Author Topic: What type of fish are these two?  (Read 7675 times) 15 replies

Offline Betty_B

• Fishy Contributor
What type of fish are these two?
« on: June 03, 2014, 11:07:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone,

New to fish keeping.

I agreed to adopt two fish with tank.  I know very little about keeping them.  I have had a look around this site,reading the guides and so forth.  The tank volume is 29.120 litres, 6.405 Imperial gallons, 7.693 US gallons, I know this thanks to the super calculator on this site!!   :)

I would be grateful if you can identify the fish for me please.

Regards

Betty_B

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: What type of fish are these two?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 07:51:17 AM »
They look like ornamental goldfish to me.... but there're so many different strains and colour varieties that it's hard to tell. If you put 'ornamental goldfish' into Google images and have a good look and compare to the two you have, then you might get a better idea.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Betty_B

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 09:28:42 AM »
Thanks for the information.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 10:58:25 AM »
They look like goldfish to me too; and 'ordinary' goldfish as well. By that I mean that they have single tail fins rather than the double fins of the fancy varieties.
The problem with that is that they need a big tank, and preferably a pond. The fancy, double tailed varieties are OK in tanks, 70 litres for the first fish and an additional 40 litres for each extra fish. Single tailed fish need much bigger than that.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that 29 litres is far too small for even one of these fish. The best thing to do with them is to see if you can find someone with a pond who would take them.
I do realise that this is  not what you want to hear  :(

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 01:43:30 PM »
I'm sorry to have to tell you that 29 litres is far too small for even one of these fish. The best thing to do with them is to see if you can find someone with a pond who would take them.

Yeah, not the greatest of news but it's at least worth saying well done for rehoming them in the first place  :cheers: - a small tank may not be ideal but it's better than them being neglected.

Offline Betty_B

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 06:19:43 PM »

Yeah, not the greatest of news but it's at least worth saying well done for rehoming them in the first place  :cheers: - a small tank may not be ideal but it's better than them being neglected.

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

I have just checked,the orange fish has four tail fins. Is this what they call double finned?  The other fish appears to have just the two tail fins.

Does that mean the orange fish is a fancy goldfish?

Betty_B

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 06:46:26 PM »
Yes it does. It is probably a fantail as I can't see any lumpy head like an oranda, or funny scales like a pearlscale or funny eyes like some fancy goldfish have. And while they are more suited to tank life than the single tailed types, they do need a big tank.

This is why

Offline Betty_B

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 07:40:56 PM »
Yes it does. It is probably a fantail as I can't see any lumpy head like an oranda, or funny scales like a pearlscale or funny eyes like some fancy goldfish have. And while they are more suited to tank life than the single tailed types, they do need a big tank.

This is why

Hi Sue,

Wow,that picture is amazing.....from such a small fish to that big beauty!!

I intend to keep the fish.  I am on the look out for a suitably large tank.  The previous owner had them from babies, they are two years old.

I appreciate your help.

Regards

Betty_B

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 08:35:48 PM »
I intend to keep the fish.  I am on the look out for a suitably large tank.

Good call Betty. Don't be afraid of getting a second hand tank - as long as it's been looked after it will do the job perfectly and save you a lot of money in the process.

Have fun tank hunting but don't ask Chris213 for any purchasing advice - you'll end up with a 10 foot tank..... ;)

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 08:42:50 PM »
Have fun tank hunting but don't ask Chris213 for any purchasing advice - you'll end up with a 10 foot tank..... ;)

:raspberries  is my best reply  :rotfl:

Offline Betty_B

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 09:00:57 PM »

:raspberries  is my best reply  :rotfl:

When I search for a tank, am I looking for US or UK gallons?  From what I have read on here so far, a 40 gallon tank may be ok.  Is that 40 UK or 40 US as when they are converted to litres there is a big difference.

Thanks for all help so far.   :)

Regards

Betty_B

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 09:09:46 PM »
Aquarium volumes tend to be described in litres in the UK, rather than gallons (are you in the UK or US out of interest?). 40 gallon (UK) would be a good size at around 180 litres but 40 US gallon (about 150 litres) should still be more than adequate for the 2 fish you have (in my opinion).

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 09:34:54 PM »
When I search for a tank, am I looking for US or UK gallons?  From what I have read on here so far, a 40 gallon tank may be ok.  Is that 40 UK or 40 US as when they are converted to litres there is a big difference.
As long as you are aware of the size of the tank, it doesn't really matter whether they measure the volume in litres Gallons (UK) Gallons (US) or bushells come to that.  It is a good reason to try and stick to litres though as it is an international standard.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Betty_B

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 09:36:48 PM »
Aquarium volumes tend to be described in litres in the UK, rather than gallons (are you in the UK or US out of interest?). 40 gallon (UK) would be a good size at around 180 litres but 40 US gallon (about 150 litres) should still be more than adequate for the 2 fish you have (in my opinion).

UK

Again, thanks for Info.

Regards

Betty_B   :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 08:08:37 AM »
You could always ask the seller for the dimensions of the tank, then calculate it yourself.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 10:08:05 AM »
Usually, but not always, in fishkeeping gallons means American gallons. But Imperial gallons are sometimes used. This is one reason I prefer to use litres as then there's no confusion.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What type of fish are these two?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post November 02, 2014, 07:01:34 PM
by biffster
2 Replies
Last post November 17, 2014, 07:25:02 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post November 17, 2014, 07:25:35 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 11:45:41 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2015, 10:12:40 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 07:05:28 PM
by fcmf
13 Replies
Last post October 07, 2017, 12:30:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: