Author Topic: Water problem since last night!!  (Read 5788 times) 12 replies

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
Water problem since last night!!
« on: November 24, 2012, 04:17:30 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,
I have  a problem with my water.

Last night I fed the fish with a product sample I got with my fish food. It was Tetra bloodworm gel.

When I squeezed it into the water it was like pink toothpaste and settled on top of a silk plant.

The fish did start to eat it,and it broke up into a very,very fine cloud,  they left a lot and I scooped up as much of the paste into a net as I could, before it dispersed into the water as well,but I obviously did not get it all.

Within a short space of time the water became cloudy and is still slightly cloudy some 22hrs later.

I would have thought it would have filtered out by now but it is has not got any noticeable particulates. As I type this the water has become fairly clear but not completely.

Ammonia is at 0ppm and Nitrite is 0ppm with Nitrate at 20 and I had done a 15% water change yesterday morning.

I have learned one thing though!! And that is I will not be using any of their Gel products in the future.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Water problem since last night!!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 04:27:06 PM »
I've used these gel foods occassionally. The first time it just sat in the water like you describe; after that I squeezed it into a tub of tank water, mixed it up and sucked the food out with a dropper. I do the same with frozen live food (if that's not a contradiction in terms).

The fish should be OK so long as your ammonia & nitrite are zero. But when in doubt, do a water change.

On another tack, an assortment of plastic tubs are useful for fishkeeping. Old margarine tubs, ice cream tubs etc are nice biggish ones with lids. For small ones, I find the tubs that individual cheesecakes come are very useful - that's what I use for defrosting fish food. Before you throw anything away (or recycle it) think 'could this be useful for my fish?'.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 04:38:18 PM »
Hi Sue,
Thanks for that. I will stick to flake and Prima slow sinking mini granules at alternate feeds and occasionally, some frozen or fresh live food for a change.

I will check my water at least once a day for a while and  I am doing twice weekly 15% water changes at the moment (I am due one on Monday). If the readings change I will do one straight away.

As for the tubs that is not a problem. My wife is a school cook so plenty of empty tubs when required. ;D

As I am typing this my tank has gone crystal clear....23hrs to clear.

As an aside.....the Lemon Tetra are still doing their thing in the corner although when I added the platy yesterday they initially moved about a lot more. I will not worry too much for a week or too. :D

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline DARRELL

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 10:54:28 PM »
ooooh i've never heard of bloodworm gel.....although my fish love frozen bloodworm and the occasional bag of live ones.

Its possible that ,like me, your tetras have never seen it either and will take a few batches to realise that it is food which my explain why quite a lot was left over.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »
I've used them once or twice. They come in a little flat sachet about an inch and a half long and half an inch wide. You cut the corner off and squeeze the contents out. It has the texture of toothpaste.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 05:48:57 PM »
This is very strange, and even a little annoying. I did a 20% water change yesterday.

It helped for a short time. Now what happens is that the water is crystal clear for 5 or 10 minutes then the water goes hazy for roughly the same amount of time??

I have tested my water and is as follows; Ammonia 0pp, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 40ppm and ph is 8ppm. As I type this the water is crystal clear but I know that in several minutes it will start all over again.

I intend to do another water change tomorrow, although was intending to do one Friday, and see what happens but I really,really would like to know what is going on. ???

I should add that it is only a slight haze and the wife thinks it looks ok and am worrying about nothing. :P

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 07:08:32 PM »
A slight haze isn't anything to worry about, just get frustrated about  ;D

How is the white pad in the filter? Generally speaking, filter floss/wool can be used to clear fine patricles, and that's what the white pad is. Is it getting blocked, or shrinking away at the sides letting water bypass it?
Most filters have the white pad last just for polishing the water. Juwel is unique in that it has it at the beginning of the water flow to catch big bits of debris to keep them off the sponges. You could try getting a roll of filter wool and putting a thicker layer on top of the media, see if that would help. It's also cheaper than buying new Juwel pads.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 05:09:26 AM »
Hi Sue,
yes the white poly filter seems ok! I have changed it twice this week as it was getting quite grotty after just a couple of days. I can understand this as it is a newly stocked tank and I did put  new plants in on Sunday.

I have plenty of poly filters (52) that I purchased from fleabay. I might double them up would that be ok??

I was going to do another water change today as my Nitrate has gone up from 20ppm to 40ppm + in a couple of days, but do not think I should, maybe 15% - 20% twice a week is enough and I did a water change on Monday.

It may be that doing a water change twice a week is keeping particulates floating around in the water?

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 09:00:13 AM »
I know the nitrate tester isn't all that accurate (it's difficult to make an accurate one for home use) but that does sound quite a big increase for such a short time.
Let me check: you have 10 lemon tetras, 6 silver tipped tetras and 6 platies in a 180 litre tank? Even using the 1 inch per US gallon rule you are still understocked. Your nitrate shouldn't be going up that fast.
The main causes of high nitrate are not enough/big enough water changes, but you are changing water; having too many fish, but you haven't; overfeeding, as uneaten fish food will dcompose to make ammonia which will be converted to nitrate by the filter; and using a fertiliser that has alot of nitrate in it.

Since causes 1 and 2 don't apply to you, that leaves 3 and 4 - overfeeding and fertiliser.

Since I'm useless with plants, I don't know much about plant fertilisers or plant substrates. Do you use any, and what to the list of contents say? Anything about nitrate?

Feeding - how much do you feed and how often? Food manufacturers usually tell you to overfeed - the faster you use the tub, the more often you'll buy it. And did you manage to find all that blood worm gel, there's not a chunk of it hiding somewhere decomposing?
It is very easy to overfeed a tank. Fish always behave as though they are starving. We have a mechanism to tell us when we've eaten enough. Fish don't. They'll eat and eat until they burst. When they see a human, they expect to be fed even if they've just been fed and act as though they are starving.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 09:37:17 AM »
Hi Sue,
I do not use fertilizer. But I think I must have mis-read the result (that horrible eco-friendly lighting)

I checked this morning in daylight :P and it is not 40ppm and not 20ppm I would say somewhere between but closer to 20ppm.

The food seems to go in quite a short time and yes they always appear as if they are starving ::)

Now whenever I go to the tank to do testing, glass cleaning etc they always gather as if to say, are you going to feed us then?  ;D

By the way the water is now sparkling. ;D

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 02:31:26 PM »
Hi,
Just thinking really but............If I purchased a different impeller for the Juwel (they are interchangeable)  for a 1,000 L/ph instead of my 600L/ph would that increase the speed of the interchange of the particulates through the filter or is it completely just down to the filter media??

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 04:11:05 PM »
The theory is that the flow of water through the filter should be five times the tank volume per hour. 180 x 5 = 900, so you should hava a turnover of 900 litres per hour.
But your tank won't have 180 litres of water after you've allowed for the substrate, decor etc. And your pump won't have a turnover of 600 litres per hour as the majority of manufacturers quote flow rates without any media in the filter, which slows the water flow down (Eheim is the only manufacturer I know of that quotes flow rates with media inside the filter). If these two factors cancel each other out, you are getting a turnover of 3 times tank vol per hour.

But I read somewhere that Juwel believes that if the water flow is slower it means the water is in contact with the bacteria that little bit longer allowing for a more thorough removal of ammonia and nitrite. However, I've never heard of people that have 10 times tank vol per hour having any problems, and I have heard a lot of criticism of Juwel filters.

I would seriously think about changing the pump. Looking at Juwel's website, it seems like the rio 125, 180 and 240 all have the same pump, and the 300 and 400 have the same pump. The 240 would be seriously underpowered with the same pump as a 125!
I know it says in the manual that you can change impeller to get a higher flow rate but I think that's a misprint. On retailers' websites they say that a given impeller is for a pump of a certain size, not that you can fit a given impeller in any pump.
Or did you mean changing the pump? ;D

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »
Well, either really.

I just think that the flow rate needs increasing. It is not worrying me too much. I am just trying to understand how the water can be hazy (even slightly) for 5mins or so and then absolutely crystal clear for 5 or 10mins and then backwards and forwards!!!???

Maybe it is just because everything is new??

My ammonia,nitrites etc are all fine.

I don't want to put an external filter on just yet...apart from the expense, I would have to work out  quality,price etc and then cycle with used media or run it alongside for a while and then the problem of getting the Juwel box off the glass etc,etc.

Been thinking about this overnight!! Do not really want to mess about trying to "unstick" the Juwel box.

I do not want to waste money either....so would an upgrade to a 1000 Lph  Juwel pump REALLY make much difference? If not I would have to have a rethink about an external. :-\

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Water problem since last night!!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
by ColR1948
3 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 08:35:30 PM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 08:47:20 PM
by Sue
15 Replies
Last post February 02, 2014, 06:41:44 PM
by Naomi12345
8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 08:27:25 PM
by sunshine
26 Replies
Last post March 11, 2016, 09:25:19 AM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post December 12, 2017, 10:28:38 PM
by Cod_only_knows

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: