Variety The Spice Of Life?

Author Topic: Variety the spice of life?  (Read 5039 times) 14 replies

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
Variety the spice of life?
« on: September 10, 2014, 06:35:50 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Well it's early days in my Tropical fishtank (day 3 or fishless cycle) but obviously my mind is thinking ahead to stocking it, and i thought i'd ask for advice and suggestions. I have 90 ltr tank (nearer 85 with gravel and decor etc) it measures 62cm L x 38cm W x 56cm H good heater, rather vigorous trickle pump/filter and quite hard water at 7.6ppm. I have many species of fish i like and wanted to know if you can suggest some good combinations and how many of each maybe. Is it better to have a lot of maybe two species, or can i have smaller ammounts of more species (i'm getting greedy i know) i am currently (it changes daily) liking Platys, Male Guppies, Glowlight Tetras, Harlequin Raspboras, Black Widow Tetras, and Pygmy Corys. I would like a nice shoel of small fish, only seen neon tetras? i considered M/F pair of Dwarf Gouramis but not sure they add enough to the mix, and would love a pair of larger black and white fish of some sort instead. I know space, and conditions matter and am not intending to have all the above, but any suggestions on the mix and any No no's. Look forward (or maybe dissapointed) to your ideas.

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Variety the spice of life?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 08:16:06 AM »
Personally, I'd keep away from platies and guppies. They're weak 'cos of all the in-breeding to get the colours, and they like hard water. Talking of which... you say you have hard water at 7.6ppm? D'you mean a pH of 7.6, 'cos 7.6ppm is very soft water.

As for stocking - you'll get a different opinion from everybody here, but mine would be to get larger shoals of fewer species. They act far more 'naturally' under these conditions. If I was starting with your tank I'd get cory cats for the bottom(~6), barbs for the lower half (~9)and tetras/ rasboras for the upper half (~9). Useing the community creator to get the correct number.... and this might give space for a pair of Honey Gourami as well.

How's that sound?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 09:03:21 AM »
Oooh thank you, see learning all the time, i will read up on my Ph levels as yes PH straight from tap was 7.6ppm. Mmm shame about the platys, i love the color selection especially the blue, but i gather they poop a lot too so more work managing tank?  Sounds a good selection thanks : )

Offline Resa

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:19:13 AM »
Morning Aquamaid,

Exciting times....new tank and fishy choosing ;)
I would agree with Colin about the guppies, they do seem to just die suddenly for no apparent reason....I had some but haven't now for precisely that reason. I have heard the same for platys too, but speaking from my own experience, I bought 3 of the blue marbled ones when I first set my tank up, (about 18 or more months ago) and have had no real problems, (other than loads of babies, but that's another issue) and I only recently lost my last original one. As you say, the blue ones are very pretty.
I think you should definitely consider cories...no tank should be without them, I think ;) Again though, I would say , check which ones to go for as some need a more mature tank not a newly cycled one, but that isn't a problem in itself, as you just have to wait around about 6 months, and then....yay! joy oh joy! you can go fishy shopping again ;D They are also better in shoals of 6, they will act completely differently and you would really see their character....and they have plenty of that! Also, they prefer to be in shoals of each kind rather than 2 of this cory, 2 of that etc...did that make sense? ???
I would avoid the dwarf gouramis (Colisa Lalia) as they too are prone to an incurable disease, which happens from nowhere, and will kill the fish...slowly. Not nice, been there...done that too :(
However, I think I'm right in saying that you wouldn't run this risk with Honey Gouramis, but Sue will tell you for sure.

Meanwhile though, have loads of fun choosing and go and see lots of fishies in the shops, and make sure that you're happy with the shop you will be using. If their stock look healthy etc. Bear in mind that often the fish in the shops don't always show their colours very well as they may be stressed or young, but will bloom once they're settled in a lovely new home.
Happy fishing!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 11:28:34 AM »
Thank you, good to get more opinions : ) Iv'e just checked on my Anglian water site and they confirm my postcode water as Hard (i did API liquid PH test and got 7.6), all i know is we do have a bit of kettle and tap furr up lol. Mmm your right, plenty of time to check out the fish though and the corys are deffo on my list : )

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 12:41:24 PM »
With hard water you just need to avoid fish that really must have it soft. Researching a species that catches your eye will flag up any problems in this area.
Platies and guppies do prefer hard water. Have you looked at endlers, they are slightly smaller than guppies, but hardier and brightly coloured, they just don't have the long tails. All the ones in the shops are actually guppy-endler hybrids. You can keep all males quite easily. They do chase each other but don't make contact.
Glowlights can go quite hard, Seriously fish does make the comment though that they are brighter coloured at lower pH.
Harlequins and pygmy cories should be OK.
Black widows prefer it a bit softer and lower pH. And can be fin nippers - could bite gouramis feelers.

A small shoaling fish that likes hard water is this fish. I see it has changed it's latin name yet again  >:( Common names include emerald rasbora, the shop could call it Microrasbora erythromicron, or Danio erythromicron (that was it's name last time I looked) though they are unlikely to use the newest name of Celestichthys erythromicron.

Honey gouramis are a better choice than dwarfs. This species is fine as a pair. I've had more trouble with females fighting in trios than the male harassing the female in a pair. The wild colour is hard to find. This is male with golden tan body and yellow top fin, female pale silvery grey. The more common colours are yellow and red (often called red robin). Yellows are easier to sex than reds. If you decide on them I'll tell you how  :))

I can't think of a specimen fish in black and white that would fit in a 90 litre tank though  :-\
If you wanted black and white with a bit of red for shoaling fish, look at golden pencilfish here and here

There are two schools of thought about numbers of species. You do have to bear in mind that you need at least 6 of any shoaling species, with more being better. There is the group that reckons several species with the minimum numbers of each looks nice and the other group prefers large shoals of just a couple of species.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 01:55:25 PM »
Thanks again for suggestions Sue, like the look of the Pencil fish, will look into it, mmm still oh so tempted by those beautiful Platys though  ::)

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 01:03:26 AM »
If you really like the platties (enough to sacrifice getting most other fish) you could always set your tank up specifically for them. If your water is naturally too soft, you can try adding crushed coral into your filter, or limestone as a decoration which will increase the hardness of your water. If you do this just make sure you keep testing the water to make sure it remains within acceptable ranges :)

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 07:32:27 AM »
Thank you, i'm trying to be sensible but child in sweetshop comes to mind. My tap and 24hr standing water ph test deffo said 7.6 and High range was 7.4 on my local water site they state my area is Hard water and as i say my taps and kettle do furr up a bit so untill i do further tests i will assume i'm neutral to hard. I am coming round to the idea of lots of Rasboras, i adore the Harlequin and on googling it appears there may be yellowish ones available too, oooh and the Celestial Pearl Danio (galaxy Rasbora) looks beautiful but a bit on the small side, so it may end up as a Rasbora and Cory tank. I really don't want to overstock the tank (the 1cm per ltr seems rather generous) and it seems to be shrinking by the day (much like my last TV) lol and though it is 90lt, with fittings and furnishings more like 83 ltrs now. If i were buying again i would probably go for longer tank as i see the benefits now, but mine is 63cm long 38 deep and quite high at 56 cm just hope it is wide enough for five small Cory and a good shoel of Rasboras say 10?

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 07:48:11 AM »
Have you used the community creator on here? That's how I got some ideas for fish, then checked them out with people on here. Note though it doesn't seem to take into account water parameter requirements so you have to do that bit yourself, from seriously fish / the fish profiles. And by checking on here.
I have CPDs and they are lovely, but I've already lost 3 and only had them a couple of months. Not sure if that's them or the tank (it's water).
My pH is about the same as yours, I have 10 ember tetra and 5CPD and am planning on more fish, maybe a shoal of Pygmy Cory. But my tank is only 55l. You have quite a bit more choice with yours.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 07:57:18 AM »
Thank you, good to see what plants you have in too, oooh so much to consider, but i guess that keeps it interesting,  ;D

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 02:31:30 PM »
Ummm don't do what I did and mistake water hardness for Ph.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 08:13:23 PM »
Yes that is a confusing one, my API   Ph reading is 7.6 the high rate reading is 7.4 and on my Water Company web site, it states i am in hard water area with a 16 dh.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 12:15:25 PM »
I would say your pH is 7.5. The odd point or two doesn't make much difference; you need the ball park figure (slightly alkaline) and to be able to tell if it changes.
Oh, yes, before I forget, is that the pH of tap water you have just run, a glass of tap water that has stood for 24 hours, or tank water?

Your hardness at 16 german deg is 112mg/l Ca and 280mg/l CaCO3 - just different units for the same hardness. My water company's website has a pretty coloured chart labelled in mg/l Ca which is why I needed to convert it. Hard goes from 80 to 120, so 112 (yours) is near the very hard end of hard.
This means you need to choose your fish carefully, I'm afraid. I'll now head over to your other thread  ;D

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
Hi,

I feel i should put in a good word for the poor old platys!!!!

I started off my fish keeping with platys and found them to be very hardy. I have a PH of 7.6 which my platys live in and are ok in.  I keep them with glowlights, black phantom tetras, minnows, corys and an otocinclus and they are very peacefiul and un-interested in everyone else.

I did get the occasional squabble (i only have one platy at current) but as long as you don't overcrowd them (my tank is 54litres and two platys worked well) they should be fine.

I decided on a same sex group to avoid the baby issue and you can get some really stunning ones. One of mine was a mickey mouse and he was beautiful.

Enjoy your fish hunting!!!

FC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Variety the spice of life?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 08:10:49 PM
by buranda
1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 01:00:09 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2015, 12:09:56 AM
by Leggoman
6 Replies
Last post September 30, 2015, 04:50:10 PM
by Diz1
181 Replies
Last post June 21, 2016, 12:42:29 PM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post February 24, 2017, 10:44:50 AM
by Fiona
9 Replies
Last post July 21, 2020, 03:36:36 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: