Author Topic: Tank partially empties itself !  (Read 4425 times) 8 replies

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Tank partially empties itself !
« on: September 08, 2016, 09:12:18 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi
I came home from work today and heard the aquarium pump making an odd noise . I ran in to find a quarter of the water had vanished !
I'm not sure what had happened . I did a two litre water change in the morning . The only thing I can think of is the water has gone back up the Venturi pipe and leaked down the back of the unit .
The fish were OK luckily . I also tested the water for nitrite and its zero . Don't know why it did this unless something blocked the outlet pipe ?
Any ideas ?
I'm going to be scared to go out now !
Ally

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Tank partially empties itself !
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 11:59:31 PM »
Funnily enough this happened to me  few days ago in the shrimpery. My filter has a piece of airline attached to it with the venturi valve on the end. I'd left it dangling outside the tank, gravity kicked in and water leaked out through the venturi valve. The valve and airline are now inside the lid and the only place the water can go is back inside the tank.

Does that help?

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »
Hi
Ive also tucked it just in the top of the lid . But it's been hanging down the back for months do can't understand why it did this ?
It's the only thing I don't like about his tank because it looks ugly . Other people don't see, to have this in there tanks . Is it worth putting one of those valves on that you get on bubble stones do you think ?
Ally

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 11:55:13 AM »
What must have happened is that when you did the water change, some water got into the tube. If the level of water in the tube was below the surface of the water in the tank when it was refilled, it would have siphoned water out of the tank until the level dropped to expose the other end of the venturi tube. In future when you do a water change, when you've finished turn the filter on and hold the tube straight up over the filter until the water is sucked out of the tube. But a problem could arise during a power cut where there is a risk of water seeping up the tube while the filter is off.
It should be possible to use a one way valve in the venturi tubing, but with one caution. I have a sponge filter powered by an air pump in my betta's tank and the tubing has come off the valve a couple of times. I would advise checking the seating of the tubing once a week to be on the safe side. Checking as part of a water change would be ideal.

I must admit to finding this a bit strange. I have had 2 makes of filters with venturis and the tube was only a few inches long and stuck straight up in the air. They were too short to reach the back of the tank. But I never used the venturis as I didn't like the way the bubbles just shot across the tank from the filter to the other side. I just removed the tubing and ran the filters without. Bubbles aren't necessary, though a lot of people use them because they like the looks of bubbles.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 01:17:40 PM »
Hi
This has been my main concern with the nano . It does attach very loosely to the filter and is easily pulled off, but because it's in a separate compartment isn't normally an issue .
The instructions were very vague about what to do with the Venturi pipe .
I had to google it. Somewhere in the instructions it said it wasn't always needed . But as I was a novice I went along with it. The filter doesn't produce bubbles anyway only ripples as you can adjust it , so I slowed it right down because moonbeam was getting blown across the tank !
My question is is I remove it how will it suck air in to make the filter produce ripples ?
Allison
Ps my filter is fully submerged

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 01:44:23 PM »
The ripples are created by the flow of water coming out of the filter. If your filter is in a separate compartment you won't be able to twist the filter to point the outlet upwards, but take it from me that they do create quite a jet. One filter I had many years ago refused to start after it had been turned off and the only way to restart it was to take the pump bit off the media bit, hold it underwater so it didn't run in air and flick the impeller. The first few times I did it I got soaked until I learned to point the outlet downwards.
The bubbles are just there to churn the water a bit more and to look pretty. If you haven't got any bubbles, the venturi isn't working so you may as well remove it. That would solve any more problems with it siphoning water out of the tank.

Thinking about it since my last post, the Eheim Aquaball and Biopower filters have this venturi attachment that does work, only I use the mini spray bar attachment instead; I only put the venturi on to see if it worked. The other filter was the Hagen Elite Mini that used to be in my betta's tank. With that one the tube kept filling with water so I never got bubbles.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 08:31:26 PM »
Hi everyone
After the tank emptying itself episode . I did an experiment with the Venturi tube. I discovered that having it up draped over the light allowed more air to enter the tube, which in turn produced finer and a steady flow of bubbles . However it looked crap . Having it level but tucked into the back above the sponge filter didn't allow it to get as much air .
Now the increased bubbles has helped with the oily film on the top . So I decided tocut the tubing to about 2-3 inches , so it sticks upright but not too high. Then wedged it with some sponge so it can't move and stays up a bit like an aerial !
This seem to have worked a treat .
Why they supply it with such a long tube I don't know !
Ive ordered some circular / tube to go over the filter outlet as I keep hearing about bettas getting stuck in filters !
The tanks doing fine other than that and moonbeams tail is fab and long !

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 09:15:01 AM »
Glad to hear you've sorted the problem out. I agree, it does sound a bit odd providing so much tubing; the Eheims I have that can use venturis have very short tubes.

Bettas do have a tendency to try to squeeze into small gaps. It is always safest with them to block any fish sized holes. Until last week, my betta had a cave made from a terracotta plant pot  with about a third cut off the side. The bottom was left intact and these plant pots have a hole in the bottom, so just in case, I siliconed a square of plastic craft mesh over it.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 10:10:28 PM »
Well done on getting the problem resolved and glad to hear that Moonbeam's doing well.  :)

Tags: Tank update 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tank partially empties itself !"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
by maz1
Our Tank

Started by pmalipha Gallery Showcase

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 04:58:24 PM
by ColinB
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
27 Replies
Last post July 14, 2018, 08:04:11 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: