What Do I Put In First?

Author Topic: What do I put in first?  (Read 2484 times) 5 replies

Offline Thor God Of Thunder

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
What do I put in first?
« on: May 19, 2015, 08:50:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi, just wandering what fish do I put into my tank once its cycled.

Fiveband Barb
Otocinclus
variation of cory's
Harlequim Rasbora
Zebra Loach
Penguin Fish

and how many, I have a 100x40x50 200 litre.

thank you.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: What do I put in first?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 09:03:32 PM »
Hi Thor  :wave:

If you do a fishless cycle, you can get everything but the otos - assuming you can find a shop that will sell you that many fish in one go. Or go to a few shops. However, it may be worth waiting a few weeks before getting cories as some species can be a bit delicate.
Otos need to wait until the tank has grown a fair amount of algae or they are very likely to die. And when you do buy them, if possible wait until they've been in the shop a couple of weeks (so the weak ones will already have died) and choose the ones with fat bellies are they are eating well.

As for numbers, if you have an external filter you could easily accommodate shoals of 10 each of the barbs, tetras, cories and loaches, with half a dozen loaches and eventually half a dozen otos. The community creator on here puts that at just 62% stocked meaning you could have even bigger shoals or perhaps a single/pair/trio of centrepiece fish.
If you have an internal, then stick to shoals of 6 for each species, which would give you 78% stocked when you finally get the otos.

If you intend doing a fish-in cycle, then I would suggest the barbs or harlequins from your list to start with. But doing a fishless cycle would be a lot easier and allow you to fully stock your tank a lot faster.

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 09:12:19 PM »
I'm using an external canister, thanks for the info think ill go with the barbs then. Btw the cory's someone on youtube said that you can have a variety of corys but they will still shoal together is this true? Was aiming to get like 2-3 of green and yellow lasers with 2-3 sterbai, panda and bronze (yeah I really like em lol)

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 09:17:47 PM »
Are you planning a fish-in cycle? Because if you are planning a fishless cycle (much easier, no daily water changes!) you can get all but the corries and otos at once as soon as the cycle is complete.

Cories do really need to be in a shoal of the same species. They will shoal with different species if forced to by lack of sufficient numbers of their own species but they do much better with all the same. In nature they live in groups of 100s or 1000s of the same species, this is the way they have evolved and they behave much more naturally if we mimic nature as best we can.

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 09:20:50 PM »
i plan on doing fishless, don't like the possibility of making the fish unwell. Thanks for the info on the corys think ill get 6 green laser and 6 sterbai then.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 08:29:31 AM »
Half a dozen of each is fine. And the tank has a 100cm base so should be big enough for 12 cories.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: