Author Topic: uv light  (Read 3566 times) 5 replies

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
uv light
« on: April 05, 2014, 08:00:44 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
good morning all.
well here is the start of me proably asking alot of questions over the next few days as i try to work everything out in the new tank.

first question is the tank has come with plenty of gravel but althow it is fairly small and fine it feels sharp and scratchy in my hands and as i already know i would like some bottom feeding fish i will change to some sand or much smoother gravel but i was wondering would it be ok to use the existing gravel to form a bottom layer then add a layer of sand over the top there saveing me haveing to buy so much sand , or would i be better of replaceing it all with sand.

2 nd question is the tank has also come with a large external uv filter light.i havent seen much written about them here and was wondering what peoples general opinion of them are.
would it be worth me to plum it all in now from the start or is it something to look at in a later date when iam more settled with everything alse and have a slight bit of knowlage of what iam doing.
 (sorry about any incorrect spelling or grammar in my posts , one of these days iam might learn proper written english ) ;)

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
Re: uv light
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:57:55 AM »
Not sure if you've already mentioned this, but are you planning to have live plants in your tank? If so, there's been quite a bit of discussion on here recently regarding having a soil base (Walstad method). I didn't set my tank up this way but in hindsight wish I had. With this approach, your existing gravel could form a buffer layer between the soil and your top-layer sand. Alternatively, I believe sand on itself isn't ideal for growing plants so using the gravel as a under-layer, particularly as it's quite fine, may help. Either way, one thing to be careful of would be gravel suction as you could easily pull up the under-layer.

Re: UV light - not sure on this. Heard they can be useful but they can potentially destroy good bacteria as well as bad and I'm not sure what effect this would have on any useful bacteria which is in the tank itself (rather than the filter). I also understand that the UV light should be operated after your mechanical filtration has taken place.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »
i am planning to have a few small plants dotted around to start with nothing to serious.
i have been thinking been thinking alot about the soil base (still feel sligthly nervous to put soil in tank ).
if i did use soil bottom layer is common garden soil ok to use i have a area to the bottom of my garden were i know chemicals have not been used for anything there.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 10:00:48 AM »
Garden soil can be used but as well as possible chemical contact, there are the various bugs & creatures to consider which would naturally live in the soil - some suggest baking the soil prior to use but I'm not sure whether this is necessary. There's a thread about using soil here: http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,819.msg7814.html#msg7814 (sorry if the link doesn't work - I'm writing this using my phone!)

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 10:31:03 AM »
I've used soil in all my tanks without problem, straight from my garden. Just check for worms or whatever so that they don't die and decay in it. There is no danger of "disease" from soil. Fish diseases pass from fish to fish, as there are no fish in the soil there is no possibility of there being any fish diseases!! Soil is mainly used if you want to grow a decent number of plants, I'm not sure if it is a good idea if you only want a few, though a few will grow and spread well if you choose the right ones. I'm biased in favour of plants, but I have to say that most people like the look of well-planted tanks when they see them. Don't put more than an inch of soil in the bottom, cover it with another inch or so of substrate. I put gravel on top of the soil, then sand on top of the gravel. I buy "J Arthur Bower's Horticultural grade lime-free silver sand" from the garden centre, far cheaper than "aquarium" sand and just as good, in fact it's probably exactly the same stuff. It's £4 for 25kg at my local garden centre.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 11:54:40 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I'll leave the substrate to others but will comment that if you put sand over gravel, the gravel will work its way to the top.

UV in filters can help if you get microscopic algae in the water turning it green and when you add fish to kill any pathogens they bring in. But they are not really recommended full time.
In theory, the UV light only shines on the water not on the filter media - have a look and make sure yours does that - so it shouldn't kill the filter bacteria. But it will kill every water borne pathogen flowing past the lamp. The  result of this is the fish never develop any immunity. Any pathogen then getting into the tank can wipe out the entire stock. The bulbs have to be changed on a regular basis and the real danger comes from not changing them when you should; you'll think the UV is 'protecting' your fish when it is actually doing nothing.
Healthy fish should not need UV all the time, and if you do get green water it is better to find out why and remove the cause rather than the effect.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "uv light "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post November 02, 2014, 12:38:52 AM
by biffster
4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2016, 01:07:22 PM
by Paddyc
0 Replies
Last post September 18, 2016, 09:01:44 AM
by michael01
0 Replies
Last post October 10, 2016, 10:46:43 AM
by michael01
6 Replies
Last post January 07, 2019, 02:45:50 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2018, 05:31:49 PM
by Matt
1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2019, 05:27:54 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: