Temperature Changes In The Tank , What Are The Causes ?

Author Topic: Temperature changes in the tank , what are the causes ?  (Read 4090 times) 7 replies

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Temperature changes in the tank , what are the causes ?
« on: July 26, 2016, 11:30:32 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi
I want to ask if the outside room temperature affects the aquarium temperature ? I noticed in the hot weather recently of 31 c , the tank temp went up by 1-2 degrees . So I lowered the Heater a bit . Now it's cooled down so has the water in the tank ! So I've changed it again . Is this normal ? If so what happens in the winter ?
I've never been happy with the heater as the number I set it on is not the same as the reading on both thermometers . I have the strip one you put on the outside , and the one you have on the inside that has the green section which is meant to be OK for tropical fish.
Ally

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Temperature changes in the tank , what are the causes ?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 11:46:26 AM »
Tank water is indeed affected by room temperature. The usual procedure is to set the heater for the temp you want and just leave it. Heaters have thermostats. If the water temp drops, the heater switches on. In a heatwave where the water gets warmer than the heater is set for, the heater does not switch on. You don't need to keep altering the heater.
Think of it like your central heating. In winter, it comes on till the house has warmed up, then turns off till the temp drops, then turns on again. In summer, it never turns on. You can leave the thermostat at the same setting all year round.

Heater dials are rarely accurate. They are best set using a thermometer and ignoring the number on the dial. This needs to be done when we are not in the middle of a heatwave. Turn the dial to a setting that is lower than the temp you want (if there are fish in the tank, not much lower) and allow the water temp to adjust. When the heater light comes on, look at the thermometer. If the temp is too low, turn the heater dial up one notch and wait till the temp has settled, then look at the thermometer. repeat until you have the temp you are aiming for.
Some treatments require you to turn the temp higher. Always make a note of the heater dial setting before doing this so you know where to set if after treatment has finished.

The stick on the outside thermometers are the least reliable as they are affected by air temp as well as water temp. Go by one that sits inside the tank under water or use a digital thermometer (the kind with a probe that goes in the water and a readout that sits outside the tank).

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 12:31:29 PM »
I noticed in the hot weather recently of 31 c , the tank temp went up by 1-2 degrees .

The room temperature has raised the water temperature. The heater would have switched off at the set temperature.

So I lowered the Heater a bit . Now it's cooled down so has the water in the tank ! So I've changed it again

As stated, the heater wasn't responsible for heating the water when it heated up too much. Dropping the heater simply lowered the setting it will heat to. Heater is performing exactly as it should.

The internal glass thermometers are widely regarded as the most reliable and accurate indicators of the water temp. So I'd recommend you set the heater so that it heats the water to the thermometer reading (eg. 25C is what I use) and stick with that.

If you get further hot days, there are methods you can use to drop the temp down again...

1. Water changes with cold dechlorinated water
2. Sealed plastic bottles of frozen water floated in the tank (ensure they are clean)

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 04:54:04 PM »
I didn't realise the heater switched on and off ! Everything you've both said makes sense . I just find the glass thermometer really hard to read to an exact temperature . The shop told me as long as it's I. The green zone it ok for tropical fish, but how would this be do to cater to different fishes temperature needs ?
I like the one on the outside as its easier to read but can fluctuate , obviously due to room temps likes sue has said .
I will set it like sue suggested .
Thanks
Ally

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 06:59:04 PM »
Some fish need it quite a bit cooler than the green zone but those are really temperate fish eg zebra danios and white cloud mountain minnows. Some fish need it at the lower end of the green zone eg most cories. Some fish prefer the higher end of the green zone eg bettas and rams. The rest will be fine somewhere in the green zone.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 08:15:47 PM »
I didn't realise the heater switched on and off ! Everything you've both said makes sense . I just find the glass thermometer really hard to read to an exact temperature . The shop told me as long as it's I. The green zone it ok

Agree with Sue, it is preferable to have the temperature set "Just so" rather than anywhere in the green zone... I think I may be able to assist with your thermometer readings...

The thermometer on the right is one I got with a bunch of stuff a lady was selling on gumtree. You can see the difference from the more common sized thermometer. I popped it in and left it for a while and there was less than 1 degree celcius in difference to the readout.

I don't need it, so you might as well have it  ;)

If you would like it, PM Me your address and I'll pop it in the post tomorrow  8)

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 08:48:25 PM »
Hi paddy
As my tank is only 22 litres I think it would look to big in my tank . I have found a clever trick to reading it though . I photograph it on my I pad or video it and enlarge it on the screen then I can see it !
Thanks anyway
Ally

Offline ColinB

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 07:45:10 AM »
With a 22litre tank then the water will heat up and cool down faster than, say, a 120litre tank. So a big tank, on a very hot day, won't show much change where as yours will. I have a 55litre tank and I don't use a heater at all, I just let it follow room temp, and all my fish (except for my new Otto's) are over three years old and doing fine. I've never seen the tank above 24ºC or below 18ºC.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Temperature changes in the tank , what are the causes ?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2013, 01:55:22 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 11:30:00 AM
by Aquamaid
5 Replies
Last post November 28, 2014, 12:42:24 PM
by Aquamaid
6 Replies
Last post June 25, 2015, 05:07:27 PM
by Skittler
8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 09:00:12 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2018, 09:48:59 PM
by Andy The Minion
1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2021, 07:00:11 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: