may have escaped your notice, but there are people on this site, regular contributors, who have no respect for the serious nature of this web-site; Annoying sods O:-). It would be a nice change to have someone who is sane here. Oh and don't mind the inmates, they are "Mostly Harmless"

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 07:59:02 AM »
Exactly... don't just pop-in when you've got a question, you can start helping out other's who are having the problems that you've coped with etc, etc.

Perhaps you could make the coffee each morning....

....or the bikkies   :rotfl:

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 08:36:27 AM »
Perhaps you could make the coffee each morning....

....or the bikkies   :rotfl: - See more at: http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,995.15.html#sthash.dtHZZMWZ.dpuf

why stop at bikkies a bacon sandwhich would be so tasty  ::)

Offline susie58

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 06:59:08 PM »
Sorry guys, too busy watching my lovely little fish in their crystal clear water to make coffee/bikkies/bacon sandwich

Water in both tanks now testing nil for everything  :raspberries chuffed to bits.

My platy still has a red belly though ??? Think it's just her colouring after all.

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »
Any chance of a photo of the platy? Then we can see what we think.

Keep testing the water until you are sure everything stays at zero. It should only take a few days to confirm it.

Offline susie58

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 07:44:18 PM »
Sue - have you ever tried taking a pic of a single fish in a tankful of 7 (who is always harrassing another fish so you get 2 every time) in a biorb??? Talk about a challenge!

Anyway, with a bit of help from my son, I managed to get a photo of sorts. You can just make out the red belly if you squint. I'll attach a photo of the biorb and one of Kai so you can see them in a mo (new phone so still downloading them all)

I've noticed another couple of platies are starting to act same way (shadowing other fish until they can get out of the way) but this one is the worst offender.

She doesn't seem aggressive - more of a nuisance to them really...differenet partner every time I look - tart!

The levels are all still nil in both tanks (although Kai's is looking horrible because of the dye in the white spot meds) Hope this is not too good to be true  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Why does my platy have a red belly?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post June 02, 2013, 10:26:16 AM
by Resa
2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2013, 02:30:42 PM
by Greendragon
6 Replies
Last post November 16, 2015, 08:41:21 PM
by fcmf
7 Replies
Last post August 02, 2016, 10:07:05 AM
by Paddyc
23 Replies
Last post November 11, 2017, 08:06:22 PM
by apache6467
26 Replies
Last post June 13, 2018, 06:06:29 AM
by Matt
22 Replies
Last post August 18, 2018, 04:14:14 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: