Author Topic: Tank for a Betta  (Read 3438 times) 5 replies

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Tank for a Betta
« on: September 27, 2014, 03:14:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Afternoon everyone

I've just come home with an impulse buy, and now I'm not sure  if it will be suitable, so any advice would be appreciated.
I was going to put my new Betta (not to be purchased for a few weeks yet) into my Aqua Nano 40. However, I was at my LFs today and they were selling some tanks off cheap because they're moving premises. I've bought one (only cost me £15) because I thought it would be Ok for a Betta. It's a Clearseal tank, dimensions are:

61 cm long
20 cm wide and
20 cm deep (i.e that would be depth of water).

The guy said it would hold 21 litres and i've filled it up at home to test it and it does hold this much without substrate, plants etc. The LFS guy also threw in an Eiheim mini flat filter (5 Watt/ 300l/h) for an extra £5.

I thought that a longer, shallower tank might be more like the Betta's natural habitat. Would that be right?
I know I'll need a heater as well, but can get that later.

So, is this tank OK for my future Betta? Any advice before I go and break the news to the other half would be most appreciated.

Diz  ;)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Tank for a Betta
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 07:09:35 PM »
It's fine for a betta. Yes they do prefer shallower tanks as it is less distance to swim upwards for air. Those fins weigh them down. The volume is fine as well. The recommended minimum is 5 American gallons which is 19 litres. For that sized tank a 25 watt heater would be fine, though you might have to have it at a 45 deg angle to make it fit.

I've had Clearseal tanks in the past and they didn't come with lights - does yours have a light? It's only really an issue if you want live plants. If you want synthetic, get silk plants not plastic as they can have sharp edges. Decor needs to be smooth as well - use the tights test. That's just an old pair of tights rubbed gently over the decor to see if they snag on it.
Substrate can be anything you want from glass beads to sand.

Feed pellets food designed for bettas. Flakes can cause bloat. Soak the pellets first so they are already swollen up before the betta eats them. Live or frozen live once or twice a week. Avoid dried bloodworm as they are well known for causing bloat. And remember that bettas are pigs when it comes to food. They will beg for food whenever they see you. Don't give in!

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 08:05:50 AM »
Thanks Sue – that's a relief, I wasn't sure what this tank might be suitable for if not a Betta!
No the tank doesn't have lights. I'm, going to get one of those Interpet waterproof LED light strips for it.
I've decided to go with silk plants for this tank, just for a contrast to the main tank, so the light will just be for me really. I've also ordered a fake (aquarium safe) mangrove tree root for him to swim in and out of. This ornament is all smooth and the 'roots' are quite widely spaced, so he should be OK with that.

Really pleased with the tank, it'll really give me something to look forward to once I'm back from holiday. I think I'm going to give the Aqua Nano to my brother, who's expressed an interest in it, so the Honey Gourami will still go into the main tank and I'll get a girlfriend for him once he's settled.

Thanks again for your help, it's great to know that you can turn to this forum for advice during this very steep learning curve! :)

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
Actually, I've been looking at 25W heaters on the internet. There are some horrifying reviews where customers have lost fish due to the thermostat over- or under-heating the water, or the heater exploding. Makes me a bit nervous. Does anyone have any knowledge of heaters that are reliable and trustworthy? Ideally one with the numbers displayed and a light to indicate when its on would be good. ???

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 05:18:16 PM »
I have a visitherm 25 w heater in my betta's tank. I've had it several years with no problems. Before that I had a Sera 25w heater which started to steam up inside after quite a few years which is why I replaced it with the visistherm. Both have a scale on the front to set them and they have a light which comes on when the heater is truned on.
Eheim Jager also make a 25 watt heater. I've never used the 25 watt but I had a 125 watt in my 125 litre tank and I've now got a 200w one in my 180 litre tank. Both of those are fine. I only stopped using the 125 was I no longer have a 125 litre tank and it wasn't big enough for the 180. (Yes I know, I could have just got a second 100w heater but my husband objects to too many wires on show as they go into the multisocket)

I think a lot of people go for those really cheap heaters from China, and those are the ones that have problems. The more expensive ones are, by and large, worth the money.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 05:28:49 PM »
Great. thanks Sue, will investigate one of these then
 :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tank for a Betta"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2014, 06:45:31 PM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post November 03, 2014, 10:07:31 AM
by biffster
2 Replies
Last post March 13, 2015, 08:01:39 PM
by Aquamaid
0 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 04:25:20 PM
by Alex_N
5 Replies
Last post February 05, 2016, 12:40:44 PM
by Extreme_One
2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2016, 09:55:04 PM
by AdyDnt
6 Replies
Last post September 20, 2016, 01:15:11 PM
by Gabriel

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: