When Can I Add More Fish?

Author Topic: When can I add more fish?  (Read 7403 times) 17 replies

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
When can I add more fish?
« on: April 04, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have just this week finished fishless cycling a 125 litre tank and I have added 11 small fish (3 zebra danios, 3 pearl danios, 4 harlequin rasboras and single glowight danio). I know the fish like to be in shoals of at least 6 but the LFS said similar species would shoal together. (I have since found that they school together but that's not the same as shoaling). Anyway, I wondered how long I need to leave it before I can add more fish? I was adding 3-4ppm ammonia to cycle the tank and have an Eheim 2213 external filter.
Readings 24hours after adding fish are:
Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 40ppm (but tap water also this and am hoping plants will bring this down). PH 7.8.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: When can I add more fish?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 06:51:49 PM »
First of all, a couple of definitions.

Shoaling fish are those species that in the wild live in groups of hundreds, if not thousands.
Schooling fish are those shoaling fish that always swim together in a group.

Non-schooling, shoaling fish do not stick together in a group in the tank unless they are stressed or afraid.
Shoaling fish, both schooling and non-schooling, need to be kept in groups of the same species. If there aren't enough of them, they become stressed by the lack of numbers. It is usually reckoned that they lose count around six, which is why that is the minimum number you should have in a shoal. Though some people reckon they can count higher than six, and the shoal should be bigger.
Fish of similar species will stick together when forced to by lack of their own species, eg your zebra and pearl danios, but they are much happier in groups of their own species - even if they do not school and all go their separate ways in a tank, they know there are others nearby to school with if something threatens.

When doing a fishless cycle dosing to 3 to 4 ppm ammonia, you should be able to get about two thirds of your final socking list as soon as the cycle has finished. The fish to leave till later will include species that need a mature tank (one that has been running trouble free for 6 months).
Using the community creator (I have assumed your tank is 80cm long because that's what mine is  ;D ) you are currently 22% stocked. Increasing the four species to six each pushes you up to 45%.
You have room for some bottom dwellers eg one of the dwarf species of corydoras (pygmaeus, habrosus and hastatus, though only habrosus are in the fish profiles on here) and perhaps a centrepiece fish.

Whichever fish you decide on there are a couple of points to note.
You need to get them within a few days or the bacteria you spent a while growing will start to die off as you don't have enough fish at the moment to provide enough ammonia.
The danios like the temperature a bit cooler than most tropical fish. I would look at fish that can live happily at 23 to 24 deg C, and set your heater for that temp.
Do you know if you have hard or soft water? That info should be somewhere on your water company's website. Fish will be healthier if you choose those that prefer your hardness - hardness is more important than pH.

One other thing - for testing pH, run a glass of water and test it straight away. Then leave it to stand for 24 hours and test again. You'll probably find they are different. The pH after standing is the one to work with.

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 07:14:38 PM »
Hi Sue
Thanks for your reply. I learnt quite bit from this. My water hardness is 78.4mg/l calcium, from what I understand that's moderately hard? but I don't really understand what this means as far as keeping fish, so if you could let me know I'd appreciate it.
I would love a bottom dweller but unfortunately I have quite sharp gravel so I know cory's would not be suitable and loaches are too big for my tank - you were right, it is 80cm ;) If you can recommend anything I'd be grateful for this also. I don't really want to change the substrate as I have plants growing now. I did ask the LFS what the different gravels were for and she said it's just preference - If only she'd have asked if I wanted to keep cory's!  :(
I have had mixed feedback about when to add fish. Some people say I can fully stock once cycled, some say only add a few more in a weeks time because as soon as you stop cycling some of the bacteria dies off, I'm quite confused   :-\

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 09:12:16 PM »
Once you stop feeding the bacteria the amount of ammonia you used to cycle with, they will die off slowly. The amount of fish you have now won't provide the 3-4ppm you were using. But you say you only got these fish very recently so the bacteria will only just have begun to die off. It will take several days for them to die off to just the amount needed for your current fish. If you get more within 2 or 3 days, you'll be OK.
A lot of people do say you can get all your fish at once, but I prefer to get a bit less than that. This gives you some wriggle room if things should go a bit wrong.

If I were you, I would increase my shoals of the fish I have as soon as possible. The harlequins and glowlight danio really do need to be in a group of six each. Since the danios are so similar, you could get away with 4 each rather than fill your tank with similar looking fish. Once you had about 20 fish, you could stop there till you decide on what else. Yes, your bacteria would reduce in number but once you do know what you want next, so long as you take it slowly you'd be OK. If you made the numbers up to 20 asap, you'd be safe to add new fish the same size as six of the fish already there - six fish the same size or three fish twice the size etc.

Your water is moderately hard. This means that you only need to avoid those fish which must have very soft water or very hard water - no Rift Lake cichlids for example. If you read up on the fish you like you should find out if they need one of the extremes of hardness.

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 12:39:19 PM »
Thanks again Sue, that makes a lot of sense. I have already informed my 7 year old that we can go fish shopping again today  :D
Do you have any thoughts about a bottom dweller?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 01:06:48 PM »
Thanks again Sue, that makes a lot of sense. I have already informed my 7 year old that we can go fish shopping again today  :D
Do you have any thoughts about a bottom dweller?

Corydoras catfish are my favourite, but you should have at least six of those for them to be happy. The only cory cats on this web-site are one of the three dwarf species and the Panda cory (link) so you'll have to look elsewhere for info on the others. Bronze corys (link) are the most common, but you'll need to see what the shop has and what temperature range you want. Panda corys require cooler water than most others.

You said 'a' bottom dweller, so if you only want one then the bristlenose plec (link) would be my choice, as long as you have some bog-wood in your tank for him/her to chew on.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 01:14:46 PM »
If I were you, I would increase my shoals of the fish I have as soon as possible. The harlequins and glowlight danio really do need to be in a group of six each. Since the danios are so similar, you could get away with 4 each rather than fill your tank with similar looking fish.

I typed that in a bit of a rush and re-reading, I'm not sure I made sense  :-[

What I was meaning to say was, get more harlequins and glowlight danios to make 6 of both of them
Get more zebra danios and pearl danios to make 4 of each. These are closely related fish and will probably shoal with each other meaning that you don't need the recommended six of each of them, 4 each will be OK.
Using the word 'danio' as I did doesn't make it clear I ws meaning a total of 4 zebra, 4 pearls but 6 glowlights as they are too different to shoal with the zebras and pearls.

I just went to post and found Colin had got there first. This sounds like I'm repeating him  ;D
Bottom dwellers. You seem well read on the needs of corys and loaches  ;D Most of the true bottom dwellers (things like dwarf cichlids spring to mind) would also dislike sharp gravel. Bristlenose plecs stick to the lower part of the tank, though they have the disadvantage that they do take up a fair bit of your stocking allowance. Bristlenoses are the only commonly available plecs small enough for your tank. They are not to everyone's tastes though, especially the males with their bristly noses  ;D

I can't think of another bottom dweller at the moment, if anyone else can think of something that would fit in a 80cm long tank with sharp gravel....... ?

You would have plenty room left for another shoal of fish, or a couple of larger fish. You would need to research before buying to make sure any fish could cope with the slightly lower temperatures that your zebras & pearls need. No fish that have a 25 to 28 degree range  ;D

Colin, the thing that worries me about cories in suep's tank is her sharp gravel........

Offline ColinB

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 03:08:56 PM »
Colin, the thing that worries me about cories in suep's tank is her sharp gravel........

Here's a very different view of the 'sharp gravel' argument...... Clickety click.

....and here's a small extract:

This particular myth has been around almost as long as I've been keeping fish, and it refuses to die.

One of my favorite test tanks used crushed glass substrate (not kiln-softened) and a school of C. arcuatus corys (personal favorites) with fractured glass slab "rockwork". A part of the same shipment of corys went into a nearby planted tank with which I had been having problems with a high-organic substrate. After just a few months, guess which tank had barbel erosion? And a few weeks after unifying the schools, guess who started recoving their injured barbels while living over crushed glass?

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 04:36:13 PM »
I'd come across that before. But there are still a number of people who have problems with sharp gravel.

Having said that, there are also people who have problems keeping cories on smooth gravel, which makes me wonder if it's the gravel that's the problem rather than the sharpness of it. Now that I have sand, I realise how easy it to not clean gravel properly. Is it more likely that all gravel, if it is harbouring decomposing food etc, is more likely to infect cories than sand? With sand you have to keep on top of cleaning the bottom of the tank because it looks so horrible if you don't. In the wild, cories live in rivers and the current would carry away deccomposing food from between stones on the river bed.

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 06:25:12 PM »
HI Sue & Colin
Thanks for the replies. I have been to 2 different LFS's today (and done some miles!) But neither had any glowlight danios  :( I have added 2 more harlequin rasboras and another pearl and zebra danio (I did understand you Sue  ;)
One of the shops which has won awards for aqaurium standards had a cory in gravel just like mine. He said it was fine! However, I took a water sample for them to test the nitrate level as I felt it 40-80ppm was far too high (despite 2 large water changes 50% then 30%- tap water is 10ppm). Neither shop would test the water and both said that nitrate levels were not a problem for the fish. The only consequence was an algae problem. Mind you, neither seemed very impressed when I said I had done a fishless cycle! The tank is well planted but I guess it will take some time for the plants to affect the nitrate levels. I can't understand why the water change had no effect on the levels? I didn't want to change too much because of getting rid of too much bacteria.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 07:57:11 PM »
Don't worry about the glowlight for now. If there's a big gap before getting more, bear in mind that it is safe to add in one go the amount of fish euqal to one third of what's already there. That's body mass, so a deep bodied fish like a gourami has more body mass per inch than a slim bodied fish like a danio.

Apart from a few nitrate sensitive fish, most will be OK in levels up to 100. Researching before you buy will flag up if any particular fish is nitrate sensitive.

What do you use to test for nitrate? Strip testers don't have a good reputation for accuracy. Liquid testers have one bottle that needs to be shaken really well - the instructions will say which one. One of the reagents settles out and the shaking is necessary to redissolve it.

Did you do a huge water change at the end of the cycle? There is a lot of nitrate in the water at the end and you need to vitrually empty the tank to get rid of it all.

How much do you feed the fish? A fish's eye is about the same size as its stomach, so with flake food you need to try and estimate the amount of food equal to one eye for each fish you have. Yes, I know, easier said than done  ;D

Very few shops approve of fishless cycling  :-\

TigzFish

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 08:29:23 PM »
Very few shops approve of fishless cycling  :-\

Ain't that the truth.  When I started out the reaction I got from one was "You're doing a WHAT?!?", the other said "Oh dear, that's going to take you forever." - Glad I did the fishless cycle though, it was worth the extra effort, and time.

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 09:10:24 PM »
That's really useful advice. I did do a large water change and did one tonight again (30%) but I think maybe I'm over feeding. All th food does disappear within about 30 seconds though. Maybe I will cut down to once a day instead of twice a day. Do you think that would be a good idea?  ???

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 11:42:30 PM »
I didn't want to change too much [water] because of getting rid of too much bacteria.

There are very few bacteria in the water itself.  They want to live attached to things, so they will be on the substrate and plants and glass etc.  However, the vast majority of the bacteria live inside your filter.  For all realistic purposes you can forget about the ones that don't.  So you can do as large a water change as you wish.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 07:58:48 AM »
Welcome SueP,

The best advice I can give you is, listen to Sue and Colin over anybody in any fish shop.  Everyone on here is really helpful and someone will know the answer to anything you might need to know...except perhaps, for what to have for dinner...I still struggle with that one ;D

Anyway, good luck!

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 08:59:11 AM »
 ;D
Thanks guys, The fish all seem fine except one zebra danio I added yesterday who keeps hiding - not sure if he just needs to settle in or he is ill. Will keep an eye on him. You're right Resa - I do value this site beyond any LFS and I'm soooo glad I found it!!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 10:33:36 AM »
Neither shop would test the water and both said that nitrate levels were not a problem for the fish. The only consequence was an algae problem. Mind you, neither seemed very impressed when I said I had done a fishless cycle! The tank is well planted but I guess it will take some time for the plants to affect the nitrate levels. I can't understand why the water change had no effect on the levels? I didn't want to change too much because of getting rid of too much bacteria.

I wouldn't listen to anything they said ever again - just use them for buying food etc and go elsewhere for your fish.... and here for advice. :)

You need fast growing plants to have much effect on Nitrate levels. Think of the nitrate becoming plant-mass, so if you're continually pruning and composting cuttings off your plants, then you're taking nitrate from the system.

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 12:21:40 PM »
Thanks Colin
There is one more LFS I can try which is difficult to go to as there is no local parking near it, but I think you're right. 3rd time lucky eh!?  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "When can I add more fish?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post November 11, 2013, 02:52:18 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 10:28:05 AM
by polkadotpuffer
3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2013, 01:06:33 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 09:32:57 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 08:28:33 PM
by D1976p
4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2019, 04:54:57 PM
by fcmf
37 Replies
Last post April 10, 2020, 09:28:52 PM
by barneyadi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: