Why Does My PH Change?

Author Topic: Why does my pH change?  (Read 3004 times) 5 replies

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Why does my pH change?
« on: August 19, 2014, 03:42:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Back from a weekend away, and I've just tested my water and the pH is really high!  7.8 kind of high.

I live in a very soft water area (oldham, near Manchester).  I tested the pH as it comes out of the tap, and that is 6.8. So why on earth is the pH in my tank 7.8?

I do have a shell in there, which I guess could theoretically leach some carbonate into the water, but surely not enough to have such a big effect?

I do put some of the 'tap safe' stuff in when I do a water change.  Could it be that?

Any idea what could cause it, and should I be worried and should I do anything about it?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Galaxy Rasbora (10) - Fiveband Barb (6) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (5) - Glowlight Tetra (10) - Zebra Danio (8) - Axelrods Rasbora (12) - Harlequin Rasbora (4) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Neon Tetra (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Why does my pH change?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:56:52 PM »
Dechlorinators should not alter the pH.

You say yours is 6.8 from the tap - is that freshly run water? It is very common for water to change pH on standing, so if that was the pH of freshly run, can I suggest leaving a glass of water to stand for 24 hours then test again.
It is common practice for water companies to pump carbon dioxide into the water supply to help prevent limescale being deposited in the mains pipes. Carbon dioxide lowers the pH. When you allow a glass of water, or indeed a tank full of water, to stand the carbon dioxide gasses off and the pH rises.

We should always compare out tank pH to a sample of tapwater that has stood rather than freshly run. If you 'stood' sample comes back with a lower pH that your tank, we need to think of why then.

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 04:06:12 PM »
Ahhh.
Yes, the 6.8 came from a very freshly run sample.  I will put some to stand now, and test it tomorrow and let you know.

Thank you. :)

Galaxy Rasbora (10) - Fiveband Barb (6) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (5) - Glowlight Tetra (10) - Zebra Danio (8) - Axelrods Rasbora (12) - Harlequin Rasbora (4) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Neon Tetra (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 05:46:03 PM »
Right.  I got round to testing a sample that had been standing.
pH about 7.6 (API test kit, colour between the 7.4 and 7.8 levels).

That seems a huge change on standing doesn't it?  And we have lovely, really soft water, acidic soil etc etc, so I don't really understand why the pH is so high.

And what should I do about it.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »
What should you do about it - nothing!

Messing with pH is not to be undertaken lightly. It can go disastrously wrong and leave you with a tank of dead fish.

Fish can cope with pH outside their 'correct' range but they cope less well with hardness outside their 'correct' range. For your water that means soft acid water fish will cope better than hard alkaline water fish. All pH measures is the amount of hydrogen in your water. With a higher pH you have less than people with low pH (it's an upside down measure). Unless carbonate hardness is specified, hardness means GH and that is just a  measure of the amount of calcium and magnesium in your water. It is quite possible to have low levels of calcium and magnesium and also less hydrogen in the water.
I have GH 6 and pH 7.5. I can keep soft acid water fish quite well. I have green neon tetras and Sundadanios, both of which are supposed to need water below pH 6.5. But these two species also need soft water which I have.

Concentrate on fish that like soft water and ignore the pH.

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 12:00:48 AM »
Brilliant, thank you.
I didn't really fancy messing about up with it to be honest, so I'll just leave well alone!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Why does my pH change?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 12:11:53 PM
by Colesr92
12 Replies
Last post March 26, 2016, 09:27:25 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2016, 05:12:37 PM
by Charlotte
49 Replies
Last post March 25, 2017, 05:10:46 PM
by Fishywishy
9 Replies
Last post December 08, 2016, 09:13:29 AM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2017, 12:49:38 AM
by TrenchyLs
9 Replies
Last post May 19, 2018, 05:08:22 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: