Which Algae Eating Fish To Get

Author Topic: Which algae eating fish to get  (Read 3593 times) 4 replies

Offline skybluejay

• Fishy Member
Which algae eating fish to get
« on: April 15, 2013, 07:19:11 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All,

I am thinking of getting a couple of algae eating fish but am unsure what type to get. I am also experiencing a fair amount of brown algae on my rocks within the tank which i clean off most weeks. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tank 8 weeks old
Amonia levels 0.0
Nitrite level 0.0
Nitrate level 20
PH level 7.5
Fishbox 48 litre tank
2 leopard danio
3 zebra danio

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Zebra Danio (6) - Glowlight Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Which algae eating fish to get
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 07:32:21 PM »
The brown algae is most likely diatoms caused by the ammonia in a new tank - even trace amounts that are too low for our testers to detect can cause diatoms.

Strictly speaking, you shouldn't buy a fish to get rid of algae; you should find the cause of the algae and cure that. But algae eaters do make an attractive addition to tanks.
At 48 litres, your tank is not suitable for any algae eating fish. The only one that would physically fit needs to be in a shoal, and a 48 litre tank wouldn't be able to grow enough algae to feed a shoal. But that doesn't mean there aren't creatures that would work. Shrimps and snails eat algae. At 48 litres, I would look at cherry shrimps and/or nerite snails (making sure they are the freshwater ones not the salt water type). But I would wait to add them last. Shrimps and snails are more sensitive to ammonia and nitrite than fish are. You need to wait till you have all your planned fish, and the tank has run a few weeks without problems before getting any. Until then, I'm afraid it's up to you to clean the algae off.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 07:35:47 PM »
As Sue says, this is typical of a new tank. I had loads of diatom brown algae.... it will disappear over the next few months as your tank matures.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline skybluejay

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 07:57:27 PM »
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the quick replies. Looks like i will be cleaning algae for the next couple of months :D
Once i have my full stocking levels i think the cherry shrimp sounds a good proposition.

Just think about what to stock, it would be great to have some colourful fish. What suggestions would you recommend from the fantastic fonts of knowledge you all have.

Look forward to your response.
Jay

Zebra Danio (6) - Glowlight Tetra (6) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 08:32:49 PM »
With a small tank, I would stick to small fish  :D
Do you know if you have hard or soft water? Your water supplier's website should help with that info. For hard water, endlers are a colourful fish, but males only. Females are bigger, plain beige and have a lot of fry which would overpopulate your tank in no time. If you water is middling to soft, look at ember tetras (orange, brighter once they've settled in, they can be pale in shop tanks) or one of the microrasboras (Boraras brigittae, the chili rasbora is bright red for example)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Which algae eating fish to get"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 09:32:57 PM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post August 01, 2014, 01:43:34 PM
by Pawel
4 Replies
Last post October 22, 2014, 03:43:12 PM
by Fiona
30 Replies
Last post April 15, 2016, 01:56:09 PM
by Fiona
9 Replies
Last post February 01, 2017, 07:51:33 AM
by jalot
2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2018, 08:40:58 AM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2020, 09:03:29 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: