Tank Heater

Author Topic: Tank Heater  (Read 6269 times) 7 replies

Offline eddy856

• Tropical Fish FTW!
Tank Heater
« on: November 04, 2015, 11:18:46 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and to the fishkeeping world and just setting up my juwel rekord 700 tank.
I bought it second hand and he had everything working fine. I've cleaned everything and have new filter media and have had the tank on for about 48 hours now.
I initially turned the heater on to 24 degrees and left if for about 24 hours but the temperature only got up to about 20 degrees. I've since turned it up to 28 degrees and checking tonight (after about 48 hours of it being set up) its up to 23.8 degrees.
I have a thermometer with 2 probes, one next to the filter casing and one on the opposite side of the tank and they both read the same.
The heater that came with the tank is the juwel 50w heater, this is the heater that juwel supply with the rekord 700 tank and they say its fine to heat the tank of this size.
Am I worrying too soon? Will it heat up in the next few days? Or is the heater to blame... Should I be getting a new one?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Ember Tetra (2) - Panda Cory (2) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (2) - Cherry Barb (4) - Assassin Snail (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Tank Heater
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 07:22:48 AM »
Hello Eddy and welcome

Heaters are not that accurate in my opinion so don't panic yet.  I'm sure somebody with more experience will be along to advise.

In the meantime, are you doing a fishless cycle.  I ask because although it's a second  hand tank you have replaced the media so it will no longer support fish very happily?

What are you thinking of putting in the tank

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 08:23:44 AM »
Hi Eddy,

In my experience, filters can often malfunction after switching them off for water changes or cleaning them, but a bit of fiddling usually gets them working again; however, I haven't (yet) experienced this problem with heaters.

It's very possible that, in the move from its previous home, the heater got inadvertently bumped and may no longer be working.  The damage may or may not be visible.

Unlike Sanjo, I actually thought heaters were very accurate and had never heard of them taking a while to adjust themselves to be accurate.  In fact, I was going to advise that it sounded as though you might have to get a new one unless there was some sort of anomaly specific to that particular type of heater that it was known to be temperamental.  However, it seems from Sanjo's post as though it isn't a unique problem, so perhaps others can advise further...

Offline Richard W

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 10:14:24 AM »
The temperature settings on heaters are often inaccurate, it's best to rely on a good thermometer to find what the tank temperature really is. Most heaters also have an orange light to show when it is on, if the light is permanently on then the heater is still trying to reach the set temperature, if it goes off before the temperature is reached then it is probably inaccurate settings on the thermostat.

What is the room temperature? Heaters are rated appropriate for tank size if the ambient (room) temperature is "normal", but if a tank is in an unheated room it might need a more powerful heater to maintain the required temperature during the colder parts of the year.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 10:49:59 AM »
I will add that the usual recommendation for heaters is 1 watt per litre of water. In my experience, Juwel are usually spot on with their quoted volumes so your Rekord 700 holds 70 litres of water. But you need to deduct the water displaced by the substrate, decor etc so say 60 litres actual water. Your 50 watt heater falls a bit below the "rule". And tank manufacturers are well known for the minimum level of equipment they include with the tank.

If you do intend doing a fishless cycle, you need the water at 28 to 30oC during the cycling process. And if your fish ever get whitespot you'll need to heat the water to that temp as well. The heater in my old Rio would not get the water to that temp at its highest setting.

If you decide to replace the heater, I use Eheim Jager heaters - the 75w or even 100w would be the size to go for.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 12:15:36 PM »
It is annoying that you set the heater to the temperature on the dial, and subsequently find the actual temperature falls way short.
It's a shame they can't calibrate them better, but I suppose we'd have to pay significantly more.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline eddy856

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 01:21:23 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys!

In the meantime, are you doing a fishless cycle.  I ask because although it's a second  hand tank you have replaced the media so it will no longer support fish very happily?
Hi Sanjo, Simple answer is....Yes I am. I bought "Interpet New Aquarium start up kit" and I am on day 3 of the cycle, I have completed 1 water quality test so far (obviosly more to come) and water quality is good.
I have used the community creator and I plan on putting in the following:
Dwarf Rainbowfish - 5
Glowlight Tetra - 6
Guppy (female) - 2
Flag Cichlid - 2

What is the room temperature?
Richard the room temperature is usually around 18 degrees during the day (when were out) and 22 when were at home. It does have an orange glow but ive not noticed when it turns on and off, I will check tonight. As I mentioned I have a thermometer with two probes as I don't trust the thermostat on the heater but this has only read as high as 23.8 degrees so far.

Looks like from your comments I need to replace the heater, Sue your suggestion for the 75watt heater looks good.

Ember Tetra (2) - Panda Cory (2) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (2) - Cherry Barb (4) - Assassin Snail (1) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 02:20:56 PM »
Hi Sanjo, Simple answer is....Yes I am. I bought "Interpet New Aquarium start up kit" and I am on day 3 of the cycle, I have completed 1 water quality test so far (obviosly more to come) and water quality is good.

Unfortunately, that isn't a fishless cycle. You need to add ammonia for a fishless cycle. The start up kit you mention contains a bottled bacteria product and more than likely will do nothing leaving you doing a fish-in cycle with all the hard work that involves. Your water quality should be excellent as you haven't yet added a source of ammonia, either from a bottle or fish excreting it.
This explains what a fishless cycle is.

The start up kit seems to contain:
A bottle of Fresh Start, a dechlorinator which also removes heavy metals. You need this, all water added to the tank needs to be treated with a dechlorinator. When the bottle runs out, you can choose from many different ones.
A bottle of Filter Start. This is the bottled bacteria, and probably won't work as you might think. Very few of the bottled bacteria products on the market do anything.
Test kit. What exactly does this contain? One sites says pH and nitrate, another says pH and nitrite. You need ammonia and nitrite, pH is a good idea and nitrate maybe.

As regards your fish list, you might find the rainbowfish a bit active for a 61cm tank. And you may have problems finding flag cichlids. I've only ever seen them in one shop. Be flexible on these, maybe look at apistogrammas instead. The easiest to keep are cockatoos and agassizis, both in the cichlid section of the fish profiles.
And two female guppies will turn into a lot of guppies very quickly. Female livebearers like guppies can store sperm for around 6 months, and give birth to a batch of fry every month for 6 months without a male. If a female guppy has ever been in a tank with a male for longer than about 2 minutes, she will be pregnant when you buy her and carrying sperm  :-\

Another factor to consider is the hardness of your water. Your water company's website should have that info, though they may give a bewildering assortment of units. You need to look at German degrees or mg/l CaCO3 (aka ppm). If they give them both, even better.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tank Heater"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 10:46:10 PM
by jesnon
3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 05:03:52 PM
by denzilsdad
1 Replies
Last post November 25, 2013, 08:41:08 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 03:15:06 PM
by evan47
6 Replies
Last post December 16, 2014, 08:32:32 PM
by Gav
3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2015, 01:49:48 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post July 10, 2019, 07:10:03 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: