Too Much Oxygen??

Author Topic: Too much Oxygen??  (Read 3095 times) 3 replies

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
Too much Oxygen??
« on: November 08, 2012, 10:45:38 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,
I am still cycling my tank and all appears to be going well...for the past 3 days the ammonia level is dropping to 0.25ppm every 24hrs and Nitrite is dropping gradually.

Now I have been doing quite a bit of reading in preparation for fish as and when the tank is cycled.

I am using a Juwel Air Diffuser which puts thousands of minute air bubbles in the water. I have just read that in water that has too much oxygen absorbed into it can cause illness/disease such as "pop eye" which now has me concerned that the diffuser may be a bad thing.

Should I stop using the diffuser or am I doing too much reading!! :-\

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Too much Oxygen??
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »
I think you might be doing too much reading  ;D

Diseases like popeye are caused by bacteria not too much oxygen. Having said that I'm sure I read somewhere about fish and bubbles, but I can't remember where.........

The pics on-line of the air diffuser show a black plastic thing which attaches to the filter outflow, a thin see-through tube which attaches to the black thing and a blue plastic thing which attaches to the other end of the thin tube. I'm assuming that this works like the venturi on my Elite Mini filter and my Eheim biopwer, and the blue thing sticks out of the water so it can draw air into the thin tube, which then comes out of the black tube as bubbles. Have I got it right?

The venturis on my Elite Mini and Biopower are adjustable; the plastic thing on the end of the thin tube which sticks out of the water can turn, reducing the amount of air that gets sucked in, and therefore fewer bubbles. Does the blue thing on yours do this? The ends of mine rotate.

I've only ever used the venturis for a day or so. The Biopower is in the tank in the lounge and my husband threatens to make me turn it off if it makes the tiniest sound when he's listening to his music (the bubbles were too noisy  :o ) and the Elite Mini is in the betta's tank so the flow is turned right down so the venturi didn't work properly.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:05:21 PM »
Hi Sue,
Yes it is a Venturi and similar to your description.

The floating air part does indeed rotate and it does not seem to make much of a difference. I have the hole nearly covered up completely. If I turn it any more it just blocks completely.

The Tank is right next to me in the sitting room and the noise does not bother me,in fact I find it rather pleasing. (I know I am odd :P)

The only thing that slightly bothers me is that there are thousands of bubbles that when the lights are on makes the tank look a bit cloudy with all of the bubbles. It is not cloudy though and when the lights are off it looks crystal clear.

Of course because of the Venturi action  the water from the pump has to exit via a smaller tube and that seems to increase the current in the tank.

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 06:09:45 PM »
The idea that you can dissolve too much oxygen into your water seems a bit dim to me.  The amount of dissolved gas is restricted by the temperature and pressure of your water.  This is why, when you first fill your tank, or do a very large water change, as the water heats up, the dissolved gasses are released and you end up with squillions of gas bubbles.

Remember, just because you read something on the internet, doesn't make it true, the same is true of your local fish shop or the Daily Mail.  And that goes for this forum as much as any other site.  I don't believe you can do too much reading, but you don't have to believe it all!

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: