Suitable Tankmates

Author Topic: Suitable Tankmates  (Read 6024 times) 10 replies

Offline piggy

• Fishy Member
Suitable Tankmates
« on: January 22, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Guys,

I am new to the Forum and Still a novice at Tropical Fishkeeping.
I am looking for suggestions on some new additions to my tank, this set up has been running for about a year and the latest additions have been in for a few weeks.
4ft Tank with Fluval 305 Cannister
240l
Temp 25 Degrees
PH 7
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10
at the Moment i have
1- Common Pleco
2 - 3 spot Gouramis
1 - Gold Gourami
1 - Indian (banded) Gourami
1 - Honey Gourami
4 - Female Swordtails
1 - Climbing Spotted Perch
1 - German Blue Ram
1 - Gold Ram
1 - Elec Blue Ram
all the above are co-habiting with no problems but i would like to add a few more fish, possibly some Schooling fish? and would love some opinions please

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (4) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Zebra Danio (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (8) - Three Spot Gourami (3) - Honey Gourami (1) - Climbing Perch / Bush Fish (1) - Banded Gourami (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (3) - Panda Cory (5) - Swordtail (female) (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Suitable Tankmates
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

To answer your question with another question..... do you have hard, medium or soft water? Rams prefer soft water while swordtails prefer hard water, so I presume you have medium water.

If you want a shoaling fish then something non-nippy like the fiveband barb or the lemon tetra would be good. But if you have pH7 and medium water then you could have just about any sort of tetra or barb.

Have you checked out the community creator on this site? It'll tell you your stocking levels and you can browse the fish profiles and check for compatability issues. It's here: http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/article/community-creator.html

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 06:37:45 PM »
I agree with everything Colin says  :) The community creator is accessed at the bottom of all the fish profiles.

I would also ask a few questions about your current fish.

Firstly, are you aware that a common plec will get too big for your tank? Don't be fooled into thinking that fish only grow to the size of your tank. Yes it will but only with resulting health issues. The community creator flags up the size issue for your tank.

You have quite a lot of gouramis. Are they amongst the new additions or have you had them a while? Your 3-spots and the gold are the same species, so unless you have only 1 male among the three there is likely to be trouble later.

The rams - are you aware of their need for soft, acidic water, low nitrates and a temp in the very high 20s to do well. Your pH at 7 is a bit on the high side for them, and the temp at 25 is too low. Rams kept in conditions they don't like tend to get sick more easily.

Offline piggy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 08:19:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies,
 I inherited the pleco i didn't choose him (literally someone arrived at my place with it in a bag) and will look at rehoming it when necessary.  The Gouramis where among the first fish i had, the newest additions are the 3 Rams which are youngsters, the person i purchased them from said they would be fine in my community at 25 degrees :-(
My GH is 10
and my KH is 5?
my 3 spots are one of each sex and the gold is a male,
so would i be ok to raise the temp a degree or two to better suit the rams? or will this upset everything else.
The info available from the internet can be very conflicting and it is difficult to know who to trust,  this is my reason for asking for advise from real people keeping fish instead of confusing myself reading different info on the web.
Thanks again

Panda Cory (4) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Zebra Danio (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (8) - Three Spot Gourami (3) - Honey Gourami (1) - Climbing Perch / Bush Fish (1) - Banded Gourami (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (3) - Panda Cory (5) - Swordtail (female) (4) -

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 08:06:38 AM »
Also how big is your climbing perch? These fish can get 15-20cm and are very good preditors of small fish. I would worry about keeping one with rams as it may get big enough to eat them, or at least try. However your water peramiters are spot on for it.

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -

Offline piggy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 08:22:05 AM »
Thanks Don,

at the Moment it is about 8 or 9cm

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 08:24:06 AM »
You could maybe increase the temp to 26oC, but your other fish won't like it hotter. But keep an eye on the rams. There is a body of thought that says farmed fish are more tolerant of water conditions, including temp, than wild caught - and most fish in the shops are farm bred. But others say they are less tolerant as they are 'juiced up' to get them more colourful and therefore more likely to be sold. If you do find they don't last, try bolivian rams. They are nothing to look at in shop tanks but are much more attractive when they've settled in. I've had them, I know  :) The main downside is they they are very difficult to sex unless their breeding tubes are visible.

Good to hear about the sex ratio of the 3-spot/gold gouramis  :)

Your plec - wow, I didn't know people were likely to do that to someone with a tank. I'd better keep quiet about mine  :o I know big fish are quite often dumped on shops, but hobbyists..........

Offline piggy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 08:44:01 AM »
Thanks Sue,
The plec at moment is approx 27cm and doesn't cause any problems with other fish (but he does love to rearrange the tank for me),  I have always known that he will likely get too big but he is lovely to look at and all the other fish take advantage of his messy feeding habits and hang around him when he is going about his clumsy business  :D i felt so sorry for him and couldn't let him end up just anywhere (or worse) The rams look great at the moment and are feeding well and seem confident even though along with my honey they are the smallest inhabitants.
I noticed today that one of my female swordtails has grown a sword, any ideas if this is normal or could it be caused by incorrect conditions for it?

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 08:55:48 AM »
Swordtails can have late developing males. Yours could just be a female that for some reason is growing a sword, or it could be a slow developing male. Keep an eye on its anal fin. Assuming they develop like endlers (which I have) the first ray will start to elongate as the first stage of gonopodium development, so if it is a late developer, you will have chance to spot it before it becomes fully functional adult male.

Have you got all females to avoid fry? With the fish you have, most fry won't stand a chance.........

Offline piggy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »
Hi Sue,

I used to have 4 females and 2 males and i managed to rescue 2 fry and grew them on a smaller tank and put them back when they got larger.
But sadly a few months ago i had a major catastrophe.... my pump got completely blocked by a leaf, i was away for the weekend, when i got back the water was VERY cloudy and i had lost both male swords, 2 adult female swords and a female Gold Gourami the rest of the tank were gasping, but recovered quickly after  unblocking the pump and a few large water changes. so that's how i ended up with no males.  the sword growth confused me because the 4 females are all much bigger than the males were and different body shape.
I felt very guilty for quite a while after that and very nearly gave up,  but i have a renewed passion now and want to learn more and be a good responsible fish keeper  ;D
as for the Plec being dumped on me, the culprit is young and impulsive and was trying to keep the Plec with 2 Oscars so as they all grew in size they were aggravating each other and causing water to splash out of the tank and i imagine also stressing each other out.  I got the Plec and someone else got one of the oscars (phew) which has since gone back to the shop.
would it be ok for me to add a few almond leaves to my tank to slightly soften the water  for the rams? or is this not a good idea.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »
Your water isn't too bad for hardness. It's sort of middling rather than hard. Things like Indian almond leaves do affect pH, much like bogwood, but I don't think they'll affect hardness. It is very difficult to remove calcium from water - that's what hardness measures.
One way to lower hardness is by using RO water - mix it with your tapwater to dilute the calcium and reduce hardness. If you were to go this route, experiment ona  bucket of water first till you get the level you want.

But.... swordtails like hard alkaline water. To paraphrase a famous expression, you can't please all of the fish all of the time.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Suitable Tankmates"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
23 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 08:00:13 AM
by chris213
26 Replies
Last post July 12, 2016, 05:21:33 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2016, 04:57:53 PM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post November 01, 2016, 07:48:42 AM
by ColinB
8 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 09:46:19 PM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2018, 12:56:30 PM
by Littlefish
1 Replies
Last post February 05, 2021, 04:39:15 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: