Which Fish In Which Tank?

Author Topic: Which fish in which tank?  (Read 5813 times) 9 replies

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
Which fish in which tank?
« on: June 25, 2013, 02:59:15 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all.

I have two tanks set up and I'm wondering which of my fish would be best in which tank.

My first tank is a 60cm 64 litre one and is currently overstocked with fish that are too large for it. (This is how I bought it). They are 1 x Angelfish, 1 x Gold Gourami, 1 x Opaline Gourami, 1 x Clown Loach, 1 x Bristlenose Plec, 3 x Golden Barbs, 4 x Neons and 1 x Black Neon. The Opaline Gourami often "squares up" to the Gold Gourami, so I should probably separate them. 

My second tank is an old 4ft 160 litre one. This is full of guppies. Around 13 males, 25 females and 8 1cm babies. This tank has been with me for 10 days now. I was waiting for the fish to "settle in" before I starting moving things around.

I do have a third tank which is a 100cm 150 litre one, but this isn't set up yet.

My question is which fish should go in which tank? Every combination seems to have problems. One solution would be to get the third tank up and running  :D (I think that is probably the answer I am hoping for. lol).

Any thoughts and advice would be gratefully received.   

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Which fish in which tank?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »
You could get another tank ;D

No seriously....Sue, Steve and Colin will steer you bang on, but my guess would be, the angel must go in to the larger tank as they need a lot more headroom...so the tallest of them all.  A gourami in each, so there's no more 'handbags at dawn'! ;) and I guess the plec and the loach need to go in to as large a tank as possible....but like I say...I guess. I don't know without checking what all their preferences are regarding optimum temperatures etc. This will also dictate who goes with who.
As for all your guppies, can you separate the males and females in to different tanks...but be quick getting any new babies out and in to your other (3rd) tank? That would at least eventually put a stop to more babies from them....then you've just got to do something about all the offspring you already have...and any new ones in the pipeline..so to speak ;) Then I guess, you should see if any of your LFS would take some babies off of your hands, although from what Sue has said before, I'm not hopeful of that. I have been very lucky here with a little shop near me that is happy to take my platys, even when still tiny.

Anyway, the big guns will sort you out as soon as they come online....good luck!

Resa
  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 03:59:11 PM »
In my opinion:

Angelfish - needs to be in the bigger tank, and away fron the neons which are their prey in the wild.
Gouramis - both opaline and gold are the same species and if they are 2 males they will fight, but also with 1m 1f, the male will quite likely bully the female. Should both be in the bigger tank, but if they are bickering now would be better separate. Keep the smaller gourami in the smaller tank for now, but as soon as possible either set the third tank up or rehome one of them.
Guppy males and fry, neons and black neon will be fine in the 64 litre.
Gold barbs - might be OK in the 64, though Seriously Fish reckons they need a 90cm long tank. Would be better in one of the bigger tanks as they might bully the smaller fish in the 64 litre.
Female guppies and bristlenose in the larger tank. That will take care of future fry as they'll get eaten. Female guppies will continue having fry for up to six months even if there are no males in the tank. Move any female fry over as well as soon as you can identify them as females.
Clown loach. This is the problem one. They get huge and are social fish so need to be in a group. And because of their size, they need a 180 cm tank, minimum. This fish really does need to be rehomed. Can I suggest you try aquarist-classifieds rather than a shop as it may well end up in a tank similar to your 64 litre if it's bought by someone like the chap you bought the tank from.

I would set up the third tank; give away the clown loach; one gourami in each of the two big tanks; if you put the gold barbs in a big tank, get more; get more neons and black neons (or rehome the single black neon).
That would leave you with a more or less full 64 litre, and 2 partially stocked larger tanks. So have a play with the community creator and see what other fish you like that would fit

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 10:45:48 AM »
Thanks Resa and Sue.

I hadn't been on here for a few days before I posted this question. I was hoping to be the lucky recipient of Sue's 1000th post.  :D

I have done pretty much everything that you have suggested. The Opaline Gourami, Angelfish and Clown Loach are now in the big tank. I haven't managed to persuade the Plec to come out of hiding yet, so he is still in the small tank. I have managed to catch about three quarters of the male guppies (the little buggers can't half swim fast  ;D) and transfer them to the small tank, along with all of the babies I could find. I'm sure there are more babies, so I guess it is a case of who finds them first. Me or the angel fish  :(.

Many thanks for the advice.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »
I just witnessed one of my guppies giving birth  :). Unfortunately my angelfish witnessed it as well and ate the baby within 5 seconds  :(.

I have since seen him eat two more and he is currently stalking the tank and checking out every bit of gravel "just in case".

Oh well. C'est la vie. (Maybe not for the babies).  :'( 

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 05:03:57 PM »
With fish like guppies that isn't a bad thing or there'd be shoulder room only for the fish in the tank. If you have some dense plants (real or synthetic) you should get some babies surviving, though not many.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 08:28:16 PM »
She might give birth during darkness next time  ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 10:35:45 AM »
Saves on fish food! ;D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 07:56:48 AM »
I was a bit bored on Friday night, so I was thinking to myself. I wonder what that third tank would look like "in situ" so to speak. So I moved my drinks cabinet from the alcove and dragged the tank through from my kitchen and it fitted in perfectly. I then wondered what it would look like if I filled it with water, so I did that. I could then test the spare heaters and filters that I have. Found one of each that work (though the filter is very noisy).

A while later, I was looking in my other big tank and spotted a guppy giving birth and my angelfish hovering waiting for his tasty treats.  ;D  In a moment of madness I hoiked her out and put her in the empty tank where she gave birth to around 20 fry. I then put her back in the original tank.  So I now have 20 baby guppies with no danger of getting eaten in a 150 litre tank. Not cycled, but they would have got eaten anyway. Looks like I am starting a guppy farm.  ;)

Changing the subject, I got a 'phone call from my sister yesterday saying that a friend of hers had a small tank with lights, heater etc and 2 goldfish. (no sure why the goldfish would need a heater.) I said no, because I didn't want to get into goldfish. A while later she called again. Did I want just the tank and equipment? The fish could go into friends pond. How could I refuse? So a 4th tank it is? And free again. This is starting to get silly. I already have three tanks in my front room.  :o

MTS really is contagious.   ;D 

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 03:06:13 PM »
Two things about your guppy fry:
I realise that 20 fry in 150 litres will not cause the ammonia to up very fast, but keep your eye on it. Like all baby animals, they do most of their growing shortly after birth, and they do make more ammonia than you'd think from their size.
And what do you intend to do with them? If you save every fry you'll soon have room for nothing else. Few shops will take them as they are so cheap form the wholesaler, and there is a limit to how many you can sell locally. Once you've saturated the market......

Goldfish - it depends on what they are. Common goldfish and comets can live outside in the UK; in fact they are better off in ponds as they are strong swimmers. But fancy goldfish are better off in a tank. They can't tolerate the same low temperatures as commons and with their double tails and often mis-shaped bodies, they can't swim very fast so a tank is fine provided it's big enough (about 100 litres for the first and an additional 40 litres for every extra one). And yes, this kind do need a heater unless the owner can guarantee the room temp temp will not drop too low even on the coldest winter night.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Which fish in which tank?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 05:03:52 PM
by denzilsdad
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
22 Replies
Last post May 06, 2018, 08:11:59 AM
by Matt
4 Replies
Last post July 24, 2018, 08:26:03 PM
by daveyng
2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2022, 08:31:58 PM
by TheFletch05

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: