What To Do With Brown Stuff?

Author Topic: What to do with brown stuff?  (Read 2619 times) 4 replies

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
What to do with brown stuff?
« on: February 02, 2018, 08:03:45 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi, reporting in again, I've now had 6 Harlies for 5 days and they're doing OK. I've taken to calling them the babies  :rotfl:
However the tank is now getting covered in brown stuff  :yikes:, I'm assuming it's brown algae but since I've never seen brown algae I'm not sure, either way if I scrape it off the glass do I need to scoop it out as well, not sure if it's Ok to float around and end up in the filter?
Two, plants have given up the ghost and I've now removed them but the others are doing ok apart from some of the brown stuff covering some of the leaves.
Had a minor panic  :yikes: tonight as the ammonia seems to have risen, but I've done a water change and it seems to be ok now, suppose it might be the dying plants, as I only noticed them tonight and maybe the newbie error of over feeding, although I've been trying not too!
Thinking if I test the water and it's ok over the next couple of days and get rid of the brown stuff, I could maybe get my next 6 harlies on Monday, and a couple of replacement plants, what do think?
Oh and final question the harlies swim quite fast when the filter is on full and seem much more chilled when about half power, should I keep it like this or does the filter need to stay up high, especially if the water is going to be a bit dodgy?
As always any advice appreciated?  :fishy1:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: What to do with brown stuff?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 08:13:30 PM »
The brown stuff is a diatoms, a kind of algae. It is common in new tanks - it grows well if there is ammonia in the water. I would scrape it off right before you start a water change then you can suck it up while siphoning water out. Wipe the diatoms gently off the plants leaves as well. It is not harmful, just unsightly, and will go away once the tank has been running a while.

I would wait till ammonia has been zero for a week before getting more fish. You don't want to risk more ammonia showing up = more frequent and larger volume water changes. For now, test for both ammonia and nitrite every day and do a water change if either of them show a reading above zero.

You could try turning the filter flow down, it won't do anything to make the ammonia situation worse.
What is the maximum flow rate of the filter (it should be in the manual somewhere) and remind me, what is the tank volume?

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 08:33:07 PM »
Thank you, good advice as always👍
The tank is 240 litres, filter is a fluval 306, tech spec has this following, not sure which one is flow?
Pump output US Gal /L/Hr = 303/1150
Filtration volume US Qt. / L = 3.26/3.1
Filtration circulation US Gal / L/Hr = 206/780
Not sure which one it is and there is also the following
Mechanical area
Biological volume
Filtration volume
Max water column height
Do you need any of these?

Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 08:45:15 PM »
The flow rate is 1150 litres per hour (I looked at Hagen's website to make doubly sure  :) ) That should be OK for a 240 litre tank. It is 4.8 times the tank volume per hour. And since they quote a flow rate of an empty filter, the flow rate with media inside will be lower than that.

But you can reduce the flow without reducing the flow  :) By this I mean that if you turn the spray bar round so the water comes out on the glass side of the bar, you'll still get the same flow through the filter but it won't be as strong for the fish.
Harlequins are slow water fish so they don't appreciate fast flowing water.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 08:49:26 PM »
Brill, I'll change that now and follow your advice re water testing, patience is the name of the game!

No doubt talk soon.  :fishy1:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What to do with brown stuff?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post October 15, 2016, 08:17:53 PM
by Matt
17 Replies
Last post January 21, 2018, 04:17:28 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 04:50:32 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 09:39:30 AM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 08:05:43 PM
by Littlefish
2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2019, 09:21:46 AM
by Emmdee
0 Replies
Last post November 15, 2019, 09:22:44 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: