Thank You All For Your Help, But Sadly More Help Needed

Author Topic: Thank you all for your help, but sadly more help needed  (Read 2658 times) 9 replies

Offline Redbelly

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Thank you all for your help, but sadly more help needed
« on: January 31, 2017, 06:13:41 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
 :wave:

Evening all,

Firstly i would like to thank everyone that has helped up to now. I now have further issues, I have gone to feed my fish this morning like every morning and noticed a couple of snails on the drift wood in my aquarium to add to this there appears to be a noticeable amount of bubbles and growth also on the drift wood, should this happen?, should i be concerned ? I just want happy healthy fish and im worried things are not going to plan. Please see picture attached. If you expand the image you will see the snail at the back of the tank (there are at least 3 more) you will also see the bubbles on the top of the tank and on the log plus the growth on the log  and the fishs waste is still laying on the bottom of the tank should the filter not help get rid of this ???

As you can probably tell im getting a wee bit stresssed and really getting concerned about my fish.....any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Thank you all for your help, but sadly more help needed
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 06:34:45 PM »
Hi @Redbelly

It is quite difficult to avoid snails as they often enter the tank as eggs on live plants. The breed rapidly if there is a lot of food available.
The fish waste will still need to by syphoned out of the tank. Although the filter helps, and contains the bacteria for the nitrogen cycle, it is good practice to remove fish pooh.
The growth and bubbles on the wood - I can't see the growth clearly, but guess it could be algae. Have you tested your water parameters?
Let's see what the more experienced keeper say, but don't panic.

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 06:43:05 PM »
To take things out of order:

Filters don't suck up fish poo, that's the fishkeeper's job. Sand makes this much easier, you just hover the siphon tube about half an inch above the sand and make small swirling motions. This lifts the poo etc off the sand and the siphon sucks it up. You will also suck up a bit of sand. Just wash it in tap water, drain it as well as you can and put the sand back in the tank. The tiny bit of chlorine in the water stuck to the sand won't be enough to do any harm.

The snail on the glass behind the wood looks like one of those variously called pest, bladder, tadpole or pond snails. They arrive in the tank on live plants, either as tiny snails or eggs. They are not a bad thing to have, lots of people reckon they are a necessary part of an eco-system. They will get out of control if you over feed the fish as they'll eat the left over food and multiply.
I have both these snails and the tiny flat spiral kind in my tanks.

The bubbles on top of the water are normal in an Edge. Gasses that come out of the water can't escape and are trapped by the top glass. The way to get rid of them is very carefully put a small wedge under the back of the stand. Just enough to tilt the tank so the bubbles move to the square of air.

The bubbles on the wood are not very clear. Could they be trapped in the translucent white mould that is common on new wood?

You said in a previous post that you'd put guppies in the tank - but the fish in the photo are not guppies. What are they, some sort of tetra (as they have an adipose fin)? If they are tetras I need to warn you that only a very few tiny species of tetra are suitable for a 23 litre tank.

And just to check - are you testing for ammonia and nitrite on a daily basis? Since the tank is new and you have fish you are doing a fish-in cycle and need to keep both of those below 0.25 by doing as many water changes as necessary.

Offline Redbelly

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 07:20:07 PM »
Hi Sue/Littlefish,

Thank you for your quick response.

Littlefish you are quite right they are glow light tetra's not guppies as I stated in my previous post, I just got confused. These fish were recommended by the fish shop after I told him which tank I had so I hope they are ok ?

I have ordered the testing kit online which is due to be delivered tomorrow so that will be the first thing I will be doing when I come home from work tomorrow. And now I havent done a water change because I thought The best thing is to let the tank settle instead of keep putting in fresh tap water ?  :-[

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 07:31:13 PM »
Water changes are your best friend when doing a fish-in cycle. Even if you used a bottled bacteria product, the ones that actually work just speed things up a bit; but most of them don't work.
This explains how to keep fish alive and healthy during a fish-in cycle.

One of the best websites for fish requirements and behaviour is Seriously Fish. This is what they say about glowlight tetras, including a minimum tank size of
24″ x 15″ x 12″ (60cm x 37.5cm x 30cm) – 70 litre tank
Unfortunately, they need a bigger tank than 23 litres.

Shops rarely give good advice. They either don't know or don't care and will say anything to make a sale. There are some good shops but they are few and far between. Always do your own research before buying any fish, preferably somewhere like Seriously Fish.

Something we haven't checked with you (or at least I can't find it) - do you have hard or soft water? This will affect the type of fish you can keep.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 07:53:52 PM »
And now I havent done a water change because I thought The best thing is to let the tank settle instead of keep putting in fresh tap water ?  :-[
Just a gentle reminder, which I'm sure you know, is that the fresh tap water should be treated with dechlorinator before being put in. Thought I ought to mention this just in case - there's a lot of info to take in when starting up a new tank.
 :)

Offline Redbelly

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 08:21:10 PM »
Evening ,

Im shocked to hear that the fish I have aren't suitable for my tank. Do you think i should return them to the shop or persevere with them (obviously ideally i would prefer to persevere) ??

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 08:26:24 PM »
If you intend getting a bigger tank before long then persevere. If you don't intend a bigger tank I would return them if the shop will take them.

Then do a fishless cycle  ;)

Once we know how hard your water is we can suggest fish that will go in the Edge. The information should be somewhere on your water company's website. You need the unit as well as the number as water companies can use any of several units.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 11:27:15 PM »
Evening ,

Im shocked to hear that the fish I have aren't suitable for my tank. Do you think i should return them to the shop or persevere with them (obviously ideally i would prefer to persevere) ??

I'm going to disagree with Sue a bit here.  Be aware that Sue is a much more experienced aquarist than myself though.  I think a small shoal of 6 glowlight tetras would be fine in a fluval edge.  They reach a maximum size of 4cm while the Fluval Edge has a length of 43 cm.  That's 10x the length of the fish.  The same website recommends a tank size of 120 cm for many fish over 12 cm in length.  Personally I think 10x swim length is fine.  It's not an exact standard.  There are exceptions, territorial fish really do need additional space to be happier.  That's not the case for Glowlight tetras though.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 09:43:55 AM »
It's not just the size of the fish but the behaviour of the fish. The faster a fish swims, the longer tank it needs regardless of size. Zebra danios, for instance, are small fish but really need a tank over 48 inches/120 cm long and can cross this in under a second. Most tetras are also fast swimmers, though not to the extent of zebra danios, and need a bigger tank than their size alone would indicate.

On the other hand, there are sedate fish, and small sedate fish would be suitable for a 23 litre Edge. With hard water I would suggest male endlers (no females as they are bigger and breed like rabbits) or for soft water one of the Boraras species. And once the tank has been running a few months, for a bit of interest cherry shrimps in whichever colour takes the eye (but only one colour as they'll interbreed to give brown offspring).

Tags: sue fcmf littlefish 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Thank you all for your help, but sadly more help needed "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post August 07, 2014, 08:18:09 PM
by Diz1
11 Replies
Last post March 10, 2017, 10:40:29 AM
by Paddyc
12 Replies
Last post May 20, 2017, 01:19:44 PM
by MarquisMirage
4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2017, 09:49:14 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post July 28, 2018, 03:23:12 PM
by pollydoodle
3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2019, 09:57:03 AM
by Littlefish
8 Replies
Last post August 28, 2019, 11:23:21 PM
by Alostangel

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: