White Spot.

Author Topic: White spot.  (Read 6240 times) 28 replies

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
White spot.
« on: July 13, 2018, 06:53:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Just noticed one of the fish, its been a bit sluggish, is covered in white spots and some of the others have them as well ☹️😢 I did look at the ones that died but didn't see any thing untoward, other than they were dead!!
I will go and get some medication tomorrow morning. What else can I do. I knew I should have got a hamster instead

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: White spot.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 07:02:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
You could slowly start to increase the temperature to speed up the lifecycle of the whitespot.  I would also recommend a thorough gravel vaccing to remove as many spores as possible. This will also do a water change of course which is also advisable in this circumstance to maximise water quality.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 07:41:15 PM »
Do the fish look as though they've been sprinkled with salt?

Follow the med instructions to the letter. If you stop too soon, you won't have killed all the parasites.
http://www.edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa006

Increase aeration as well, as the warmer the water, the less oxygen it can hold. Something as simple as raising the filter higher or altering the angle of the filter outlet so that there are ripples on the water surface is good enough.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 07:53:32 PM »
I knew I should have got a hamster instead
Having been bitten by a hamster (not my own pet), and had it hanging off my hand with its teeth sunken into my fingers and blood spurting out, I think fish are a much preferable option, despite the misfortune you're currently experiencing. Best of luck; good advice above.
:fishy1:

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 09:44:47 PM »
Having been bitten by a hamster (not my own pet), and had it hanging off my hand with its teeth sunken into my fingers and blood spurting out, I think fish are a much preferable option, despite the misfortune you're currently experiencing. Best of luck; good advice above.
:fishy1:
Cant be any worse than a ferret!!  (my sons, he left  6 for to me to look after when he went away) They don't let go and I've had to choke them to get them off. :yikes:

Definitely Friday the 13th!!!!  Water change didn't go right either, can now swim in my carpet  :rotfl: :vcross:

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 11:55:53 PM »
The same thing happened to me when I kept ferrets. It wouldn’t let go when one bit me. I ended up pulling it off my finger and some skin with it. Ouch !!!!

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 08:02:32 AM »
Can't see the fish with white spot now, although my granddaughter saw it as well. Will it do any harm if I dose the tank anyway, just to be safe

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 08:04:09 AM »
It sounded like more than one fish had the spots from your first post. If this is the case then it is definitely worth dosing.  Can you not see any fish with spots now?

Which med have you bought?

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 08:35:37 AM »
Haven't got any yet, going this morning

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 08:46:32 AM »
It is known that just heat alone can kill the parasites. If you raise the temperature slowly to 29 to 30 dec C, that could be enough. The higher temp will also speed up the bug's life cycle, so if it is whitespot, the spots should reappear faster.

What I would do is get some med (I like Waterlife's Protozin, eSHa Exit or when there are shrimps in the tank King British original formula WS3) but don't add it the minute you get back. Take some time to look at the tank temperature to see if you can increase it to 29 deg, and examine every fish you can see with a magnifying glass if necessary. If none of them have any white spots at all, hold off on the med. Check the fish every day for a week. If it is white spot, the spots will come back. As soon as you see this, add the med. If the spots don't come back, don't add any med, keep it in the cupboard. If unopened, it will keep to the use by date. (If you open the bottle it will keep for only 12 months or until the use by if that's sooner)

What was the species of the fish that had spots?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 08:52:21 AM »
The ability to take a paddle on the carpet post-water change is very common for me.  ::)

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 09:13:44 AM »
Platy Sue. All those that have died were platies

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 09:53:33 AM »
Found the fish with white spot lurking in the undergrowth, a platy. Looks like it's been sprinkled in salt! All I need now is vinegar and chips  :yikes:

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 10:10:27 AM »
In that case, add the med as soon as you get it. It will probably say to dose on this day, then that day, then another day. Follow the instructions.

If you need to do a water change -
On dose days, do the water change, then add the med
On non-dose days, do the water change than add enough med to treat the amount of water you changed - in other words enough med to replace the amount you just removed.

It is possible that the first platies did die of whitespot. It often infects the gills where we can't see it. And for future reference, this is why it is a good idea to quarantine all new fish. At the moment all you fish are new so it doesn't matter but in a few months or years if you add an infected fish all the existing fish will catch it too. I've been caught out by not quarantining new fish  :(

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 11:26:40 AM »

It is possible that the first platies did die of whitespot. It often infects the gills where we can't see it. And for future reference, this is why it is a good idea to quarantine all new fish. At the moment all you fish are new so it doesn't matter but in a few months or years if you add an infected fish all the existing fish will catch it too. I've been caught out by not quarantining new fish  :(

Does this mean I need another tank!!! I'm only just getting the hang of this one  :o

The only med I could get locally was Interpet.  I had a chat with the lovely lady who owns the shop ( I overcame my embarrassment not buying my set up there!)  so its nice to know I can just pop down the road in future

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Bearded Fish Forum User
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 12:41:38 PM »
It's not to say you need another tank, but simply that it's a good idea to have one. It wouldn't need to be up and running full time, but if that's the case, you'll probably need to cycle it before putting new fish in.

It's just a small, simple tank, to house fish temporarily to ensure that they have no infections (such as whitespot) and so that you can give medication to any fish that do become ill.

Practical Fishkeeping have a "budget" guide here.

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 02:59:15 PM »
I have the tank in Fishbeard's link as my quarantine tank  ;D It's a basic 25 litre tank which lives in the glass shed (aka greenhouse). There is a 25 w heater in my fish tank cupboard and a small filter which I fill with media from the main tank's filter. I also have a few 4 inch lengths of drainpipe for caves and a few plastic plants in a box in the greenhouse. The reason for the drainpipe and plastic plants is because they are easily sterilised with bleach should the worst happen.
Since I now have a lot of real plants, there are not really enough bacteria in my filter media to support a lot of fish in the QT so should I need to set it up I'll just steal some hornwort from the main tank, then if I have to use any med I'll throw it away. I can't return any plants contaminated with meds to the main tank as it'll kill the shrimps and/or snails.

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »
Has anyone used the Interpet anti white spot treatment? According to the instructions, I should remove all  silk plants and stones. Seems an awful lot of work

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 08:02:34 PM »
That's probably because it will dye them green. Most whitespot meds contain copper which is lethal to the free swimming stage, and all copper containing things are blue or green. If you don't mind the plants & stones turning green or greenish blue, leave them in. Maybe remove the stones and any non-green plants but leave the green plants in?

It's the copper that is also the problem with shrimps and snails - it kills them too.

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 12:20:06 PM »
Oh wo is me!  :sick:
Another fish with white spot, I've just given 2nd dose of Interpet.
In addition I have some very pretty fern-like algae growing on plants .  Now what do I do.
Does every newbie have these problems, am I doing things wrong or just unlucky  :'(

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "White spot. "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2014, 08:49:46 PM
by evan47
7 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 10:08:01 PM
by lynda51
3 Replies
Last post November 08, 2014, 08:35:01 PM
by biffster
2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2016, 05:23:34 PM
by AdyDnt
2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2016, 09:22:28 PM
by BlindDogStanley
6 Replies
Last post October 29, 2018, 09:22:49 PM
by Littlefish
8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2020, 08:37:00 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: