What To Put With Black Widow Tetras?

Author Topic: What to put with Black Widow tetras?  (Read 13942 times) 34 replies

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
What to put with Black Widow tetras?
« on: May 28, 2014, 05:58:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
To give myself something more pleasant to think about - rather than my plummeting pH levels and lack of cycling  :( - I've been thinking what to add (when it's finally cycled, of course!) to my 60L biOrb.  At the moment I have three Black Widows.  Should I add another two to hopefully discourage them from picking on the other fish? 

My current wish-list is to add 8-10 glowlight tetras and eventually a dwarf gourami.  The community creator doesn't show this as being a problem but I'd welcome any advice from you experts  :D   Also, are there no shrimp at all that would survive the Black Widows?  I did have my eye on the cherry shrimps, but now know that is a definite no-no.

Thanks!

Liz

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Black Widow Tetra (4) - Glowlight Tetra (7) - Cardinal Tetra (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
Re: What to put with Black Widow tetras?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 06:31:12 PM »
I haven't kept black widow's before so I'm not the best to advise but if you're having problems with aggression it could very well be the small shoal size - here's what seriously fish says:

"One of the better tetras for the ‘general’ community tank.....It can be kept with most livebearers, danios, rasboras, other tetras and peaceful bottom dwellers such as Corydoras or smaller Loricariids. It also makes a suitable companion for more robust dwarf cichlids such as kribensis.....Although it has a reputation as a bit of a fin nipper, this behaviour can usually be rectified by keeping it in a small shoal of at least 6-8 specimens. When maintained in these kind of numbers any squabbling is generally contained within the group."

Offline Andrea

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 11:15:53 PM »
Hi Liz,
I kept twelve black widows in my old tank with no problems at all, so it's a possibility that adding a few more would reduce their aggression. Do you have a few plants? If not, getting some would give any picked-on fish a way to hide.
With regards to the gourami, your tank isn't very big and I don't know if a fully grown dwarf gourami would have enough room. Have you thought about getting a couple of pygmy (sparkling) gouramis instead? I've always thought they're beautiful and they stay very small.
I can't help you with the shrimp I'm afraid :/
Good luck!

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 11:35:08 PM »
They're not actually showing any aggression at all - but have only had them 2 and a half weeks.  They swim around together and seem very chilled...  But who knows what will happen when more fish added.  They seem to have a bit of a reputation. 

I will take a look at pygmy gouramis Andrea.  If space permits, I would like a "centre piece" fish  :)  .  Would be nice to have some colour.

Thanks

Liz

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 07:01:19 AM »
Gouramis have long pectoral fins that are very tempting to any potential fin nippers, Experience with Black widows seems to vary, some find them very peaceful, some not.
Pygmy gouramis are known as very delicate fish, quite difficult and timid. I think they would need a well-planted tank with plenty of places to hide away. Single male dwarf gouramis are notoriously unpredictable and can become tank terrorists.
I doubt if there are many "centrepiece"  fish that would be comfortable in this type of tank.
Personally, I would stick to shoals of small fish. They often look much better than you might expect, if they are in a shoal, better than a few of this and one or two of that.  Other tetras would go well.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 08:17:35 AM »
A shoal of Ember Tetras would look good with the Black Widows. They can look drab in the shop, but soon colour up in the aquarium.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 11:20:48 AM »
I like the look of the ember tetras Colin.  If I got some of those AND some glowlight tetras would they shoal together do you think?  It would have been nice to have something blue (that's why I'd thought of the dwarf gourami) but I'm coming round to the idea of smaller fish in greater numbers - especially with the tank i've got (just have to convince the other half, lol).

Are there any small blue-ish fish that would be suitable?  I had originally wanted some cardinal tetras but not sure now....

At least choosing fish is a nice "problem"  ;D

Liz

Offline Richard W

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 11:51:42 AM »
Glowlight tetras are really nice, somewhat forgotten these days but ideal small tank fish. They should certainly get on with Embers. Small blue fish are few. There is the Blue tetra (see the profile on this site) not sure how they would get on in your tank, but they could be OK. There are also blue varieties of male guppy, but they do prefer harder water and a more mature tank and they might be nipped by the Black widows.

Offline Resa

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 02:49:06 PM »
Hi Digs :wave:

I'm no expert and probably of no help at all, but I did have a dwarf blue gourami, who was BEAUTIFUL, but you notice I said "did have". Unfortunately, they are prone to a disease, which sadly, my lovely Flockhart, as he was called, succumbed to. I wouldn't have another dwarf gourami because of this reason. It is very upsetting when everything is perfectly fine in your tank and you lose a fish because of a weakness outside of your control.
I haven't looked back through your posts I'm afraid to see what size your tank is or what your water conditions are like, but if you are specifically looking for blue fish, (they are my favourite too ;) ) then maybe blue neon tetras would be ok. They are on the fish profiler, so have a look. I was originally going to have them when I first got my tank, (then I went off on another tangent :-\ )
I have seen them in a shop here and they were really lovely.
Like I say, check and see what you think of them and if they are ok for your set-up.
Good luck :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 05:21:16 PM »
The blue neons are indeed beautiful  :D   Had wondered about having them with the Black Widows, but unless someone advises against it, I think I will go with that.  Will up my Black Widows to 5 and eventually (if my tank EVER cycles  ::) ) I will also add some glowlight or ember tetras and some neons.  Black, silver, orange, blue and red should be colourful enough, lol. 

I went to Pets at Home earlier and have to say the young man I spoke to was extremely helpful and patient.  He sounded to me like he knew his stuff - but then again how would I know... I know next to nothing!!  We'd only gone in so I could show hubby how pretty several glowlights looked together and happened to spot some zebra snails that looked really cool.  PAH man said snails wouldn't use up any of my "allowance" as they produce very little waste so maybe I'll be able to get some of those as well?

Can't WAIT to get more fish  :D :D   How will I ever last 6-8 weeks.... but don't worry, I'm learning to be patient  ::)

Liz

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 07:08:27 PM »
By blue neons, do you mean blue tetra? They are really lovely, unfortunately my tank isn't long enough for them. :(
I'm thinking of ember tetra for my 40cm cube tank. I'm planning to have lots of plants so should look nice.
How's the cycling going? I'm on day seven but am away from home so not able to test for next few days.

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 10:02:28 PM »
Hi Puffin,  yes i did mean Neon tetras.  Blue neons are probably a completely different fish, lol.  And please don't ask about my cycling.....   :yikes:   See my other thread and you'll see just how slow it is!  I'm on day 18 and so far nada, zilch, no ammonia-eating bacteria  :o

Do you know yet what fish you're going to have in your tank?

Liz

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 10:16:46 PM »
Oh dear, yes I'll take a look.
As well as ember tetra I fancy cpd, (lol autocorrect thinks I mean cod, not sure tank is big enough!) or cherry barbs, then again there's green neons. Also considering a shoal of cory.
Not all of these of course.

Ps
Having trouble with this site, not sure if it will let me post, anyone else??

Offline Resa

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »
Sorry...I meant Blue Tetras, but now I have seen that you have a Biorb, they would be no good for your tank as it would be far too small, I think. There's not enough swim room. Sorry to lead you astray, I have been out in the sun the last couple of days, so I am blaming that ;)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 10:32:19 PM »

lol autocorrect thinks I mean cod, not sure tank is big enough!

I can do you a good line in cod ;)

Also considering a shoal of cory.

What do you mean??? Only considering a shoal of Cories :o

Ps

It has behaved so far with me today, but it has had it's moments in the past ???

Offline Resa

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 10:33:28 PM »
Hey Steve....impressed or what! Look at all the quoty things I did there :rotfl:

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 11:15:37 PM »
Resa,
What do you mean??? Only considering a shoal of Cories -
Lol, what I mean is after my tank is cycled, I've bought my initial fish, it's had a bit of time to mature, and my bank balance has recovered from buying tank, stand, substrate, plants, testing kit, de chlorinatior, ammonia, Then I WILL be be buying a shoal of cories, species as yet undecided. ;)

Liz,
Shame about the blue tetra, how about green neons? Or any of the other fish I mentioned for my tank?
(Obviously as a newbie too, I have no idea on their compatibility with the current occupants)

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 11:52:45 PM »
Hey Steve....impressed or what! Look at all the quoty things I did there :rotfl:
Have a drink... on me! :cheers:

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 08:01:01 AM »
Ps

I had trouble yesterday, too.... but there was no sun to blame! I'm going to blame the unremitting grey drizzle instead.

Quote from: Resa
Hey Steve....impressed or what! Look at all the quoty things I did there.

Wow Resa..... very impressive! It's only taken a year and a half. :rotfl:

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 10:12:21 AM »

[quote

Wow Resa..... very impressive! It's only taken a year and a half. :rotfl:
[/quote]

You can't rush these things :rotfl:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What to put with Black Widow tetras?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 08:34:27 PM
by Philip
7 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 06:28:26 PM
by Sue
37 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 07:49:02 PM
by Digs1923
9 Replies
Last post July 20, 2014, 09:56:44 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 12:36:07 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2017, 09:32:39 AM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post August 03, 2020, 07:58:46 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: