Test Kits & Basics

Author Topic: Test Kits & Basics  (Read 5875 times) 28 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Test Kits & Basics
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 09:10:08 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Out of curiosity I have just measured the temp of our cold tap water, and it is 9oC. I am not a plant expert but I would think that is a bit cold for tropical plants.

Do you have a combi boiler or a hot water tank in the airing cupboard? If it is a combi boiler you can use hot tap water to warm the water going into the tank. But if you have a hot water cylinder it is safer to boil the kettle a few times to warm the water (because of what might contaminate the header tank in the attic)

Do you intend using a hose or buckets to fill the tank? In some ways a bucket is easier, though it will mean quite a few trips with your tank. It is easier to add boiling kettle water to a bucket. And it has the advantage that you can count the buckets and know exactly how much water the tank actually holds.
With the first fill you have a choice. You will need enough dechlorinator for the entire tank of water. With buckets you can either add the correct dose to each bucket or add it all to the first bucket. With a hose, add it as you start filling.

If you run the water into the tank through a colander, it will disturb the substrate less  :)

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 02:24:50 PM »
Thanks Sue, I keep hoping there are some easy methods and was hoping for a hose, you keep telling me as it needs to be. My house has both a combi and a tank, as I have some solar panels, so I cant control where the hot water is coming from, therefore I will be getting a big bucket and boiling the kettle.

in simple maths terms a 10L bucket is 25 and a half loads - think the expression is yikes:

Offline Sue

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 07:09:08 PM »
If it is any consolation, I regularly remove 6 or 7 x 12 litre buckets and refill with 10 to 12 x 7.5 litre buckets when I do a water change  :)  [I don't have to lift the dirty water bucket more than and inch off the floor, but I have to lift the clean water bucket a lot higher which is why I use a smaller one to refill]

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 08:18:29 PM »
@sjames If you have a Combi boiler and a cylinder I would put money on it that it is a mains pressure 'thermal store' or unvented cylinder (not one of the old dome top copper versions) because you cant mix low pressure hot water and the high pressure Combi system - at least not at the same tap.
So with care you could use a hose, two reasons - don't cook them if a flush of 45°C water comes through :( but the main issue would be how to neutralise the chlorine or chloramine in the mains water. Dosing the tank with the correct amount of tapsafe/dechlorinator would be one way, or perhaps better in two or three doses as you fill.
I use a three canister inline filter with a carbon filter as the final stage and then a small amount of treatment but that is more work and hassle to start with.

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2016, 08:49:51 AM »
Thanks Andy, I think you are bang on with the technical.  But I will go kettle and bucket until I am more experienced. Timing wise will not be a burden as I am excited about it all, maybe as time goes by and I gain the experience I will be able to make short cuts.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
The chlorine in the water will evaporate and the greater the surface area the quicker it goes.  If you haven't planted yet I'd advise doing the hardscape (substrate, rocks, wood etc.) and then filling the tank with water so it'll cover the plants.  Leave for around 3-5 days meanwhile heating the water in the tank using your aquarium heater(s) to your desired temperature.  After the chlorine has gone do your planting.  :)

Be cheeky and ask a local fish shop if they'll sell you some ceramic filter (or whatever they're using) from one of their communal sumps.  This will help speed the process along.

Plenty of time to fulfil your xmas target.

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 09:15:38 AM »
The chlorine in the water will evaporate

Some water companies are now using chloramine which won't evaporate.
I just looked at the DWI documents again and I now think that Bristol comes under Central & Eastern. There is a tiny wiggle in the boundary line which suggests the line is south of Bristol. So I checked that region and there is no mention of chloramine in Bristol there either.

Asking a shop for mature media is a good idea unless you know they have a disease in there at the moment. Put the old media inside your new one first in the direction of water flow. Leave out some of the new media to make room.

While looking in the Southern & Eastern region document I found this, which people living there might find useful.

Chloramine is used as the residual disinfectant by Anglian Water in Northamptonshire and surrounding areas (Bedford, Milton Keynes, Northampton and Peterborough) and also in parts of Norwich.
Essex and Suffolk Water use chloramine in the Essex area and parts of Suffolk and Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft and Southwold.
Severn Trent Water supplies with chloramine residual in nine zones in Staffordshire and one in Rutland.

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 01:51:34 PM »
Thanks again.

Marquis, do you think planting in water is easy enough then? I was advised to do it when empty, your  way makes life easier as I can just fill the tank with hose and then heat. I'm not against the longer way, but if planting is easy enough in water that sound like a plan.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 07:45:10 PM »
It's easier in a waterless tank because there's no parallax caused by the light refracted through the water.  There's also the possibility of disturbing the hardscape.  Are you sticking plants to rocks or wood?  You probably want to do that out of water.  So there are some challenges at the planning stage. 

Otherwise it's just a case of sticking a finger in the soil and putting the roots in.  Make sure you follow advice for specific plants though i.e. don't plant the rhizome of an Anubias plant.  Most aquatic plants don't like it if you put some of the stem in the soil so just make sure it's roots only.  Vallisneria is a good example of this.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Test Kits & Basics"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 03:51:23 PM
by Murf
3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2016, 08:33:01 PM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post January 12, 2017, 11:23:26 PM
by Andy The Minion
10 Replies
Last post January 13, 2017, 07:26:29 PM
by Andys101
1 Replies
Last post November 26, 2017, 12:24:33 PM
by Littlefish
17 Replies
Last post January 19, 2018, 03:25:57 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 07:45:26 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: