Too Small For Cardinal Tetras?

Author Topic: Too small for Cardinal Tetras?  (Read 3381 times) 4 replies

Offline Jonny

Too small for Cardinal Tetras?
« on: April 19, 2013, 10:31:04 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hey everyone,

I'm new here to the forum and also new to fish-keeping personally. I was pretty stunned after filling in the community creator to see what I would be unable to have in my tank. My tank is as follows;

42cm L 24.5cm W 21cm H
21.6 Litres / 4.75 Gallons.
External filter has a waterfall.

I know it is a small tank but I was stunned that I could not keep Cardinal Tetras in there according to the community creator, nor my other planned starting fish of Leopard Danios (Had to use Zebra in the creator.)

How strict is this? Would it really not be possible to start with 5 Cardinal Tetras and 2 Leopard Daneos in my tank?

Any advice would be greatly welcomed!

Many thanks,
Jonny

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cardinal Tetra (5) - Zebra Danio (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: Too small for Cardinal Tetras?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 12:02:23 AM »
Leopard Danios and Zebra Danios are the same species.  They are just different colour variations, so you did the right thing in the CC.

Cardinals need to be in groups of at least 6, and that overstocks your tank leaving no room for your danios.

Danios need to be in groups of at least 4 , and that overstocks your tank leaving no room for your cardinals.

Also, both fish need more room than the 40 odd cm in your tank; they are active fish.

There is little that you could actually keep in a tank so small.  The only thing I could come up with through the Community Creator was Endlers.  You could keep a group of Endlers, but make sure they are all male else they will breed.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but...  The secret to this, and something to bear in mind for the future, is to research the fish you are going to keep in your tank before you buy the tank.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 12:40:19 PM »
You could also have a betta (Siamese fighting fish) in there, just the one fish.

If you do want shoaling fish and have the right pH and hardness, you could get away with a shoal of either ember tetras or celestial pearl danios (aka galaxy rasboras). Both species need softish water so endlers would be better if you have hard water.
The tetras and cpd's are quite shy so the tank would need a fair number of plants, either real or synthetic.

Danios do better in a 4 ft long tank. They are such fast swimmers that they can cover that distance in approx 1 sec (figure from people who have them in that sized tank). That's why they shouldn't be kept in small tank, their behaviour not their size.

Offline Resa

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 09:29:45 AM »
Hi Jonny,

Welcome to the forum :)
You have discovered the fun of fishkeeping!  Think about which fish you like, spend ages trying to narrow your favourites down, make your final decision.....then find out you can't have them because...tanks too small, water is too hard/soft, they can't be kept together because they will mate/fight/eat each other!  ;D
Steve raises a very good point, if possible, research the fish you would like first, then get the appropriate tank..too late for you, I know.  I had the same problem.  My tank was a Christmas pressie so I had no input on size etc, (60L) but had an idea of the fish I wanted to keep. Of course, after using the CC and getting advice from the good folks here, it became clear that I wasn't going to be able to have all the ones I wanted.
I think though, that it makes you choose more carefully and have a better understanding of your tank because you have to know your chosen fish's needs and your tank, water supply limitations.  Not much help, I know. Your other option is to do as Sue suggests and treat yourself to one of the beautiful betta fish available, you would also be doing one a huge kindness by rescuing him from the jam jar environment that he undoubtedly has found himself in.
Then, save up.....and get another tank that's a bit/lot bigger depending on your chosen fish's needs! ;D  There does appear to be a well known illness among fishkeepers.....MTS.  It stands for multiple tank syndrome....and be warned, it is extremely infectious ;D ;D

You will get any help you need here, everyone on this site is really helpful, knowledgable and friendly :)
Hope this hiccup doesn't put you off keeping fish, good luck!

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 09:18:28 PM »
Unfortunately I had similar issues when I first got my tank... unfortunately research is key! If you've not set the tank up yet there's always the possibility of swapping it at the shop?

However endlers are great little fish! I was sceptical at first when I first heard of them but when I found the amount of colour variations in the shops and seeing them all swimming around the tank I'm glad I got them!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Too small for Cardinal Tetras?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
Last post May 30, 2013, 05:12:51 PM
by notungz
10 Replies
Last post August 29, 2014, 06:31:10 PM
by Carol
18 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 07:34:47 PM
by dbaggie
2 Replies
Last post May 02, 2015, 02:23:48 PM
by Richard W
36 Replies
Last post July 22, 2020, 05:57:51 PM
by fcmf
0 Replies
Last post October 13, 2020, 03:32:22 PM
by fcmf
38 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 01:34:18 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: