Which Other Fish Would You Add, All Advise Welcome

Author Topic: Which other fish would you add, all advise welcome  (Read 3149 times) 4 replies

Offline CASPERLEE

Which other fish would you add, all advise welcome
« on: June 24, 2013, 11:17:49 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi, I have a 54 lite, 60x30x30 tank. I have quite a few live plants in it, which apart from one or two seem to be doing really well. It has a dark back ground and dark gravel. I have had it set up for 2 weeks and added my first fish yesterday, 6 cherry barbs (2 male 4 female) and also 2 assasin snails as we have a snail problem.

I intend to get 6 glolight tetras in a few weeks and also in the future going to get a siamese fighting fish (male) and also an algae eater and a school of another 6 fish.

My question is can anyone advise with algae eater will be suitable and also what you think the school of 6 other fish should be.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Glowlight Tetra (6) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Which other fish would you add, all advise welcome
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 12:08:56 PM »
Hi Casperlee...and welcome to the forum :)

The other more knowledgable guys on here will help you more, but I just wanted to ask you if you plan to put the Betta (Siamese Fighting Fish), in to your tank with the others or if he was getting his own pad? They are not really ok to keep with other fish (apart from maybe a very few), so I would rethink your decision to get one or start planning another tank for him....although not one of those tiny cube things or the vase type ones that are sold as Betta homes...and Bettas do need filtering and heating, no matter what your LFS might tell you.

In case you have read a thread from me saying that I have got my Betta, Rafe, in my tank, then just to explain, this was by accident and definitely not ideal. I have been super lucky in that he and my other fish have tolerated each other so far, but it isn't a situation that I would advise, and he will be remaining in my 60L tank when I get my new larger tank...hopefully very soon.

About algae-eating fish, I have found there aren't many that are suitable for that size tank...loads of them get huge!  I have got two Otocinclus (did have 3) and they are better in a group of 6, but there can be problems keeping them alive for the first month or so if they haven't been fed well prior to getting to the shop. They are really sweet and I would heartily recommend them.....just be sure to pick fat ones or even better, some that you know have been in the shop at least a few weeks and are looking plump and healthy. :D
Have a bit of fishy time with a cuppa, and look at the community creator on here, play around with different fish that interest you, and it will give you a good idea if they would live together happily or not......good luck! :D

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 12:23:38 PM »
Since the tank had only been running for 2 weeks before you got the first fish, that is not long enough for you to have done a fishless cycle using ammonia or fishfood. You are therefore doing a fish-in cycle. You need to test your tank water twice a day for ammonia and nitrite, and do a water change every time you see a reading for ammonia, nitrite or both. If you don't have a test kit yet, do 50% water changes a day till you get one. Liquid testers are more accurate than strips (and strips don't have an ammonia test on them so you'd have to buy one separately). More details here
Your plants might help a bit, but you'd need a lot of plants to eliminate the need for water changes. (Think underwater jungle)

Once you have zeros for both ammonia and nitrite, it will be OK to get more fish, but only a third of the fish already in the tank on any one occasion. The filter bacteria will catch up to that size addition quickly, but more fish than that could lead to an ammonia and/or nitrite spike.

My only concern about your fish choice is that the barbs and tetras might nip a betta's fins. They are not known for being very nippy fish, but some species just can't help themselves in the presence of long flowing fins. Would you consider something like a pair of honey gouramis instead of the betta?

In a 54 litre tank, I would not have more than 2 shoals of fish. The shoals of just the barbs and tetras put you at three quarters stocked. Adding a betta pushes the stocking to almost it's limit. A pair of honey gouramis instead of the betta woud take to to completely full, but it would be do-able if you did large weekly water changes without fail.

There are no algae eating fish suitable for a 54 litre tank, I'm afraid. The only small algae eater, otocinclus, needs to be in a shoal, but your tank is too small for a shoal and would probably not be able to grow enough algae to feed a shoal. Besides, with the barbs and tetras, there won't be enough room left even without a betta/gouramis. The other algae eater I would normally recommend, nerite snails, would not be a good idea with assassin snails in the tank.
You do not need an algae eater. A well run tank shouldn't have much algae. It is better to work out why a tank has algae and sort out the cause rather than buy an algae eater.

Edit to add:
The community creator can be a bit hard to find. Click on fish profiles in the menu at the top, select any fish and scroll down to the bottom of the profile. Then just enter your tank details and add fish. You can save your virtual tank but you do have to register and log in separately from the forum.

Offline CASPERLEE

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 12:44:06 PM »
thanks for all your help. I was actually thinking that the tank might be full with the 6 glowlight tertra and the 6 cherry barbs and a couple of other fish especially when they are full grown. I think I might see how this tank goes with just these and maybe I will try the siamese fighter.Then when I have got more used to it  we will think about getting a larger tank so that we can get more fish and a lot more choice.

Cherry Barb (6) - Glowlight Tetra (6) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 12:53:22 PM »
If you decide to try a siamese fighter, have a backup plan just in case. Something like one of those fry nets that clip to the side of the tank would rescue the fighter if it shoud prove necessary. It wouldn't be a permanent solution, but it would buy you time while you decided what to do.

In the longer term with a bigger tank for other fish, a 54 litre would do nicely for a betta and a shoal of one of the dwarf species of corydoras  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Which other fish would you add, all advise welcome"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Fat Fish

Started by Chucklett « 1 2 » Fish Health

34 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 06:56:08 PM
by Chucklett
15 Replies
Last post November 14, 2012, 06:38:36 PM
by Chucklett
3 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 07:38:03 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2014, 03:23:41 PM
by Sue
17 Replies
Last post September 14, 2014, 07:27:13 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 03:00:44 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post November 08, 2014, 10:59:27 PM
by biffster

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: