Author Topic: water hardness  (Read 3221 times) 2 replies

Offline cavorite

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
water hardness
« on: July 22, 2014, 04:07:25 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Goodday People

I have a 35 litre tropical fish tank and  have been changing 1 third of tank,s capacity about every 3 to 4 weeks and occationally do a gravel clean. The system as a overhead filter system.
My question is what should the water hardness be.?
At the moment it is 100 parts per million (5.6 dH).
The only fish in there at the moment are 4 neon tetra,s and 1 very lively zebra.
Would I be right to assume that keeping more than 10 small fish in the tank would detrimental to thier health.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: water hardness
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 12:02:19 PM »
The hardness of the tank water should be whatever comes out of your taps. Yours is soft, which is perfect for neons. It can be made harder by the additions of special salts but I wouldn't do that with the fish you have. Maybe if you wanted hard water fish, but not neons.

I see you are doing water changes only every 3 to 4 weeks. This could be a problem. You have soft water (GH of 100ppm) so your carbonate hardness (KH) is likely to be low as well. Rather than go out and buy a tester for KH, ask a shop to test a sample of tap water for KH (assuming they do that in Australia  ;) ) KH buffers the water against drops in pH and it gets used up. If it is low from the tap and you do water changes every 3/4 weeks, there is a good chance you will suffer a pH crash, which is not good for fish.
Besides which, most people do weekly 25%+ water changes and gravel cleans - and this will prevent pH crashes. I have low KH (54ppm, 3 german degrees) and I've suffered pH crashes when I didn't do enough water changes.

As for stocking, it is impossible to say any tank will hold x number of fish. You have to go by the size of the fish and the behaviour of the fish. Neons should be fine in 35 litres as 10 US galls is the recommended minimum size. But a few more would be a good idea as they like to be in shoals of 6+.
The zerbra - if that's a zebra danio, it also needs to be in a shoal and a bigger tank. They may be small fish but they are very fast swimmers, being able to cross a 120cm tank in around 1 second. This is what I meant by taking behaviour into consideration.
Half a dozen neons put you at half stocked, so you do have room for a few more fish. I am well aware that there are fewer fish available in Australia compared to the UK so you might no be able to source my suggestions.
A pair of peacock gobies/gudgeons (they go under both names); or a pair of scarlet badis; or shrimps.

But.....
I see from your post in the introduce yourself thread that you've only just got the tank. Did you do a fishless cycle? If you didn't, don't get any more fish until the tank has cycled.

One last comment, you'll find that fishkeeping has changed a lot from when your father had fish. Listen to him, but check to see if his methods are out of date. For example, doing few water changes was the norm a few decades ago but we now know that lots of water changes are better for the fish.

Offline cavorite

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: water hardness
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 12:33:44 PM »
Sue

Thank you very much for your input, much appreciated.
Well when I said I've only just had the tank set up I mean't  getting on for 10 months (which is short at my time of life). ;D
Actually to day (after looking at your site) I did a half tank water change, (cleaning the gravel at the same time), which I had'nt done since inception, cleaned away the algie, overhead filter etc in the syphoned water, filled the bucket with cold tap water, with conditioner, let stand with the heater going, (you wouldn't believe it but it has been cold over the past few days) :(
When warmer poured into tank, realised I had not put in the anti chlorine solution , so the second bucket of cold water I compensated, see how they go now, they seem happy except for the plattie(maybe old age).
Any way fish are looking fine, except for the plattie. In these past 10 month's I've lost 4 neons, 1 zebra, and 2 don't knows (came with the zebra's) and I think I have been blessed.

I will go shopping next week for some plastic plants, have trouble maintaining real ones'
I wholeheartedly agree with your suggestion of shoals of zebra's or neons, they looks fantastic.

Please excuse my grammar, now going to try spell checker. (there is a lot of options on computers nowadays.)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "water hardness"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 01:46:23 PM
by ColinB
10 Replies
Last post August 16, 2014, 05:59:11 PM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2015, 03:38:25 PM
by Extreme_One
2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 11:45:51 AM
by Paddy60
6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2018, 06:30:26 PM
by Lynne W
26 Replies
Last post April 25, 2020, 10:01:19 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post September 19, 2020, 09:17:35 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: