What Shrimp Can I Get, How Many And When!?

Author Topic: What shrimp can I get, how many and when!?  (Read 27111 times) 40 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
What shrimp can I get, how many and when!?
« on: April 14, 2013, 10:58:14 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I realise I've already talked about this several times now - but I figured I'm make a more obvious thread and see what people thought / compile all the information into one convenient place!

My tank is a 23l fluval edge with 8 endlers in

All my parameters have so far been really stable - every time I've measured they've been 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite and nitrate has always been about the same as my tap so somewhere between 0 and 20ppm.

However it's still really early days yet - I've had my fish around 2 weeks now (wow time goes fast!)

I remember being recommended the cherry red as a started shrimp, though my boyfriend was really annoyed about how small they were when I showed him a picture earlier!

Also any advice on looking after shrimps would be appreciated!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

Re: What shrimp can I get, how many and when!?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 07:46:28 AM »
They need hiding places so they can moult safely as they're 'soft' after a moult. Mine like it underneath the bog-wood (which I've got propped up at the back so there is a definite underneath).

They seem to like safety in numbers. With just five I didn't see much of them, but now there're ten then they're much more out-going.

Apart from that then they've taken no looking after at all. The tank's mature enough to provide all the food they need without buying special shrimp food.

Ignore the boyfriend - always best! ;D ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:45:14 AM »
It's a question of hardiness, size and prettiness.

Ghost shrimps and amano shrimp are pretty hardy, but they are colourless (well, amanos have dark red spots down their sides). Ghost shrimp would be OK if you don't mind shrimps it'll be hard to spot. I would not get amanos though. I have 3, a female and 2 male. Yes, they are small when you get them but they grow. The males are about the same size as my endlers, maybe a bit bigger, but the female is the second largest creature in my 125 litre. She's bigger than the honey gouramis, the dwarf chain loaches and about twice the size of the male endlers. The only thing bigger than her is the male cockatoo apisto. Although she's not touched any fish while I've been watching, she is in a tank somewhat larger than yours so they aren't pushed together by lack of space. I wouldn't risk amanos.

Cherry shrimps are hardy and pretty, but small. They grow to about endler size. I've had a few in my 50 litre for 3 weeks. Don't let your boyfriend be put off by the size they are in the shop and they will grow a lot bigger than that. Depending where you go, some cherries are redder than others - like fish, I think they are being bred to intensify colour these days.

Crystal red, crystal black, etc are much less hardy so I would avoid these for your first shrimp.

Don't get any shrimp with long arms. They will grow quite big and eat your endlers. Anything with arms and claws on the end of them will take down small fish. You'll find these shrimp mis-labelled as algae shrimp.

As Colin says, you need decor for them to hide in. I've never fed my amanos, they compete with the fish for their food, even running away with a bit of food in their 'arms'. Admittedly I haven't had the cherry shrimps very long (bought them 23/3/13) but I've had the amanos for ages (bought 18/2/09) - maybe that's why the female is so big. I did lose one of them last year, a female, but the other 3 are still going strong.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 09:50:07 AM »
Haha wow - I hadn't realised if I got shrimps too big they would eat my fish! There was me worrying about the opposite problem ha. I am more inclined towards the cherry red shrimp - they seem pretty cute to me and endler size seems in suiting with the tank. I saw a shrimp in a pet store labelled 'santa shrimp' - is that a different type of shrimp entirely? That was what he was basing the shrimp being small on originally. I think he was just sulking because we were hoping to have marine fish originally ^^; I am quite keen to do a marine setup but it sounds very complicated and confusing... I'm not sure I'm quite ready to handle that yet! Will see how my current tank does and maybe after we move house we can get a marine tank! (Will be looking to this forum for lots of advice RE: moving tank, but that won't be for quite a while yet!)

RE: hiding places I've got lots of fake plants, stones, and one of my pieces of bogwood has a little 'cave' type section to it (one of the reasons I bought it) - thought my endlers sometimes swim under that so perhaps not an ideal spot for hiding! There's a little bit of algae on the rocks in my tank, and my endlers are always picking at the gravel... but I can't see much in the way of food. I wouldn't mind buying food to feed them though, I know the LFS I got my blue endlers from has shrimp food and they were selling almond leaves for shrimp (not entirely sure what these are!)

Had a quick google of the ghost shrimp - they're quite cool looking but I think you're right that I'd prefer something more colourful! The crystal red are gorgeous looking things, but yes definitely don't want to kill off my shrimp so will be avoiding the temptation of these! Wow I had no idea shrimp lived for that long too... actually come to think of it I never asked how long my endlers would live for! :-(

It's looking like the cherries are my best option. In the Maidenhead near to me they had in stock recently wood shrimp (I think they're huge though), green, orange and red shrimp. Are they generally hardy as well or are they a different kettle of... shrimp?? (actually looking at the photos I took a few weeks ago in Maidenhead all these shrimp did seem bigger than the ones I saw yesterday!)

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:09:37 AM »
This is the web-site I use for shrimpy facts'n'figures (Clickety click).

I know what you mean about marine shrimps. MrsB and I were in MA on Sunday and they had some Fire Shrimps in the marine section. They were huge, (this seems to be roughly life-sized):

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »
Yeah we were originally planning on getting black and white clown fish and the shrimp we saw were 'cleaner shrimp' - huge!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »
I've thought about a move to the salty-side somewhere in the future and have spent a few hours googling around and reading stuff. It's basically the same...... except there's very little wiggle room for the water parameters. Freshwater fish come from rivers etc which flood, dry up a bit, get sediment, rain etc. so they're very adaptable to different conditions. Marine fish live in a very stable environment and they've never had to adapt to changes - so they can't.

Here's someone who's made a marine tank out of a Fluval Edge - I thought it might interest you. (Clickety click)

Clownfish back right. You could probably keep a bonded pair in a 46 litre Edge.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 10:43:12 AM »
Oh wow that is cool! Yeah marine tanks do sound quite scary - though apparently clownfish are rated as 'easy' (?! Is there such a thing with a marine setup!).

That website is really helpful Colin, think I shall be getting some cherry red! Just how many is the new question!

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 11:39:33 AM »
Cherry or sometimes Cherry Red shrimp are Neocaridina Heteropoda var Red.  This means that they are a red variety of Neocaridina Heteropoda.  There are loads of other colour varieties of this species around including Yellow, Red & White, Green, Orange and Yellow and Black and others.  You can get whatever takes your fancy or that you can find, but don't mix them as they will interbreed.  The Santa Shrimp you saw was probably a red and white version of Neocaridina Heteropoda.

There are some larger species available but the only ones I know of that are significantly bigger are filter feeding shrimps and you should avoid these.  The Wood Shrimp is a filter feeder. (This doesn't mean they eat your filter, rather they have 'fans' on the end of their arms with which they filter microrganisms from the water).

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 11:40:37 AM »
Since shrimp don't have a very big bioload, you could fit half a dozen.

There are two other shrimpy sites besides Colin's this one and this one

Offline jesnon

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 11:27:22 AM »
Hmm I thought I had replied to these posts but looks like I didn't - sorry about that! Thanks for the information guys, I'm trying to be patient and wait a few more weeks until I get my little shrimpies (half a dozen sounds great to me!). Watch this space!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 01:19:30 PM »
I'm considering getting my shrimpies in the next few weeks or so - do you think this is a good idea or is it still too soon? All of my levels have so far been great, though I realised the other day I might have been doing a little excessive water changes! I've been doing between 20-25% water changes twice a week, I think it should be smaller than this right if I'm doing twice a week? I think I need to start writing it down so I can keep a better track, sounds silly I know but it's hard to remember when I've done water changes and what I've been feeding as I can't stick to a specific day regime as a shift worker!

I don't think I'll be adding a new fish to replace Madge, but only have 7 endlers does make me a little sad! I'm not sure if I did add another endler what type it would be - either bringing up the 'traditional' endler numbers or the Japanese blue numbers. Hmm

Offline ColinB

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 01:27:08 PM »
Hiya Jesnon.

D'you want them to breed? If so then Red Cherry Shrimps are often touted as 'best buy'. I started with 5 and a while later I had 10. I'm really not sure how many I have now - too many hiding places for them. MrsB thinks they're great and my fish don't bother them at all.

I know some forum members have Amano shrimp so you'll no doubt hear from them soon.

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 02:11:33 PM »
I'm an amano owner  ;D

The main downside to amanos is their lack of colour - see-though grey with dark red spots (males) or dashes (females) down their sides. Cherries are a lot prettier. I have some of those as well, got them about a month ago.
The other possible problem with amanos is their size. My males are maybe a tad bigger than a male endler, but the female is a lot bigger. She doesn't show any interest in the fish, but this is a 125 litre tank with plenty of room for them to get away from each other.

If it were me, I'd go for cherries. Prettier and smaller.

Don't forget to acclimate them carefully, even more so than fish. Float the bag, wait 15 mins to equilibrate the temp then add a small amount of tank water to the bag every 10 mins for an hour. Then net them out of the bag. But be warned, shrimp can be awkward things in nets. They can, and do, jump out of them. Get a shrimp right into the bottom of the net, then get hold of the net as near the rim as you can and squeeze it closed to stop the shrimp escaping. Take your hand away when the net is under water. It is possible to pick a shrimp up off the floor but it's not easy.

Water changes - 25 - 30% a week is fine for an established tank. And anything that makes life easier is worth doing, such as making a note of the days you do water changes.

TigzFish

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 03:23:44 PM »
Amano owner here too, I have 9.  Would now prefer Cherries.

The main downside to amanos is their lack of colour

Poo, or rather the Amano's poo an awful lot if they have too much to eat.  As they are a lot bigger than Cherries, the amount of poo is bound to be greater.  I'd definately go for Cherries if I had a choice now.  In fact, as I'm keeping my old 64 Ltr (oh heck, MTS), I think I'll be getting a few in there.

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 03:49:38 PM »
Ahh but if you also have nerite snails, you don't notice the amanos' poo  ;D

Offline SteveS

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 04:09:02 PM »
No! Please! Not again! Can we please, please, not get into poo again!

I too would go for one of the colourful varieties of neocaridina heteropoda.  Cherries are the easiest and cheapest to get hold of.  But there lots of others.  Amanos, given their [lack of] colour can be difficult to see and with the heteropoda you get the added benefit of them being able to breed.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 07:35:41 PM »
Haha yes we'll try and avoid another poo conversation!

Colin - I'm not too bothered about breeding, as my tank is quite small, so I imagine if they breed too much I might have to donate them to others / my LFS if they'll take them.

I'm pretty much decided on the 'heteropoda' as Steve officially calls them :-) The MA down the road actually had some orange ones, and green I think as well as cherry red. The orange ones were pretty cute, though not quite as bright so I would guess it's between them and the cherry red ones - both are regularly in stock so depending on my timing won't be too hard to get hold of. I know the shop I got my Blue endlers from has shrimp food etc so for the start of keeping them I might try that as I don't know how much food there is in the tank (though my endlers are constantly foraging around).

Sue thanks for the advice about acclimatising and adding them to the tank - sounds pretty complicated and stressful (or at least the netting part!). Stupid question but with the adding water to the bag - how do you do this? I've never been able to get the bags open apart from ripping them which wouldn't work when adding extra water I guess.

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 07:49:30 PM »
What I do depends on how they are closed. If it's the elastic band method, that's easy. The knotted ones are more difficult. If I can get the knot untied, good. But usually I can't so I cut the bag just under the knot. That does reduce the bag size but not by too much.
My MA uses round bottomed bags and it can be very tricky getting fish etc out of the bag with a square net.

Offline SteveS

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »
Stupid question but with the adding water to the bag - how do you do this? I've never been able to get the bags open apart from ripping them which wouldn't work when adding extra water I guess.

I just untie the knot.  It takes a bit of fiddling around though, and you need strong fingers.  The best way if you can't undo the knot, is to cut it off with scissors.  Then fold down the top a few times; that will create a sort of flotation ring.  I then peg it to the side of the tank to prevent it going on a whirlygig tour. Then Bob's your uncle.

(Whoops... See Sue agrees!!! )

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What shrimp can I get, how many and when!?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2013, 09:02:36 PM
by water watcher
2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 11:13:34 AM
by jesnon
33 Replies
Last post May 02, 2016, 08:25:53 PM
by AdyDnt
3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 01:43:55 PM
by tropicalhabitat
4 Replies
Last post March 10, 2014, 03:58:13 PM
by Richard W
1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 09:26:52 AM
by Sue
22 Replies
Last post April 16, 2018, 10:59:47 AM
by daveyng

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: