• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Tank-move/upgrade/cycling
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2016, 08:20:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Husband: 'Why are you measuring that corner?!'
Me: 'Err....'

;)

Having the tank up and running is great and very enjoyable, but has of course also led to more questions that need answers! (A fishkeeper's work is never done!).

1. Pictures: I need to work out how to attach pictures -  it's the rule after all. I know it's come up in other posts and will have a look - sticky post maybe?

2. Stocking: lots more research to be done, I'm currently thinking adding either rainbowfish & pseudomugil furcatus (i e. species that are at the warmer end of what my platies and cardinals like) or red-eye tetras and something else danios maybe (at the cooler end). Am hoping to lure the family out to a 'garden centre' tomorrow, that, much to my 'surprise' will 'unexpectedly' contain a decent LFS  ;D I need to do more research after all.

3. Lighting!: my Fluval roma 240 came with two standard tubes - an Aqua Glo T8 and a Power Glo T8. They seem fine, and are probably bright enough for the stuff I've got in my tank: java fern, java moss, vallisneria and hornwort, and one other plant. Like other folks here I don't like the abrupt switch between on and off. Sadly, science and I never really got on so although I've read Simon's thread re his DIY LED lights and looked at Darren website, unfortunate that was a bit beyond me. Maybe I'll limber up to more advanced lighting at some point, but for the moment I'm wondering a) if I should add reflective tape on the inside of the hood, and b) how to add a single strip of blue/moonlight LED lights to the inside of the hood. If someone here was able to offer advice, that would be hugely appreciated. In terms of skills, I can wire a plug but that's about the extend of my electrical knowledge.

Cheers,
Mascha

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Platy (4) - Platy (10) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Cardinal Tetra (8) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Congo Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2016, 08:56:48 PM »
For question 1, look below the reply box and you'll see Attachments and other options. Click on that and you'll see a box Attach. Click browse and look for your photos on your computer (or whatever you use), double click on the photo. It's title should now appear next to the word browse. You can attach more by clicking on More Attachments.

However, there is a size limit for photos, it tells you what the limit is in the Attach section. On my laptop, hovering the pointer over photos brings up a box which includes the size.

Or use a photo hosting website like photobucket and copy and paste the url into the post.

Q2 If you go for red eye tetras make sure you have a biggish shoal as they can be fin nippers in small groups.

Q3. I've got round that by having a small blue LED strip which sits on top of the cover glass, on a separate timer from the main lights. But your tank doesn't have cover glass (I think) so maybe one of the stick on flexible strips would work for you. Take advice from someone who has one.

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2016, 10:19:34 PM »
 Sorry for slow reply Sue - it's been busy with all sorts.

1/ Re photos, I tried attaching one on my tablet and came up against the photo size issue. Will try with the desk top when I get a moment. Hopefully that will include snaps of new fishes that I'm hoping to buy tomorrow  :)

2/ Been umming and arring but I really fancy forktail,  so hoping to buy a nice number tomorrow.

3/That's right, no cover glas,  so will have a look at stick on strips.

Off to the LFS tomorrow to buy new fishes! Very excited  :D

Platy (4) - Platy (10) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Cardinal Tetra (8) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Congo Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2016, 10:25:31 PM »
It's a great feeling knowing you're going to get new fish, I never get tired of it. Best of luck for tomorrow!!  :cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2016, 10:36:20 PM »
Fish shopping tomorrow - hooray!  :cheers:
Have a fantastic day and post some pictures when you can.  :)

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2016, 09:43:43 PM »
Hi
Just to say crews hill is great , I live 30 min drive from there . It's where I got my tank, bogwood , substrate etc from . Saturday mornings are quieter , as Sunday's is quite busy with people taking their children for a look round . Wildwoods is huge and has an excellent selection of fish . If you want a betta go early sat morning as sometimes they are sold out by the afternoon!
The smaller one behind springtime is also good and the guy on the till is very helpful . Both of these will test your water if you are doing a fish less cycling so you don't put fish in until it's safe . Which is what I did .
Wild woods has some small pieces of bogwood for £1-£3 which is great for small tanks and for tying plants too . ( just bought a small piece today that looks like a tree trunk )
Which I'm currently soaking .
Well worth a visit as there are many others around there .
Ally

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2016, 07:33:36 AM »
Well, it was a very successful shopping trip. I came home with 8 Pseudomugil furcatus, 2 zebra nerite snails (to keep my other snail company), plants (hygrophilia - sp?) and a small pot of floating plants.

The forktails are brilliant! I'm so glad I took the time to research suitable fish for my tank. They are very lively fish that love exploring the top of the tank - which is great as that was quite empty - apart from the odd platy. They're great fun to watch. Their presence also seems to have made the platies and cardinals braver, as they are swimming a bit more out in the open.  They definitely coloured up a bit after arriving jn their new home, but of course these being juvenile rainbowfish, it'll be a while before they'll reach their full colour potential. The guy at the LFS claimed he gave me 3 males and 5 females, though I'm struggling to see any difference.

Working today, but really will try to pst a pic today!

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2016, 07:46:30 AM »
Fantastic news.  :cheers:  :fishy1:

Offline ColinB

« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2016, 07:54:26 AM »
Indeed... I do like those Pseudomugils.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2016, 09:37:41 AM »
Great news. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.  :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2016, 12:14:09 PM »
Indeed... I do like those Pseudomugils.

Me too as the males are so pretty. I'm interested to see how Mascol gets on with them, mine have always died from dropsy and having spent considerable time inspecting the ones in MA they seem to have the same problem, about 90% of their fish sit at the surface gulping for air.

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2016, 07:21:48 AM »
So far so good. No signs of any illness, infection or other lurgies. I got them from my nearest MA. Looked at them two weeks before I went to buy them. Didn't see any fish gasping at the surface then, or the second time around, when I bought the forktails.

One thing that slightly surprised me is that they didn't ask me any questions at all when selling me the fish.  I could have stuffed them in a goldfish bowl for all they know!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2016, 08:57:53 AM »
Great news on your fish. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures (hint, hint).  ;D

I'm surprised they didn't question you about the tank.

Offline Sue

« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2016, 12:13:28 PM »
The MA that I use have never asked me about my tank either. I just say 'I want x of these fish' and they get them for me. Maybe if I wanted a lot of fish at once they would ask but I've never bought more than one shoal at a time from them.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2016, 12:31:27 PM »
At least one of the guys @ MA knows almost as much about my tanks as I do, as does one of the guys at the independent LFS, so I tend to get asked "which tank are they going in?", "do you want that tank we've got on sale?" and then spend 10 minutes looking at pictures on their phones as an update on their projects.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2016, 01:10:47 PM »
Part of the fun of going to Crews Hill is chewing the fat with other experienced fish keepers. The manager at MA lives in the same road as my Mum and Dad and he's said if he sees me walking past when he's in he'll give me a shout so I can have a look at his tanks.

Funnily enough I never realised he lived in my parents road and then when I found out exactly where he lived it turns out my son used to play with his little brother  :) small world

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2016, 12:20:43 AM »
Oops, and all of a sudden two months have gone by! That's what happens when work is busy, and sons are off school.

Im pleased to report that things are generally well in the Roma 240, and that the tank and it's inhabitants have survived our first two-week summer holiday. We'll mostly.....

It's always a little nerve wracking  coming back after a two week summer holiday and wondering what you are going to find. Luckily the tank was looking well although I've lost one pseudomugil unfortunately. One of the big female platys has also disappeared *(no remains foundd) but everything else is hunky dory.

But it's late so more updates to follow soonish.

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2016, 08:38:39 AM »
When I bought my pseudomugil, the guy at MA gamely assured me he had picked out 3 males and 5 females. Now they have been in their new home for some weeks, it's become clear that it's the other way round! One of the forktails has unfortunately disappeared - presumed dead  - whlist we were on holiday, but the remaining fish are very clearly 2 females and 5 males.

Once the boys are back at school (next week Wednesday and not a moment too soon!) I'll be able to plot a trip to MA to add some pseudomugil (females hopefully this time!) and some other fish to complete stocking the tank. Probably going with dwarf rainbows but not fully decided yet.

Not made any progress on replacing my old 90 litre yet, but when I get to it I'm hoping to put lamprologus ocellatus in it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2016, 09:24:52 AM »
Not made any progress on replacing my old 90 litre yet, but when I get to it I'm hoping to put lamprologus ocellatus in it.

Ooh nice. I love shell dwellers  :)

My water is too soft for them and I don't want to go down the route of adding Rift Lake salts at every water change, so if you get them maybe we should resurrect the idea of 'tank twinning' people with soft and hard water ;D

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2016, 11:19:31 PM »
I'm totally sold on shell dwellers, but not sure what tank to get. It can't be more than 60x 40 footprint to fit in the corner where I want to put it.

The Interpet Aquaverse 65 looked promising (right size and a graphite coloured cabinet that would match the decor perfectly). Alas, this aquarium gets many terrible reviews, so I'm not sure I want to risk it. My Fluval Roma 240 on the other hand is great, so I could get the smaller Roma 90 to house shell dwellers. If only they did one with a nice grey cabinet!

I was wondering if I could give an aquarium cabinet a makeover with paint or Fablo - or would that just look a mess?

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tank-move/upgrade/cycling "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post October 21, 2013, 08:21:21 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2014, 10:07:34 PM
by fdm
2 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 12:54:05 AM
by CoronaFish
4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 03:32:33 PM
by Alex_N
12 Replies
Last post November 30, 2016, 04:17:13 AM
by Wil7985
2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2017, 11:51:00 AM
by Robert
11 Replies
Last post March 10, 2017, 10:40:29 AM
by Paddyc

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: