Tips For Cleaning Tank (Siphoning)

Author Topic: Tips For Cleaning Tank (Siphoning)  (Read 4050 times) 6 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Tips For Cleaning Tank (Siphoning)
« on: April 11, 2013, 05:29:10 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Silly question number 500 coming up...!

So I did my second ever water change since adding my fish today, around 25% (maybe a bit more, it's hard to tell). I didn't get very far with the siphon before I'd done enough of a water change and had to stop. My endlers seem fascinated with the siphon and constantly swim up to it whilst I'm trying to clean the tank for them, silly things!

However one thing I've noticed, when I pull the siphon out of the water it spits back the last part in the tube back into the tank - along with some of the dirt that I've just sucked up. How can I avoid it doing that? And is there a way to put my fish off the siphon!? Hopefully next time I'll cover more of the gravel ha!

Steve replied with

You'll get better with the vacuuming as you get more practice.

I have found that it is next to impossible to prevent the fish from interfering.  You are kicking up the stuff in the substrate and they are investigating in case there's anything they can eat.  You have to careful because you can end up siphoning one of your fish out of the tank!

To prevent expelling dirt when you withdraw the siphon there are two things you can try.  First lift up the siphon from the bottom and let it run for a while just sucking mid-tank water.  This should flush all the crud into your bucket.  Second, put your finger over the bucket end of the siphon before lifting it up.  This may prevent the stuff being released back into the tank (or it may not depending on how lucky you are)!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

Re: Tips For Cleaning Tank (Siphoning)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »
I actually siphoned up Crumble the Platy not long after I brought him home. The was squeezed half-way up the tubing when I noticed him and we sort of looked at each other for a few seconds..... then I broke the siphon and he slid back into the tank.

He's still swimming about happily so it's not done him any harm, apparantly. He hasn't learnt from the experience as he still follows the siphon around.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 06:48:47 PM »
I've sucked up plenty of fry in my time. Recently I hoovered up a pygmy cory - it got stuck in the tube but came straight out when I shook it a bit. Because I have sand, I just use the tubing, not the wide plastic thing that attaches to the tubing, and it is much easier to suck fish up with that  :-\
One tip I can give you - use your free hand to hold the tubing. You can control where the water comes out - the bucket or the floor - and also you can pinch the tube instantly to stop the water flow without breaking the suction if you do get a fish stuck.

But I did once damage a betta. I took my eyes off him while I poked the tube under the heater and his tail got sucked up - and a chunk got ripped off. He never went near the siphon tube again. And I'm now extra careful around bettas.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 07:25:56 AM »
I just use the tube, too, and I've cut a 'bic-biro' top down to fit in the end and enlarged the hole a bit. This gives a reduced flow and less chance of hoovering up a fish. And just as Sue describes, it's much easier to control the flow by pinching the tube. I even used a red biro top so I could see it more easily and hoped that the fish would instinctively be more scared of a red thing. They're not!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 12:08:09 PM »
What great tips!  I shall certainly try taking the fat nozzle off of my siphon.....my fishies all seem to have a suicide pact going when I clean them out too ;D ;D

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 01:46:03 PM »
I can't remember - do you have sand or gravel?
You need the fat tube for gravel, to poke down into the gravel to get all the bits that have fallen through. But with sand you just need the narrow tube as the debris lies on the surface and just has to be sucked off. It took me a few go's to get used to cleaning sand after over a decade with gravel. I've stopped worrying about sucking bits up, I just wash any in the bucket and put it back in the tank.

Offline Resa

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 04:42:56 PM »
Time for a cuppa and a forage through the forum :D
Sue, just to be awkward, I have both sand and gravel.  This is because initially I used gravel and then on reading that my little pandas, which as you know, I am desperate to get, needed to have a smoother substrate because of their barbels, I put a large(ish) swathe of sand down in the centre of the tank.  I realise this is probably not ideal but I was worried about removing all my gravel as I was still cycling and didn't want to rock the boat too much. I have been quite pleased with it though as Flockhart, my colisa (hubby named him!) likes to eat his wafers off of the sand while the platies like to root around in the gravel.
It's a water change day though so I will give the siphon a go with and without the nozzle attached.
It seems I have 10 baby platies and they seem to grow while you watch, they're all getting their blue marbling now too.  They're very sweet :)

I'm very sorry to see that you have to wait so long for your father-in-laws funeral, it does sort of leave you in limbo a bit, doesn't it?  I hope it goes as well as it can do for you.

Resa

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tips For Cleaning Tank (Siphoning)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 03:58:54 PM
by dbaggie
9 Replies
Last post November 22, 2014, 09:49:14 AM
by Aquamaid
4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2015, 01:58:27 PM
by Fiona
7 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 01:14:58 PM
by Extreme_One
5 Replies
Last post December 21, 2017, 08:19:44 AM
by Rustle
4 Replies
Last post December 29, 2018, 04:13:50 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post January 31, 2020, 06:47:08 AM
by LeakysLab

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: