Suggestions For Slightly Bigger Fish

Author Topic: Suggestions for slightly bigger fish  (Read 3353 times) 12 replies

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Suggestions for slightly bigger fish
« on: February 28, 2018, 10:43:45 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hiya, looking for some ideas on slightly bigger fish for my every growing fish family  :fishy1:
I've now got 15 Harlies, 14 Rummy Nose Tetras and 5 Skunk Corys. It was supposed to be 15 Rummies but guy in the shop didn't seem to know what he was doing, which was a worry, as he let one of them jump out of the net onto the floor  :yikes: at least he didn't give me that one! It seemed to be OK when he put in back in the tank, poor wee thing.
Also since I got the corys I've read I should have got at least 6, would it be OK to add another couple now?
Anyway main reason for the post, is although I love the current fish, they are all fairly small and although quite a few of them, because I have a lot of plants sometimes it doesn't look as if there is anything in the tank! So looking for something a wee bit bigger, that won't bully the corys or eat the wee ones. There is so much to consider I think I'm overloaded and every time I go to the fish shop I see something else and start searching again then end up just going back to something like Honey Gourami's once my brain start to fry  :-\
The advice I get here is always really sound so any suggestions would be really great, as I might just end up with loads of tiny fish is I don't watch  :fishy1:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Suggestions for slightly bigger fish
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 11:12:51 AM »
So we are talking about a 240 litre, 120 cm long tank and very soft water (31 ppm, 1.7 dH)

First of all, yes, get some more cories. You do have plenty room in that sized tank! Adding to a shoal of cories is not a problem as they are just about the least hierarchical, least territorial fish we can buy. (Tip - skunk cories are not in the database on here, so use panda cories in the community creator at the rate of 1.5 panda per shunk, as skunks are bigger than pandas, so for your current 5 skunks use 8 pandas)

Harlequins and rummies are not as small as, say, neon tetras, so how about pearl gouramis, 1 m 2 f? I know the CC says they shouldn't be kept with harlies and rummies but they should be fine - that's just a note of caution, not that they definitley will eat the smaller fish. Pearls are a lot less aggressive than the three spot gourami in all its colours (opaline, gold etc)
Or Bolivian rams, which grow bigger than rams (in all their colours - blue, german blue, gold, electric blue etc)?
Or a species of Apistogramma? Male cockatoo cichlids (A. cacatuoides) get quite big.

The last two, being cichlids, do need to choose their own mates. If you decide on a cichlid, I can tell you how to chose a bonded pair from a shop tank.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 11:48:02 AM »
Hi, Sue yeah you've got a good memory, the hardness seems to be a little higher when I test the water with the kits, that the water company website, I get to 5 drops before colour changes so I'm about 89.5 ppm but think that is still pretty soft? Are you're suggestions still OK with that?
Will definitely get more Corys they're really quite fun to watch.
I did like the idea of Pearl Gouramis but thought they'd be too big so that's good to know, but I do like the idea of something which I'm not that familiar with, so I'll have a browse the others and let you know what I decide before buying in case I do go for a cichlid.
Thanks again  :D

Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 02:33:08 PM »
Bare (bear?) in mind that if a pair of cichlids breeds, and if it's a compatible pair they probably will, then they will defend their kids against all comers, which will not be tolerated anywhere near them. And you'll have to feed the fry(?)

Pearl Gouramies are a good choice. They're nowhere near big enough to eat a fish the size of a Neon, since they have a very small mouth (and are not fish-eaters anyway). They are quite a shy fish though and like dense planting, and not a strong current. They're worth it though, very beautiful fish once they're fully mature.

Do you want just one or two bigger fish or a group? You could go for a group of Dwarf Rainbows, African Red-Eyed Tetras, or many others that are not coming to mind (I've just done a 17 hour shift largely because of snow, and need to sleep).

For cichlids how about Laetacara (dorsigera, curviceps... very peaceful), Keyholes...

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 05:27:40 PM »
thanks Mark, yeah I always like the Pearl Gourami but thought they were too big, but as they are OK I might opt for them.
Think probably just a few bigger ones then maybe a group of mid size, so I'll have a look at your suggestions.
Hope you recover from mega shift.
thanks

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 06:08:43 AM »
A couple more to add to your list!...

Kribensis?
Angelfish?

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 07:20:37 PM »
Thanks Matt but think I might stick with the pearls, but before I get them ill be getting more corys, but wonder about another slightly larger shoal than the harlies and rummies, so maybe thinking fivebanded barbs or something about that size?

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 07:28:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Five band barbs should be fine. Gouramis are sedate fish with long dangly fins (their feelers). They do not mix well with nippy fish (the feelers) or active fish (eg barbs) though 5 bands do seem to be among the more sedate barbs so they should be OK if you decide to get gouramis.

Always check on the behaviour of a species on Seriously Fish before buying ;)

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 07:31:56 PM »
Cool, couldn't find fiveband on seriously fish, but might not have been searching for the right thing.
Fish buying tomorrow :fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 07:43:37 PM »
I usually fail to find it as well. I resort to googling "seriously fish pentazona" and that finds it.

Fish names change. Usually it is the genus name, the species part doesn't usually change. If a search on SF fails to find the full name, I search with just the species name - pentazona in this case. But occasionally even that doesn't work. Searching for pentazona just gets Puntigrus tetrazona, the tiger barb. So then I use google (well, duckduckgo to be precise), and type in the website name followed by the species name. That works for 5 band barbs  ;D

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 08:02:14 PM »
Cool, the things you learn on this forum  :cheers:

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 12:15:49 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
There are actually 3 fish commonly sold as pentazona barbs. Desmopuntius pentazona, D. hexazona (not as easy to distinguish as their names suggest) and Puntigrus partipentazona. The Puntigrus genus (the Tiger Barb genus) has a higher body.

I agree they're a good choice. They're not nippy and tend to stay in the bottom half, ideal for Gouramies, who tend to prefer the top half.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 07:46:56 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 4
I've relatively recently added fiveband barbs to my 240l planted tank. I think they're great. They are a lot more shy than I expected, and I have no idea how many I actually have (I know I added 12!) because even when they feed, they're difficult to count - being substrate feeders, there's always some of them amongst the plants and they're extremely well camouflaged against my crypts!

But they're a lovely addition to the tank and the iridescence on the stripes is just beautiful.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Suggestions for slightly bigger fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post October 31, 2012, 09:48:57 AM
by Mervyn
20 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 12:13:40 PM
by ColinB
16 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 04:16:25 PM
by dbaggie
5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2014, 02:18:42 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 06:53:47 PM
by Cod_only_knows
36 Replies
Last post May 13, 2017, 05:23:02 PM
by Sue
131 Replies
Last post September 21, 2018, 09:46:43 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: