What To Pick Next?

Author Topic: What to pick next?  (Read 5409 times) 12 replies

Offline tracym73

• Fishy Contributor
What to pick next?
« on: March 01, 2014, 08:31:12 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

I have a 190L corner tank which has been setup for about 4 months now, it is fully cycled and I have been extremely lucky and only lost one fish (the day after I bought it so I don't think that counts hopefully).

I am looking for inspiration for what to put in it next, something slightly bigger but that will not bully the fish I have already as I have a nice friendly community tank with a lot of characters.

So far I have:
1 Siamese fighter
6 Platies
4 Mollies
4 Red Robin Gouramis
1 Rubbernose Pleco (Bulldog)
1 Otto Loach
plus some teeny little baby Platies which are very good at hiding  :))

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Tracy x

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Guppy (male) (3) - Neon Tetra (4) - Japonica Shrimp (6) - Otocinclus (1) - Platy (2) - Guppy (male) (7) - Platy (6) - Bala / Silver Shark (1) - Clown Loach (4) - Black Neon Tetra (5) - Glowlight Tetra (4) - Bulldog Catfish (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: What to pick next?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 09:14:58 AM »
Morning Tracy :wave:

It's exciting getting your fish, isn't it? Are you new to fishkeeping?
Sue will call in and help you out properly with advice, but in the meantime, I thought I would just ask, is your Siamese fighter male or female? If it is a male you will have to be careful who he lives with. They are generally better (pardon the pun ;)0 in a smaller tank on their own or maybe with a snail.
My own fighter, Rafe, had to go in to my main tank when his tank sprang a leak. I was very lucky that he and all the other fish, which included a male dwarf gourami, behaved themselves and got along ok. I believe this was helped by Rafe being a bit of a gentleman and not one to flex his muscles and that he went in to the tank last, so he was not in a situation where he felt he had to guard his territory. If you add other fish to your tank....especially larger ones, I think you may have problems. You may be better advised to get another tank for the fighter, and then look at your stocking levels.
If you go to the community creator bit on this site, you can put in your tank dimensions and current fish and it will tell you how you stand with how many other fish, (if any) your tank can accomodate, and which ones will be compatible.
The other thing to say is that you will increase your numbers quite dramatically as your platys will keep on producing fry. Some will get eaten by the other fish but not all. You need to have a plan for what you are going to do with the ones that survive mealtimes ;) My own platys breed like....well..platys ;D but I have been lucky in that my local shop takes the babies....most won't. In fact, I am taking a load in today.
Also, while I think of it, if the CC says you have space for more fish, you should increase your oto numbers, they need to be in a shoal of six or more.
I'm sorry to be a bit of a damp squib about it all, but I should hate for you to have problems and upset your happy little community. If it works out you can add more fish, I can't recommend highly enough, the corydoras :) There are a lot of different ones to choose from, but they are all lovely friendly, peaceful fish with loads of character....I wouldn't be without mine. I have pepper cories (not salt & pepper, they are different.) and panda cories.  Have a look at them all, there's one for nearly every set-up, just find one that suits your tank size, water conditions and hardness of water. They just need to be on a sand or round gravel substrate, (to protect their barbels from damage and infection) and their water needs to be kept really clean (but it should be anyway ;)). They are wonderful fish and get along with everybody.

Well, enough blathering on at you, see what you think, and I'm sure there will be other suggestions posted in. Good luck with it all and let us know what you decide on in the end....pics are always good too ;) We love pics and I don't think we have had a corner tank on our gallery yet :-\

Have a good Saturday!

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline tracym73

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 10:21:21 AM »
Hi Resa,

Thanks for the response. I have had aquariums for years but just coming back to it after a gap of a couple of years. I got my 8yr old a wee tank last year with just some neons and guppies in it but the was enough to get me smitten again.

My fighter is a gorgeous blue male and he is really friendly, seems to be getting on great with the rest of the crew. To be honest I have had fighters in a communal tank for years with out any problems (except when i made a couple of ill advised purchases in the past and bought angelfish - lesson learned).

The CC says I am about 60% now and to be honest I think it looks like a good amount but i want to really plan what I get next. I have considered getting Corys of some kind but when I set up the tank I might have made a slightly ill advised decision on the gravel and went for slate as I thought it looked like a river bed and it is great for providing loads of hiding spaces for the little uns. Having said that it means I have to avoid fish that would get injured by it  :(

I am lucky with the Platy population though, as i said my daughter has a wee tank and I have already given all my boys to my mum so abstinence is definitely the best contraceptive - I will have to keep my eye open for the tiny babies that predated my tactics and give either my mum or my daughter the little boys before they can become amorous  ;)

I will definitely post a pic or two soon.

Thanks for your advice
Tracy x

Guppy (male) (3) - Neon Tetra (4) - Japonica Shrimp (6) - Otocinclus (1) - Platy (2) - Guppy (male) (7) - Platy (6) - Bala / Silver Shark (1) - Clown Loach (4) - Black Neon Tetra (5) - Glowlight Tetra (4) - Bulldog Catfish (2) -

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 10:38:40 AM »
Welcome Tracym73  :wave:

In addition to fab advice from Resa you may want to peruse the Fish Profile section for a little additional  inspiration - you might also want to try the fish community creator too.

An example of one is at the bottom of the page here .

Unfortunately, it's not tied to the forum software so you'll have to login with a username and password and then start picking. It's very handy though and great for giving you an idea of fish compatibility and sizes and what not!

:cheers:

Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 11:58:41 AM »
Corner tanks (ie triangular tanks) are not quite as easy to stock as rectangular ones of the same volume. Because of their shape, there is less swimming space horizontally so you need to avoid fast swimmers which need a fair length to swim in.
I agree with Resa - more otos! How much algae does your tank get? The reason for asking is that otos can be very picky when it comes to eating so you do need algae for them to feed on. There are ways to grow algae outside the tank, if you would need to do this, just ask  :D

With slate on the bottom, you are better avoiding fish that feed off the bottom. That not only eliminates cories and loaches, but also dwarf cichlids like apistogramas and rams.

You could look a a shoal of a species of tetra, or something like harlequins. A big shoal, maybe a dozen or so fish, would look spectacular. Though you would need to avoid nippy species with a betta and gouramis in the tank.

Offline tracym73

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 01:07:06 PM »
Thanks guys, I 've been using the community creator. It is a brilliant tool.

Thanks for the info about the ottos, to be honest I haven't had much luck with them up to now in my daughters tank but I did like them. Only had one at a time in there as well but they died after a month or two and algae definitely wasn't a problem - maybe they were lonely  :( Will try a few together if I can.

I will check out some of the tetras, I have always had a soft spot for neons so I will def think about them or other tetras and harlequins (never had them before).

Like you said though I want to be really careful, I have been really lucky both fighters and the gouramis are nervous by nature but mine are looking really happy and are seriously friendly so I don't want to upset them.

I do love guppies but a few people have said fighters might go for them, do you think they are a definite no no or do you think it is just personality dependent?

Thanks again you have given me a lot to think about  :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 01:33:16 PM »
Some people do get away with keeping guppies with bettas, others don't. A lot of bettas see a fish with long fins as another male, and attack them. Guppies have long flowing fins. I have actually witnesses confliction in a shop tank. The betta was herding the guppies, one at a time, into a corner and pouncing. All the guppies had bits missing from their tails.
Now endlers - slightly smaller than guppies, very colourful (males anyway, females are plain grey) but short tails. There are far fewer reports of problems with bettas and endlers.

Research any tetras before buying. You should be able to find which are fin nippers. There are some fish that just can't help themselves when faced with a fish with long flowing fins (bettas) or fish with dangly fins (gouramis)

Offline Resa

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 02:14:10 PM »
Hi Tracy,

It's an absolute minefield, isn't it? You'd think you could just decide which fish you fancy....and go get'em! I found it really frustrating when I was choosing my fish. It seemed every one I liked, couldn't be with another I wanted, or not that size tank or some other reason ::)
That's why the CC is so good though. You can play around with different ideas and see what community you would be happy with.

Just for info, I had a male dwarf gourami, male betta, guppies, platys and otos all in together...I was SO lucky that they all got on really well and I had no instances of fin nipping or aggression. Other things to know that may be useful in your decision making are, oto's are known for being a bit difficult. It seems that if they make the first month to six weeks in your tank they should be fine. I bought three (before I knew this or that they needed to be in sixes :-[0 One died within a week or so, the other two I still have...nearly a year later :)
I read somewhere, (don't remember where now) that the reason that they can die so quickly is because of how they are treated between capture and fish shop. If they are not fed or don't feed because of the stress, after capture and during transportation they obviously begin to starve, and sadly these little fish can't just start eating again once they have gone without...again..I can't remember why, I must try and find the article again. I should file them like Sue does. So, a tip for buying otos is, try and find out from the shop how long they have had them in stock...the longer, the better, and choose busy, plump looking ones. I drop a few algae wafers in my tank for them but to be honest they don't really get near them and prefer instead to munch on the algae. The other thing that is useful is a little softened courgette put in as a treat...but make sure you remove any uneaten bits after about an hour.

Guppies also have a tendency to die these days. This is due apparently to weakness developed from the breeding required to obtain those wonderful colours. Again, in my experience I bought 5, lost two within a few months but had the rest for a year...my last one recently died :'( I think locally bred ones (perhaps a hobbyist fish breeder) might be more reliable.

Lastly, yes, cories would be out of the question with your slate...a pity as they are lovely, lovely fish...but I'm probably biased ;)

Anyway, war & peace over, good luck with your choosing.....at least that's part of the fun!

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline tracym73

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 08:20:47 PM »
Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in posting again.

Endlers might well be a good alternative Sue thanks and I will definitely do some research into different types of tetra like you say those fins are just too tempting for some. I have been quite lucky I bought Zebras as my first fish because they are hardy and I expected I would have to move them to my mums tanks when I got my lovely fighter but they haven't bother with him at all.

Resa, thats great info on the Ottos I will definitely choose carefully next time. Its quite sad really  :'(
I had heard the same about guppies being a lot weaker than they used to be due to over breeding, I guess its much like any pedigree animals, makes me more than a bit angry.

Found white spot in my tank today so I had to treat that meaning I didn't get to buy any new fish today after all :( I am seriously thinking about setting up a quarantine tank so I don't have to keep medicating the whole lot. I have a wee 30L tank in the loft so just need a small heater oh and somewhere to put it which is harder than it sounds. Do any of you use a quarantine tank?

Thanks
Tracy

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 08:48:11 PM »
Depending on where I get fish from, I do. Mine is 25 litres. I just steal some media from the filter in my main tank for the QT filter when I need to set it up.
Whitespot is very common. New fish tend to bring it in. Because of the way the parasite attacks fish it is invisible at first, we can only see it when the bugs grown. A new fish could well be infected at purchase. And because being bought and put into a strange tank is stressful, the new fish tend to come down with it quite badly.

Zebra danios and bettas - when people have problems it's not the danios nipping the bettas, it's that danios are so zippy they stress bettas out.

Offline tracym73

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 08:59:54 PM »
Might give it a go then before I put any more in, I have already have everything I need apart from the heater so it wouldn't cost me much. I would rather do that than risk my other fish. Good advice about the media thanks.

Guess the tank set up must help then I have lots of places to hide and explore so keeps everyone happy  :)

thanks again  :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 09:34:34 PM »
In my QT, I don't use a substrate, but I do use plastic plants and caves made from sections of drainpipe - decor is necessary or the fish will get stressed. The lack of substrate makes it easier to keep the tank clean see if any poo looks odd. The decor is all easy to sterilise if that proves necessary. The tank also doubles as a hospital tank. If the tank does need to be sterilised, the filter media has to be forfeited, otherwise it goes back in the main tank's filter when the fish to in that tank.
You can chop up a bit of sponge to get it to fit in the QT's filter. The main tank's bacteria will be spread out evenly between the bits of media; the amount you'll need to take is the same proportion as the fish in the QT to the fish in the main tank.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 02:21:19 PM »
Welcome to forum

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What to pick next?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2018, 11:31:37 AM
by TopCookie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: