Author Topic: Water Conditioner Advice  (Read 3751 times) 9 replies

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Water Conditioner Advice
« on: March 22, 2018, 08:01:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hiya,  :wave:

I've been using Fluval Water Conditioner which I got with the tank, I've been reading about the slime protector it contains and that it might not be good long term for the fish. I assume my water contains Chloramine opposed to Chlorine and can find a water conditioner that'll work but doesn't contain the slime protector? Anyone got any suggestions if there a combo approach I should use or would sticking with the Fluval be OK?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Water Conditioner Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »
This does seem to be a problem. I have yet to find a dechlorinator which removes chlorine, binds metals, 'detoxifies' the ammonia from chloramine, and does not contain a 'slime coat promoter'. The ones that don't contain something for the slime coat don't detoxify ammonia.
What we need is something that just detoxifies ammonia. Something that is only temporary, but by the time the effect wears off the filter bacteria have eaten all the chloramine ammonia, so not zeolite which permanently removes ammonia. But most brands of ammonia detoxifier also seem to remove chlorine so using one together with something like API Tap Water Conditioner (removes chlorine, binds metals only) would end up overdosing the chlorine remover.

If anyone knows of a product that just detoxifies ammonia and does nothing else, please let us know!

Those products which detoxify ammonia convert it to another form, but the effect wears off in 24 to 36 hours. This is fine where the only source of ammonia is chloramine in tap water because the bacteria in the tank will have 'eaten' this detoxified ammonia before it has chance to revert back to ammonia.
(Products that remove ammonia are not the same thing, and are not found in dechlorinators - they remove all the ammonia, and there is none left to feed the bacteria. Then they get full and stop absorbing ammonia and there are no bacteria to 'eat' the ammonia as they've all starved. Ammonia remover must be replaced before it becomes full - for ever)

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 08:54:39 PM »
Thanks Sue, I'll stick with what I've been using for now then, and check with the water co that the water is definitely not just Chlorine in it. 

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 09:13:54 PM »
Most of them don't remove ammonia, they 'detoxify' it, which simply means they convert it all to NH4-, the ammonia ion, which is how ammonia occurs in acid water.

I've always used Haloex. It works out at approximately the same price as Prime (about 100 times cheaper than the rest, which are very very diluted).

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 07:15:17 PM »
@Hampalong Can you tell us what Haloex contains? For example, I assume it removes chlorine, but does it also bind metals? Detoxify ammonia? And does contain anything to "promote the slime coat"?

All I can find is that it is made by Waterlife, but I can't find out what's in it.

The dechlorinator I use is very concentrated, removes chlorine and binds metals but does not detoxify ammonia and does not contain anything the "stimulate the slime coat".

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 11:03:55 PM »
Sue, I have no idea what Haloex contains, but it removes chlorine and (just recently) chloramine, binds heavy metals, detoxifies ammonia, and as far as I'm aware doesn't contain anything that increases mucus production (by irritating the skin, btw).

:)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 07:31:48 AM »
I found this interesting thread from a few years ago https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/new-fishkeepers/changing-water-treatments/, so, unless the product has changed, it looks as though it contains aloe vera. A quick google search also brought this up https://www.facebook.com/notes/aquarium-and-terrarium-connection/water-conditioners-to-remove-chlorine-chloramine-heavy-metals-etc/1783448348610460 . However, these may be out-of-date and none of these are the original sources - ie info directly from the manufacturer - so I'd urge a huge word of caution.

A quick reading around the other day brought me to the conclusion that it whatever it is that detoxifies the ammonia in turn requires the slime coat to be protected/promoted, and therefore that's why it's added, and in turn why it's impossible to get a product that detoxifies ammonia and doesn't contain anything to increase mucus production. Is my understanding correct?

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 02:28:31 PM »
I don't get it. Why would converting ammonia to ammonium be impossible without providing the fish with extra slime? And why would they even need extra slime?

Also I don't get why fish would ever need extra slime (unless it was physically rubbed off). It's not like they lose slime in transit... Aloe vera is a plant from semi-desert regions which never naturally comes into contact with fish. I don't believe a fish ever needs the compound used from the plant, which is after all sap, and an irritant. I won't knowingly subject fish to it, and I'm pretty sure it's just a gimmick to increase sales. A very clever one at that. I was keeping fish just as successfully before Aloe vera. There was not a need for it...

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 05:00:23 PM »
I wondered whether promoting slime coat is a clever way of marketing an unavoidable side effect? I would have thought increased slime coats were as a result of something that irritated the fishes' skin. So perhaps the chemicals used to de-chlorinate, irritate the fishes' skin. So the manufacturers add aloe Vera because people associate it with beneficial effects.

I should add that everything I have just said is entirely conjecture.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 06:23:32 PM »
Aloe vera also does undesirable things like adding organic waste to the tank.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Water Conditioner Advice"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post February 17, 2017, 12:53:44 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2017, 04:29:27 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post March 18, 2018, 10:48:40 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2018, 02:45:46 PM
by Matt
13 Replies
Last post December 11, 2019, 07:36:20 PM
by fcmf
86 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 03:42:17 AM
by Hampalong
4 Replies
Last post July 12, 2022, 02:12:55 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: