Tank-move/upgrade/cycling

Author Topic: Tank-move/upgrade/cycling  (Read 18141 times) 83 replies

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Tank-move/upgrade/cycling
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2016, 07:53:58 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Just past Crews Hill station on the right there's a board listing masses of shops and there's a new aquarium shop just opened, the birds are in the same place. Further on Wyevale Garden Centre also on the right has an MA. Opposite Kingfisher Aquatics which has newts and axolotls @Littlefish  and reptile place. Next garden centre along Springfields Nursery has Marine Aquatics at the back. Opposite Springfields is Pets Corner and Enfield Aquatics is in there. Further down the road once you go round the bend on the right is Wildwoods Aquatics :)

Enjoy!

You're just saying that to annoy me  ;)

Good news about the cycling progress, folk.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2016, 08:04:38 PM »
Yay, 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, so have added 6ml ammonia as per Sue's guide, and hopefully will get two more big fat zeros tomorrow! It's motoring along very nicely. It seems adding some media from my old filter and adding daily pinches of flakes, prior to the arrival of the household ammonia, has helped things along.

Platy (4) - Platy (10) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Cardinal Tetra (8) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Congo Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2016, 08:07:10 PM »
Woot-woot. Start planning your trip to the fish shop!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2016, 09:59:19 PM »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get big fat zeros tomorrow.  :cheers:

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2016, 07:30:30 PM »
Alas I cried victory too soon! Back up to 0.25 ammonia and between 2.0 - 5.0 nitrites. Have given it another dose of 6ml ammonia and will leave it well alone for two days now.

At least that gives me more time to think about fish. As anyone who has ever been out shopping with me will testify, I can take a while to make up my mind  ;)

There are some lovely fishes out there and frankly I'm finding it very hard to choose. One school of larger rainbowfish would be a great addition, but on the other hand a couple of schools of much smaller fish (emerald dwarf rasboras/pearl danio/glowlight danio) would also look fab. Maybe a trip out to Fiona's aquatic walhalla may help solve the dilemma.

Platy (4) - Platy (10) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Cardinal Tetra (8) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Congo Tetra (6) -

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2016, 07:46:47 PM »
One school of larger rainbowfish would be a great addition, but on the other hand a couple of schools of much smaller fish (emerald dwarf rasboras/pearl danio/glowlight danio) would also look fab.
One factor which might be worth considering is how far away you'd be, if you were sitting admiring your tank, and whether you'd want to be able to see and recognise the individuals or whether the general movement and colouring/patterning would suffice. For example, I generally sit about 6 feet away from my tank and can just about make out the individual fish in the tank ie recognise who's who among the harlequins and tetras. When I had smaller, pygmy cory fish, it was difficult to do this from that distance. I realise that this is actually quite an important factor for me and any future choice of fish - but it may not be of interest to others.

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2016, 10:48:24 PM »
That's a very good point actully, thanks. I'm often quite a long way from the aquarium so slightly larger fish might make sense. Hmm, more factors to compute!

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2016, 07:37:52 PM »
Tantalisingly close to the end of the cycle - I think anyway.

Day 10: ammonia 0 and nitrite 0 - dosed 6ml ammonia
Day 11: ammonia 0.25 and nitrite somewhere between 2.0 and 5.0 ppm - dosed 6ml
Day 12: skipped and did not measure
Day 13: ammonia 0 and nitrite 0.25 - dosed 6ml
Day 14: ammonia 0 and nitrite 0 - dosed 6 ml
Day 15: ammonia 0 and nitrite 0.25 - dosed 6 ml

I'm thinking that I can't be very far off.

Therefore I've cleared my schedule for Wednesday and will be taking myself off to Crews Hill Enfield for an LFS-based extravaganza :-) A little treat from me, to me, and unless the house is on fire, I WILL be going  :rotfl:

Mascha

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2016, 10:17:25 AM »
Day 15: ammonia 0 and nitrite 0.25 - dosed 6 ml. I'm thinking that I can't be very far off.

Therefore I've cleared my schedule for Wednesday and will be taking myself off to Crews Hill Enfield for an LFS-based extravaganza :-) A little treat from me, to me, and unless the house is on fire, I WILL be going  :rotfl:

Wyevale do a very nice cream tea Mascha  :) I always treat myself to one when I'm down there. Say hi to Tom for me when you go into MA  :)

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2016, 03:10:04 PM »
Ok, so the house wasn't on fire, but my husband's car needed an emergency visit to the garage - and as he's away for work, the honour fell in me.... Grrr.

So I didn't have enough time to get to Enfield  but I did manage a round trip to MA St Albans in stead,  and spent a very happy hour and a half researching fish.

They had most of te fish on my list, which was great. Loved the red-eye tetras, celebes rainbowfish, pseudomugil furcatus, maybe Odessa barbs and pearl danios . Less convinced by paradise fish - they look agressive - threadfin rainbows (too finny) and glass bloodfin tetra. Celebes halfbeak was very unusual but I was told they will eat smaller tankmates, so probably no.

Oops, time to collect the boys from school.

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2016, 07:47:19 PM »
Hurray, two big fat zeroes, 24 hours after another two big fat zeroes. Aquarium is officially cycled  :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2016, 07:48:28 PM »
 :cheers:

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2016, 08:00:07 PM »
Well done on completing the cycle! It's a great feeling when you can start getting excited about going fish shopping instead of just window-shopping  8)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2016, 08:35:29 PM »
Congratulations on your double zeros.  :cheers:

:fishy1:  :fishy1:  :fishy1:  :fishy1:  :fishy1:  :fishy1:  :fishy1:
Time to go fishy shopping.
  ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2016, 08:49:24 PM »
woot - woot, and even more woot!

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2016, 10:13:40 PM »
:cheers:

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2016, 10:36:48 PM »
Thank you, thank you very much (in my best Elvis voice) :-)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2016, 12:10:30 PM »
Congratulations  :cheers: The marine display tank in St Albans if pretty impressive  :) I go there too sometimes.

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2016, 02:52:17 PM »
Yes, I loved the marine tank at MA St Albans but did not allow myself to be too distracted by it from my mission! Which was of course looking at lovely fishes for the big tank.

It does make a difference seeing fish 'in the fin' and watching them swim. I loved the red-eye tetras, pseudomugil furcatus and pygmy puffers (the cutest things ever!) in particular. But they don't all like the same temperatures. In short, no firm decisions have been made yet, though I'm leaning towards a biggish school of red-eye tetras.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2016, 06:25:19 PM »
I love my dwarf/pygmy puffers. They are very cute and I wouldn't be without them.
You could always have another tank for them in the future.  ;D

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tank-move/upgrade/cycling "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post October 21, 2013, 08:21:21 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2014, 10:07:34 PM
by fdm
2 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 12:54:05 AM
by CoronaFish
4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 03:32:33 PM
by Alex_N
12 Replies
Last post November 30, 2016, 04:17:13 AM
by Wil7985
2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2017, 11:51:00 AM
by Robert
11 Replies
Last post March 10, 2017, 10:40:29 AM
by Paddyc

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: