What Fish To Get?

Author Topic: What fish to get?  (Read 32575 times) 101 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: What fish to get?
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2013, 04:24:42 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Guppies have a terrible reputation these days for just dying for no apparent reason. If all the other fish in the tank are OK, I usually put it down to yet another batch of iffy guppies.

I have heard reports that if you can source guppies that have been locally bred, they are much hardier than those you buy in shops. The best place to keep an eye out for locally bred is the website aquarist-classifieds.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2013, 08:36:09 PM »
Yeah I have to say I was entranced by the ones in MA, but as soon as I got home and looked them up on here it put me right off!

Here's my fish tank so far. I've not added any water yet though as I'm waiting until my extra sponge to replace the carbon clean and clear arrive (3 of my fishy parcels decided to arrive whilst I was at work, hmph!)

Does it make any difference if I add the dechlorinator when the tank is full or whilst it's in the buckets when I'm adding the water for the first time? I'm guessing not but who knows!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2013, 09:29:34 PM »
For the first time it doesn't matter. You will need to add enough dechlorinator to treat all the water so it doesn't matter when or where you add it so long as you do.

When you do water changes later, either add enough dechlorinator to the bucket of new water at the right dose for just the amount new water, or add it to the tank at the dose for the whole volume of the tank. The reason for this is, if you add it to the bucket and treat each bucketful as you go, then the water in the bucket is pure tapwater (if there is such a thing  ;D ) so the dechlorinatpr just has to remove the chlorine from that bucketful. But in a tank which has fish and plants in, there will be things secreted by the fish/plants calles dissolved organic compounds (DOCs for short) and these DOCs also react with dechlorinator. If you add just the amount for the new water straight to the tank, some will react with the DOCs and there won't be enough left to remove all the chlorine in the new water. The same applies if you have a big tank and use several buckets of water to do a water change, and add all the dechlorinator to the one bucket.
With an Edge, one bucketful should be more than enough, so once you have fish, add dechlorinator to the bucket. If you ever get a tank so big you have to refill it with a hosepipe, that's when you'd need to add it straight to the tank.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2013, 09:43:35 PM »
Thank you Sue, that makes sense! Can I just move you guys in with me whilst I'm getting used to my tank? :-D

After so much worrying about my tank being a little frustrating to clean, I think I might be OK with it! It was a little annoying to adjust things inside the tank but I reckon it should be OK, just a little bit fiddly!

I'm now wondering if I've had too wild ambitions for the contents of my tank though... is a small bogwood with java fern and a moss ball going to be a bit much in addition to everything else I have in there!? If anyone has any suggestions for how the items in my tank will look at there best do suggest away too - I was a little erratic with my positioning!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2013, 01:04:14 PM »
My API test kit has arrived - yay! I tested my ammonia as advised by Sue as I haven't heard back for the company... the test kit is quite hard to use based on the colours! Though it looked to be between 4ppm and 8ppm on the colour guide, edging more towards the 4ppm colour so I added 1.2ml of ammonia to my tank and I'm leaving it to mix a bit before I test again. I set the tank up yesterday and added the 'cycle' starter though I doubt it'll do much, they don't give you very much of it either!

I think I'll start a new thread for all my readings etc! Exciting!

Offline Sue

« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2013, 01:50:05 PM »
Just a heads up with the API ammonia tester - if you read it under an energy saving light bulb or other fluorescent light, they tend to make the water in the tube look a bit greener than it really is. It doesn't affect the colour chart though. This will be important when the ammonia level in the tank starts to fall - is it zero or 0.25? If you have one, read it under an old fashioned light bulb, or in daylight if you can manage it during the day. If in doubt, test a sample of pure water. Tapwater can have ammonia in it, so if you have a bottle of water to hand, test that instead.
And the nitrate test bottle 2, you really do have to shake it like it says, if not more. With a new tester or one that's not been used a while, tap the bottle on the worktop a few times before shaking. One of the reagents settles on the bottom of the bottle and the shaking is to mix it back in before using. If it's stood a while, the sediment can solidify into a lump, the tapping is to break up any lumps. Test your tapwater to give a baseline reading; the UK allows up to 50ppm in tapwater. This test is the most inaccurate of the lot as it's difficult to make them for use in the home. Don't worry if the readings don't seem consistent, just use them as a guideline to see if your nitrate is increasing once the nitrite level starts to fall.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2013, 03:19:48 PM »
I was using day light and it's still tricky to tell :( I guess you get used to it eventually! What should I be testing my tapwater for to get start? Ph and nitrate?

My ammonia test is still confusing me... I tested my tank water with the added ammonia and it seems like it's only up to 2ppm... I'm still not even sure of that though, the colours are a little tricky to differentiate between

The picture's even more unhelpful than the real thing I realise ha! I guess whatever the reading is I need to add more ammonia still as it doesn't look to be up to 5ppm yet... though my kit colours only go from 4ppm to 8ppm which doesn't help much!

Offline Sue

« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2013, 03:43:12 PM »
I'd test your tapwater for everything. The UK allows up to 0.5ppm ammonia, 0.1ppm nitrite and 50ppm nitrate. It is always useful to know what's in your tapwater.
As for pH, run a glass of water and test the pH straight away. Then leave the glass sitting round somewhere at room temperature for 24 hours and test again. The pH often changes on standing (mine goes up by 0.2) and it is useful to know what yours does. If it does change, you will know to use the second result for comparing your tank pH with. Sometimes the pH goes up a lot on standing and people worry that their tank pH is higher than their tap pH because they don't realise it goes up like that. Or vice versa.
If the pH is at 7.6 with the 'ordinary pH' tester, repeat with the high range pH tester. When the pH is off the top or bottom of the scale, it will show the colour for the highest or lowest pH no matter what the real level is.

Your pic does look like 0.2. I do agree, it is hard to get 5ppm when the colours are only for 4 and 8. Aim for 4ppm. That'll be enough to grow the bacteria you need for fish. Assuming you still want fish and shrimps? I would get the fish first and see if the bacteria cope with them before getting shrimps simply because shrimps are more sensitive to water conditions than fish. That way you can make sure they are perfect before getting shrimps.
As you don't know the % of the bottle of ammonia, just keep adding a bit at a time till the reading is 4ppm. Wait till each addition has mixed in before testing. Make a note of exactly how much you add so you'll know for topping up once the reading has dropped to zero.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2013, 04:03:18 PM »
Ahh oki I'll do that all now then, gives me a chance to practice with the tests too I guess! I ended up buying the little pre-filter for my tank in the end after reading around on the internet... seemed a lot of people's shrimps were being sucked up by it! I also bought a replacement pack of extra noodles and filters to put in instead of the carbon, I think the noodles are a better size though so I guess I can keep the sponge until mine needs replacing eventually!

Yeah I'm still hoping to get some fish and shrimps =) Yeah I think that sounds like a good idea to me - definitely don't want any dead shrimps!

Unfortunately my siphon still hasn't arrived yet which is annoying - I need to do some rearranging in my tank! I still need to get my bogwood with java fern and moss balls, though I'm not sure when's best to add those. In good news my water is really clear so I must have got rid of all the tanins from the small pieces of bogwood and cleaned the gravel well enough! Really stupidly though I was testing out my new algae magnet to move all of the bubbles under my glass out into the little space in the edge, and managed to get the whole thing tangled inside the tank on the plants and bogwood with the retrieval string... but my tank is too full for me to sort out! I'm not sure how you're supposed to not get it tangled really!

Ahh I'm glad I can just dose to 4ppm that should be a lot easier =) I'll add some more ammonia now and start testing. Think I'll make a new thread for all the readings etc too! 

Offline Sue

« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2013, 04:18:11 PM »
Hold the string taught with one hand while moving the magnet with the other. That should stop it tangling.
I've found the string on the algae magnets rots pretty quickly so I've given up and use them without. The only downside is that if you aren't careful about going round corners, the inside part falls off and you have to retrieve it. This isn't a problem unless you manage to get a piece of gravel caught when it'll scratch the glass.

I have sand in all my tanks, and I didn't check the inside part well enough when it fell off - and as I now know to my cost, trapped sand scratches quite efficiently.........

If you find you are getting bubbles under the top glass, raise the back of the stand ever so slightly so the bubbles float uphill towards the back. Then you'll only have to scrape them from the back edges towards the hole.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »
Ooh thank you Sue! You have tips for everything! Yeah I think I might just ditch the string at some point if I don't have a more successful attempt next time!

I just tested my Ph with the normal Ph range and it read at 7.6 I think, so I tested again with the high Ph but I can't tell if it's 7.4 or 8 as they're quite similar colours! It's definitely not 7.8 though as it's more of a browny colour

Offline Sue

« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2013, 04:41:22 PM »
I'd call that 7.5 or 6. As far as fish go, the odd 0.1 won't be important. It's if you find the tankwater changing dramatically from that (or rather, the stood water's pH) that's when you need to find out what's going on.

The good news is that the filter bacteria like an alkaline pH and grow faster  ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2013, 05:06:01 PM »
Ooh that is good to know! Hopefully that means it won't take tooo long then! I just tested my tank's ammonia again and it's looking good - at least 4ppm  ;D

Nitrite is 0ppm as expected. My ammonia tap water reading is 0ppm from what I can tell... now the nitrate one has got me confused! 5ppm, 10ppm and 20ppm all look very similar...  it looks like one of those, possibly a lower value but I'm a little confused. It's gone dark now which doesn't help so maybe I should re-test in the morning!

Offline Sue

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2013, 05:10:09 PM »
Don't worry too much about nitrate. It does look quite low which is good. You did give bottle 2 a good shaking ? ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2013, 05:14:36 PM »
Ha yeah felt like my arm was going to drop off following the instructions! Ahh that's good then, at least it isn't too high! I look like I'm setting up a chemistry experiment with all my bottles, test tubes and ammonia ha. Now just got to wait for something to happen!

Offline Sue

« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2013, 07:14:43 PM »
I've noticed your other thread  :) It'll be good to have a cycling log for other newcomers to see one in action rather than just read the theory.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2013, 07:35:07 PM »
That's what I thought too :-) Hopefully my tank won't take forever to cycle and put people off ha!

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Hi Jesnon,
Thumbs up all the way for your determination to do things right from the very beginning – this is the way EVERYBODY should go. One small thought: the plants you have in the picture of your tank seem to be some sort of larger Echinodorus judging from their looks. If I am right, these will grow FAR too big for your tank in no time...  You can leave them in for the time being, I guess... I am guessing  that you used just plain gravel – the reason I am thinking about it is that Echinodorus species (large ones as you have) don’t only grow large in a tank but also have very large root system: pulling out an oversized plant is easier if you don’t have any “fertile” layer underneath the gravel – otherwise it is a real pain!
Echinodorus that you can use successfully in a 23 litres tank is Echinodorus Tenellus,  Vesuvius or Quadricostatus...

Offline jesnon

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2013, 09:47:17 PM »
Ha I'm not the most patient person in the world, but when it comes down to pets and animals I absolutely love them so I'd never want to risk any problems that could be avoided earlier on!

Thanks for your concern Natalia - but the plants are actually fake plastic ones! I'm really glad they don't look it though! Ha :-) Even the fake ones actually turned out to be a little big than they'd ideally be as the leaves go a little bit too high, but I was desperate to get some fake plants to make the tank a little more interesting to look at whilst it's fishless and they were the nicest ones I'd seen!

In terms of actual plants - I'm planning to eventually get a largeish (for the tank size) bit of bogwood with java fern and a moss ball as discussed earlier... thinking about the tank layout etc how would you suggest I set these up? I know it's a bit vague! I stuck all the plastic plants at the back just because of how large they were so they weren't completely blocking the whole tank, but I'm open to moving them! The only problem I found was that because they have quite large bases / weights the gravel needs to be quite high to cover them up else it's a little ugly. That's another issue I had with the gravel.... I graduated it as I'd seen that on most guides to setting up an aquarium, but since the edge has '360' views the gravel looks a little silly now I think about it looking from the sides. I think I'll flatten it out, but it would need to be thicker wherever the fake plants are to cover the base. Hmm... I wish I'd moved things around a bit before I put the water in, but I didn't really notice until now! I only have some basic gravel and nothing else... would that be OK for those kinds of plants and is there anything I need to be aware of to look after them?

Offline jesnon

« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2013, 03:12:55 PM »
Silly question number 500 coming up...!

So I did my second ever water change since adding my fish today, around 25% (maybe a bit more, it's hard to tell). I didn't get very far with the siphon before I'd done enough of a water change and had to stop. My endlers seem fascinated with the siphon and constantly swim up to it whilst I'm trying to clean the tank for them, silly things!

However one thing I've noticed, when I pull the siphon out of the water it spits back the last part in the tube back into the tank - along with some of the dirt that I've just sucked up. How can I avoid it doing that? And is there a way to put my fish off the siphon!? Hopefully next time I'll cover more of the gravel ha!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What fish to get?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post November 11, 2013, 02:52:18 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 10:28:05 AM
by polkadotpuffer
3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2013, 01:06:33 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 09:32:57 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 08:28:33 PM
by D1976p
4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2019, 04:54:57 PM
by fcmf
37 Replies
Last post April 10, 2020, 09:28:52 PM
by barneyadi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: