Substitute For Green Tiger Barb. Suggestions Svp

Author Topic: Substitute for Green Tiger Barb. Suggestions svp  (Read 7461 times) 28 replies

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Substitute for Green Tiger Barb. Suggestions svp
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 09:14:53 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
It crossed my mind too Richard

Now this may sound very silly but I'm going to print out some pictures of the fish I like, cut them out and then see what they'd look like together :) I want a variety of forms but don't want the tank to look to bust iykwim[/b]
[/color]

Well if you're silly Fiona then so am I for almost the same reason.

When we were presented with the tank at Christmas and I started cycling it I was getting it from all sides, "Have you put fish in yet?"
Not only from the grandchildren but the other half too who is sooooooo impatient (although better than he was)

I downloaded the fish we had been looking at, neon tetras and endlers, quietly printed them off, went to my craft room and carefully cut them out and put a dab of adhesive on the back.

Kept quiet about them and one evening when he went upstairs I quickly got them out and stuck them to the front of the tank at different levels.

I was back in my chair by the time he came in and it was so funny to see his face when he suddenly realised what he was looking at. They are still there. He thinks I'm mad!!

Next day I sent a photo of the tank to my daughter and grandkids and she was very excited, texting back to ask what fish we eventually got. I said at the moment we have paper neons and paper endlers. IT was quiet for a very long time and then I got a message back to say she had serious doubts about me.

I thought it looked good and it's even better now with more plants in https://www.facebook.com/ajax/mercury/attachments/photo.php?fbid=848886531800548&mode=contain&width=176&height=176

Goodness knows what he'll think about my next plan.

I've ordered floating fish which I'm going to attach to fishing line and anchor with a stone or something and, again, I shall add them to the tank without saying anything and then wait for the reaction.

I'm hoping that with the movement of the water the fish will have some realism, although they do look like pretend fish   :rotfl:

So, you are not alone !!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 10:07:55 AM »
I've ordered floating fish which I'm going to attach to fishing line and anchor with a stone or something

I'll have to remember that and suggest it for other people having problems with their nearest and dearest  ;D

Offline Richard W

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 10:42:12 AM »
Do they float the right way up or have they gone "belly up"?

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 02:31:12 PM »
Ah, well there you have me Richard. When I ordered them from Amazon I didn't check delivery, assuming it would be only a few days.

It would appear they are coming from China so I haven't got to try it yet. It did occur to me they may just float on their sides.

I have a tiny drill I used for a dolls house construction with the teeniest drill bit so if necessary I shall drill into a fin and put on marine mastic and see what happens.

I couldn't have them floating on their sides, they'd look like they were ill or dying !!

If and when they appear I'll do an update.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 02:47:54 PM »
That was supposed to be the joke, "belly up" meaning that they would look like they had died.

You might find you get hammered by the customs and postal service, they inspect many parcels from outside the EU and charge £8 "inspection fee" plus VAT if they do, even if everything is perfectly legal.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 06:51:19 PM »
Sanjo - at the rate items are taking to arrive from China through the post (have been waiting for 5wks now for something non-fish-related), it might be of 'consolation' to you that your fishless cycle might be complete and your real fish added to the tank before you ever get to set eyes on your floating fish. :)

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 01:22:52 PM »
It will no doubt be crammed in a container on board ship or maybe at docks if you lucky lol

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 06:06:09 PM »
What was really annoying was that having been caught in the same way by eBay I decided I would check very carefully that they were a British company. To be fair the eBay sellers did state Hong Kong etc.

Went to Amazon thinking I had found a British supplier because their trading address was Edinburgh. Wrong, so wrong. Very crafty people.

You are right Aquamaid, I'll probably have my real ones by the time they arrive

fcmf - If they attempt to ask for customs money they can take a running jump.  They only cost £1.44 in total!!

If you look on Youtube for plastic floating fish there are several videos that I found after I ordered them.
#Invalid YouTube Link include https# this link might work.  Mine are yellow.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 06:31:16 PM »
Well, the Goldus Chineseus arrived safely from Hong Kong today. !!! ( :rotfl:

I managed to sneak them into the tank whilst the other half was out.  His face was a picture. He thinks I'm mad (although he did laugh)

Richard, they float very well, almost too well.  Those I'd seen on youtube were at all levels, but these went straight to the top and stayed there, though they were upright thankfully.
Two of these I've anchored to the bed using fish weights, the others are free.

He might have laughed but he does sit there staring at them and is interested in why they suddenly shoot from one side of the tank to the other , but as I pointed out, I have two filters in there so that probably helps.

They are not particularly realistic but on the other hand they don't poop and don't need feeding and I've finally taken down the paper ones.

The tank is on the way to being cycled (at long last) so hopefully we can swap these for the real thing soon.
(I did try to upload a short video but it doesn't want to know)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Substitute for Green Tiger Barb. Suggestions svp"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
55 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 01:47:32 PM
by Smurrayuk
5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2014, 07:10:25 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2015, 06:22:09 PM
by Extreme_One
4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2016, 07:48:58 AM
by Extreme_One
8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2016, 01:47:00 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post November 01, 2016, 07:48:42 AM
by ColinB
12 Replies
Last post December 04, 2022, 09:45:56 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: