Author Topic: Top Dwellers Required  (Read 8775 times) 15 replies

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
Top Dwellers Required
« on: February 19, 2015, 06:17:46 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello All,

My existing fish (otos, panda corys, embers and neons) occupy the bottom 2/3rds of the tank at best. It is a Juwel Rio 125, and is quite tall. Is there a group of smallish, steady, peaceful, suitable fish who would like the vacant top bit? I am not keen on Hatchetfish or Gouramis, and I suspect that my parameters might be too soft for live bearers?
My parameters are: pH 7.6, KH 4, GH 6, nitrates 20-40. I am currently about 65-70% stocked.

Thanks in advance,
                                                                             Skittler

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Top Dwellers Required
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 06:31:30 PM »
Killifish are surface dwellers. I was shopping for a new piece of wood this morning and the shop had two species in stock. The problem is that not all killifish are suitable for a community tank.
The two I saw this morning were Fundulopachax gardneri which Seriously Fish says are not good community fish (unfortunately, as they were stunning), and Aphyosemion striatum which would probably be OK - SF warns against vigorous tank mates. Both would be fine in your water.

Other than killifish, hatchetfish and gouramis, I don't know what else to suggest  :-\

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 06:57:25 PM »
How about glowlight danios? I had toyed with the idea of them for my own tank but it's not big enough - might be suitable for yours, though. I'm not very experienced in tropical fishkeeping, so hopefully someone else will be able to advise if my suggestion is not wise.

Out of interest, which section of the tank do your embers occupy - are they closer to the bottom or the middle?

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »
Sue has covered the ones that spring to mind. You could also consider Panchax or Pencilfish. Hatchetfish are true surface dwellers. Barely leaving the top of the tank!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 09:10:29 PM »
Hadn't thought of pencilfish! Not only do they swim near the top, they also have an interesting swimming pattern, spending time motionless in the water. Golden/beckford's pencilfish are the most common in shops, they are in the fish profiles on here (under tetras).

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »
You could have a look at Pearl Danio. I had some of these a while ago and they sort of zap around the top third of the tank.

A tip if you are browsing, have a look along the line of the tanks and you should be able to pick out the fish that prefer different areas of the tank!

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 03:45:39 AM »
how about a zebra danio?cont go wrong with them

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 03:45:23 PM »
Hello All,

Thank you everyone for your excellent advice and suggestions. Quite a number of fish there that are unknown to me. Clearly, a lot more enjoyable research to be done, both on here, and out "on the road".

fcmf: my 6 embers generally, but not always, occupy the lower third of the tank. Also, they sometimes seem to mix with the 10 neons, when they might get more towards the middle third. Perhaps it is because 6 isn't enough. I do plan to get a few more in the future, if everything else is OK .

Sue: This last few days, I haven't been able to get on "Seriously Fish". All I get is a page of geometric shapes and gobbledegook. Everywhere else is fine. Is anyone else having a similar problem, or is it me?

Best Regards Everyone, and Thanks Again,
                                                Skittler

Offline Richard W

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 03:55:20 PM »
I'm OK with Seriously Fish, no problem.
I've found that fish such as danios and White Cloud minnows tend to stay near the surface in more open tanks, but in a densely planted tank they move more widely around the tank, from top to bottom and all zones between. I don't think there are many fish which always stay near the surface, it's a dangerous place to be in the wild.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 03:57:03 PM »
Floating plants will encourage a lot of species to swim higher in the tank.

Offline Amlaikin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »
My harlequin rasbora's mainly hover 3-4 inch below the surface and although they move around the tank tend to stay in top half of the tank so could be a possibility?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 09:19:53 AM »
One thing to consider is the flow in the tank. Generally this is much faster near the surface than deeper down, as is the case in natural streams. Some fish enjoy a faster flow, others don't and will always stay in the areas where they feel most comfortable. I've found that my Zebra danios and White cloud minnows like to be up in the strongest flow, but most other species prefer it slower. Neither Neon nor Ember tetras are from fast waters and will always prefer to stay in slower water.

I did once see a video posted by someone who had Cardinal tetras and had installed an extra water pump so that there was a very strong flow even at the very bottom of the tank where the fish were being buffeted about and were struggling to maintain position, often being simply swept away. "Look at my fish playing in the flow" he said. Those fish weren't playing, they were suffering. We should always give our fish a choice of conditions and let them stay where they prefer, not force them to go where they are not comfortable.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 05:36:13 PM »
Hello Folks,
Thank you all yet again. I would have replied sooner, but Internet Explorer crashed this morning, and has only just returned.

Richard: Your point about the flow rate at the top of the tank is spot on for me. That explains everything. My filter outlet almost makes waves across the surface. Hence the tetras stay lower, and the pandas, when heading up for a gulp of air, often turn back! So, an active group like danios, could well be a solution for the empty space. They could have it all to themselves!

I still can't get access to Seriously Fish......don't think I've upset them.......
                                            Best Regards
                                                       Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 05:24:41 PM »
Hello All,

So, after doing all that lovely research, including visiting a number of LFS's to clap eyes directly on the goods, I am now the proud owner of 7 Glowlight Danios. I know 7 is a strange number, but I only asked for 6! Some of the Embers think they've got some big brothers and sisters, but can't keep up! My peaceful tank has definitely changed.....for the better I think. They do head into the top third of the tank.....and everywhere else at the moment!.

On another note, as discussed elsewhere on here, I have now accessed Seriously Fish via Google Chrome, but Internet Explorer still isn't playing ball.

Thanks again everyone for your help & advice,

Skittler

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 07:43:17 PM »
Great - thanks for the update. Always good to hear what folk eventually decide on. (7 is often considered a lucky number, so hopefully you will have a happy aquarium, providing you with plenty of interesting interactions to watch.)

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 09:25:48 PM »
Nice choice Skittler. I was torn between glowlight danios, rummynose tetra and my eventual purchase of X-ray tetra. They are all gorgeous and active fish!

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Top Dwellers Required"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
27 Replies
Last post November 16, 2014, 09:15:09 PM
by Cod_only_knows
8 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 09:31:22 PM
by shivyDevon
6 Replies
Last post April 02, 2015, 10:46:37 PM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2017, 07:34:53 PM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post August 04, 2017, 09:49:19 AM
by Redbelly
5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2017, 09:30:04 PM
by MarquisMirage
5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2020, 06:21:09 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: