What Fish To Start With ?

Author Topic: What fish to start with ?  (Read 6818 times) 17 replies

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
What fish to start with ?
« on: December 29, 2012, 08:33:48 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have been given a tetra aqua art . It holds 60 litres. I have set it up with gravel and live plants. I was thinking of some tetras to start but after reading on the fish profiles these seem a bad idea. Also the reccomended tank length is in a lot of cases  longer than mine. I was wondering any fish that are good to start with, i do have 2 small kids so any fish that are a bit nervous might not like faces at glass and noise .  :o

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Neon Tetra (5) - Zebra Danio (2) - Japonica Shrimp (5) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Golden Barb (4) - Angelfish (1) - Black Molly (2) - Rosy Barb (7) - Guppy (male) (12) - Platy (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
Re: What fish to start with ?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 09:51:08 PM »
Hi Billy,

When you were given the tank do you know if it was cycled, the filter needs matured bacteria to be established before you add any fish?

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 12:40:03 PM »
I'm not sure what cycle means but guess not as it is new from shop. They said to wait a minium of 5 days then come back with a water sample. do you have to wait for the bacteria to grow naturally or do you have to add some to water ? I guess like a lot of people new to this you think all that is involved is a tank and some water .

Neon Tetra (5) - Zebra Danio (2) - Japonica Shrimp (5) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Golden Barb (4) - Angelfish (1) - Black Molly (2) - Rosy Barb (7) - Guppy (male) (12) - Platy (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 12:53:01 PM »
Fish shops very rarely tell you about cycling the filter. All waiting five days will do is tell you if the tank leaks and if your filter and heater work. A lot of shops will say to add some bacteria from a bottle, but most people who have used them find they don't work - and the ones that do only speed things up a bit not do it instantly.

The term cycling comes from the nitrogen cycle:
Fish secrete ammonia. This is toxic to them, it burns their skin and gills making it hard for them to breathe. In a cycled filter, there are bacteria living in the filter which turn this ammonia into nitrite. But nitrite is also toxic; it binds to the fish's blood stopping it absorbing oxygen. In a cycled filter, there is another species of bacteria which turns the nitrite into nitrate. Nitrate is only toxic at very high leels, and we remove it with water changes.
But an uncycled filter does not have any bacteria in it so the fish will suffer firstly from ammonia poisoning, then once the bacteria start to grow and make nitrite, from nitrite poisoning.

Cycling a filter means growing these bacteria. It takes a couple of months for enough bacteria to grow in the filter to support a tankful of fish. The easiest way to do it is to add a source of ammonia to the tank and wait till the bacteria grow, then get fish. There is a 'how to' thread on the way to do this here:
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16.0.html

It is possible to cycle the filter with fish as the source of ammonia but it does take a lot of work keeping these fish alive. It can be done successfully if you start with only a few fish (I would suggest no more than 3 for a 60 litre tank) and are prepared to do daily water changes for a couple of months. Here's the 'how to' thread:
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17.0.html

Can I suggest you read through those two threads and see what's involved with both methods. Then you'll have something to help you decide which to do.

I do realise that your children might not understand why there are no fish in the tank (fishless cycling) but the alternative could well be explaining why the fish have died if you rush to get a lot of fish and don't do the water changes.

The other thing to ask is - what is your tapwater like? If you look on your water company's website, somewhere there should be information on water quality and hardness. You need to know the pH and hardness of your tapwater. They will influence which fish will thrive in your tank and which will struggle.

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 08:47:18 PM »
Thankyou for all the advice, i will look into the different options but i guess the fishless cycle is best. The 4 yr old is really excited about choosing the fish but making him wait is going to be easier than explaining why his fish have died.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »
If your 4 year old would be interested, you could let him 'help' with the water testing (ie watch you do it  :) ), that could help with the wait.

One advantage to fishless cycling is that because you have to wait to get fish, you do have plenty time to decide on what to get. Go fish window shopping, see what all your local shops sell, go home and google them. That'll help you find out what you like, what will go together, what will fit in your tank and what fish to avoid.
Have you found the community creator on here? It is hidden a bit. Go to 'fish profiles', find a fish you like the looks of in the database, then scroll right down to the bottom of its profile. Fill in your tank details in the boxes and click save. Then you just click on 'add this fish to my tank' for the fish you want, updating the numbers of them for shoaling fish. If you want to save the data you do have to 'join', I just used the log-in data for the main site.
Tip - tetras are under characins, and 'others' covers quite a few types of fish so look there as well.

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 06:41:59 AM »
All the best to you Billy.

Do you know anybody else with a fish tank, if they have had one going for some time their filter media will be established and if they gave you some and you put it in your filter that would short cut the process and in a mater of a couple of days you could introduce fish.
Some fish shops will let you have some but not all do it, I have read one or two Maidenhead Aquatics do it but again not all of them, you would need to ring round to check.
Other than that it's the fishless cycle I'm afraid.

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 12:20:58 PM »
We are going to a maidenhead aquatics place this afternoon. Our local place we have been going to never seem to have time to talk about our questions and were the ones that said come back in 5 days to test water and start buying fish ! I think i know someone with a fish tank so will try to get some from them . We have already put the plants in do you think we should have waited ? In the info it said to leave plants out.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 12:38:11 PM »
The main reason I said to leave plants out in the how to thread is that it increases the likelyhood of algae. If there are plants in the tank, you have to have the lights on a few hours a day. But because there is a lot of ammonia in the water during cycling, this encourages algae to grow. Having the lights on encourages it faster. So long as you don't mind some algae, by all means leave the plants in. Though I have heard reports that some plants can't cope with high levels ammonia - but I freely admit that I'm not good with plants so I have no idea which ones.

If you can find someone with a fish tank, ask them if they'll swap a bit of their old media for your new media, or buy them some new for their filter. It doesn't matter what it is - sponges, noodles, ceramic balls - all you need to do is get it in your filter even if it means chopping a sponge up to make it fit or using the foot of a pair of tights to hold ceramic media. Then do a fishless cycle. With the old media to seed your new media, the cycle should take very little time.
Treat the used media as you would a fish. Bring it to your house in a bag of tank water and keep it wet all the time. Start adding ammonia the same day or the bacteria will begin to starve.
If you really want to get fish sooner rather than later, if you do manage to get some old media, check the bacteria survived the transplant by adding 1ppm every 24 hours for a few days, and measure ammonia and nitrite 12 hours after each addition. If both show zero for several days, you would be safe to get 3 or 4 fish, then build the rest of the stocking plan up slowly as for fish-in cycling.

Don't let Maidenhead Aq talk you into getting some fish until the filter is cycled or you have some old media!!!!!!

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 04:43:54 PM »
Ha Ha. We went there expecting to buy a test kit and see if they had some media or to try a friend for some. you obviously know them very well because we left there convinced by them that if we bought 3 cherry barbs or danios we would have no problems. All we need to do is take some water in a jam jar they can test it . They did say only 2 or 3 small fish to start with , then in a few weeks you can add a few more. I think i will try some friends first, hopefully they can help. 

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 06:42:05 PM »
Was that take a jam jar of water in, they'd test it and if that showed OK they'd let you buy fish? That's a favourite of a lot of shops. You have hopefully gathered by now that the reason the water would show as OK is that there's nothing in it to make it not-OK. As soon as fish go in it becomes not-OK very quickly.

I suppose I should be a bit fairer to shops. Yes there are some that don't know what they are talking about, and there are some that will lie to make a sale. But the vast majority of customers want a living ornament. They don't want to wait a few weeks to do a fishless cycle; they don't want to test the water and do water changes. Fish are cheap, they just replace the dead ones and the filter eventually cycles. When faced with this sort of customer, the shop is fighting a losing battle trying to explain things. Most shops would go out of business if they tried to explain fishless cycling as the customer would only go elsewhere.
Customers who care do their research  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 06:50:11 PM »
Nearly forgot.

If you manage to find someone with a tank who'll let you have some media, it is safe for them to let you have up to a third of their media, though they should reduce the amount they feed for a couple of days before and after and keep an eye on their water. In theory, if you have a third of their media, you should be able to get a quarter of the fish in their tank immediately. That's what I do if I need to set up a new tank - steal some media from one of my other filters. But because you'll have to transport it to your house, there is a risk of bacteria die-off which is why it's worth checkiing with ammonia to make sure everthing is OK before getting fish.

You can leave the old media in there permanently or repalce it a couple of months after you finally have a fully stocked tank.
And on the subject of media, don't replace it like the instructions will probably say. That's just another money making ploy.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 08:00:56 AM »
I've just added 6 Cherry Barbs (3m & 3f)  to my 55litre tank - and they're great to watch as the 'boys' display and sort out their pecking order. They do like stuff to nose around in like plant stems, Anubias roots and bogwood with Java Fern on it.

One species NOT to get (IMHO) is Guppies. They look very appealing in the shop, but they're weak and prone to infection. The first thing I did on New Year's Day was pull Tarragon the Flame-tail Guppy out of my hospital tank and euthanise him as he was full of worms and had sunk!  :'(

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 08:09:49 PM »
great news today, a friend with their own tank brought a sponge . he is going to come back at weekend to show us how to test water and make sure all ok. so hopefully we can get the first couple of fish soon.  ;D

TigzFish

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 09:01:49 PM »
That's great to hear Billy.  Always nice to have a friend to give a helping hand. Not long now, patience. You'll have your first fishes in no time.  ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 09:03:55 PM »
Since you now have a mature sponge in your filter you need to keep the bacteria alive. Do you have any fish food? If you do, crunch some up and add it to the tank. Do this every day till you get your first fish. It will decompose to make ammonia and keep the bacteria fed. If you don't have any food, get some asap. You'll need it when you get fish so you may as well get it now.

Don't forget, not too many fish to start with, then add more very slowly so the bacteria can keep up. They multpily very slowly so don't rush things.

Offline Billy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 08:44:02 PM »
we have some fish !! The water seems ok in the the tests, so we bought 3 leopard danios which seem happily settled in. I think we nneed to leave it a couple of weeks before we add any more ? When we do add to the fish should we get more of the same or get a different species ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 08:58:36 PM »
You need to keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels daily for the next few days. If they stay at zero, you can get more fish in a week. I would suggest getting more danios as they are shoaling fish and will be happier with more of them. Since leopard danios appear to be a variety of zebra danios, you could get either more leopards or zebras, they will be happy in a combined shoal.

If your ammonia and/or nitrite readings show more than zero, you'll need to do water changes to keep them down, then wait a week of zeros before getting more fish.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What fish to start with ?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Fat Fish

Started by Chucklett « 1 2 » Fish Health

34 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 06:56:08 PM
by Chucklett
15 Replies
Last post November 14, 2012, 06:38:36 PM
by Chucklett
10 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 07:05:39 PM
by Chucklett
12 Replies
Last post January 07, 2013, 04:52:32 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post April 22, 2014, 07:36:26 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2015, 03:29:39 PM
by nickyarthur
8 Replies
Last post December 02, 2016, 05:54:18 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: