Unsure Of Tank Is Under-aerated

Author Topic: Unsure of tank is under-aerated  (Read 2700 times) 2 replies

Offline Stur

• Tropical Fish FTW!
Unsure of tank is under-aerated
« on: October 23, 2014, 03:32:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

I've just got two fantail goldfish, Bill & Bob, from a previous owner, and have been trying to read up as much as I can on how to best look after them. I am concerned that there might not be enough oxygen in the water.

They are both 2 inches long. I have them in a 45 L (10 gallon) tank, with a filter that has an output of 600L/h. There are also 3 live plants (not sure what type) in the tank. There are also two shrimp that came with them, the previous owner didn't know what type they were. I've done some research and think they may be ghost shrimp. I replace roughly 10 liters from the tank every 4 days.

They spend their time when inactive at the water surface and it's not uncommon for them to gulp the top of the water. Is this a sign that they are not getting enough oxygen in their water? What could I do to increase the oxygen content beyond what I'm currently doing? I got them second hand with the current tank, which I know I'll have to upgrade to a bigger one in time. But I thought it would be sufficient for now for the two of them as they are still quite small?

Any suggestions?

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Unsure of tank is under-aerated
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 04:28:08 PM »
If I can paste this from a very good web-site....

A Goldfish will also require plenty of surface area in addition to sufficient amounts of water, especially if you intend to keep them in an aquarium without aeration. A large surface area will increase the amount of oxygen in the water and 30 square inches of surface area for every inch of Goldfish is considered a minimum. You can of course also install an airstone in your aquarium or purchase a mechanical filter pump that aerates the water.

....so it is probably best if you adjust your filter output so that the water's surface is churned up to help aeration.

...and welcome to the forum.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Unsure of tank is under-aerated
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 05:06:04 PM »
I would also get the water tested as gulping at the top can be a sign of ammonia and/or nitrite in the water. If you don't have your own test kit (having one is advisable) take a sample to a fish shop and ask them to test it - but get them to write down the numbers not say something like a bit high or OK as fish shop workers are known to say things are OK when they are not. The only acceptable value for ammonia and nitrite is zero.

When you got the fish did you also get the tank and filter or is it a brand new tank and filter? The reason I ask is because if the filter in particular was new, you are now doing a fishless cycle. If this is the case, can I suggest you read this which explains what you need to do.

And I hate to tell you, but you need a bigger tank and fairly quickly. Goldfish grow huge - fancy ones like yours grow anything up a foot long. The minimum tank size for fancy goldfish is 20 American gallons for the first and 10 for each extra one so you need 30 US galls for your two, that's 115 litres at the minimum.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Unsure of tank is under-aerated"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
by maz1
Our Tank

Started by pmalipha Gallery Showcase

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 04:58:24 PM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 08:38:57 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
5 Replies
Last post October 01, 2014, 06:55:44 PM
by Sekhmet
5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2015, 10:12:40 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: