Stocking My Thirty Gallon Tank

Author Topic: stocking my thirty gallon tank  (Read 9690 times) 35 replies

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: stocking my thirty gallon tank
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 05:25:37 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
A view from the naughty step: This is an interesting article: O:-)

Ironically I was thinking that, put it down to the rugby league forum I use as you get a few of those and decided he could be genuine but I'm not so sure  ;)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 05:43:38 PM »
It was the phrase about being a famous icthyologist someday that made me think it might be genuine, but maybe I'm just very gullible. Like you Rich, I'm kind of wondering now O:-)

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 10:32:14 PM »
sorry i have not been on in a day or two i was putting together the tank. and so adding poo is bad and i meant after 10 days. but ok its not ok then ok i wont. and right now i am having to move my bed so the tank can be on a load baring wall. and if you knew my you would know i have 2 years worth of crap under it.and just so you know im getting 5 orders of 5-8 stems of anacharis  so yeah in a week i think so how fast can it cycle then with all of the plants.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 10:35:09 PM »
and whats wrong with fish food?

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 08:37:44 AM »
do you have a water test kit ?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 09:32:05 AM »
Ammonia is needed to do a fishless cycle. Fish food contains very little of the substances needed to decompose into ammonia. Fish poo contains even less.
Using ammonia solution, you can calculate exactly how much ammonia you are adding to the tank. With fish food, you have no idea how much ammonia is made so it is impossible to know if you have grown enough bacteria.

I assume you are in the USA as you mention petsmart? Ace Hardware sell the ammonia needed for fishless cycling. You also need a liquid reagent test kit, the kind with bottles and test tubes, not the paper strips you dip in the water.

Leaving the tank for 10 days before adding anything is wasting 10 days as nothing will happen to get the tank ready.

Plants can help by using ammonia as food, but unless the tank is planted like a jungle you still need to do a fishless cycle.

In case you haven't found it yet, this is how you cycle a tank.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 06:47:45 PM »
guess what i got the tank set up right now! so far it is my biggest tank and i am so happy! and yes a jungle of plants are coming. and i have more plants on the way enough for a 55 gallon depending how you put them so yeah a jungle.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 07:36:15 PM »
Even with a jungle of plants you still need to add a 3ppm dose of ammonia to test the set up.  If 24 hours after adding the ammonia you test and find there is zero ammonia, you will know there are enough plants to use that amount of ammonia. But if there is a reading other than zero ammonia you need to cycle the tank before getting fish as the plants will not be able to use all the ammonia made by the fish.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 08:15:57 PM »
something alse to consider aswell is that the fish will still need room to swim depending on what fish you have depends on how much.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 10:27:13 PM »
i dont really ever bother with ammonia but can i put a molly in after a week to feed the things

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 03:55:14 AM »
you know what now that im not half asleep forget my last post im not going to add the molly. but i am going to get some ammonia soon at ace hardware and can the plants wait like a week after i add the ammonia. or does it have to be right when the ammonia is at  3 ppm and how much is that. and also where can i get liquid reagent test kit can i get it at ace hard ware or petsmart and i need to know before nine in the mourning. and i have seen a picture of one in a thread on another forum.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 06:27:25 AM »
ok since i have found my fishy book i thought about i want and i am just thinking so dont go crazy on me. so i was thinking 1 african butterfly cichlid 1 keyhole cichlid 1 Panamanian yellow cichlid 1 panda dwarf cichlid 1 red flag cichlid 1 sajica cichlid 1 german blue ram.
so the new fish i am thinking about are 1 african butterfly cichlid 1 keyhole cichlid 1 Panamanian yellow cichlid 1 panda dwarf cichlid 1 red flag cichlid 1 sajica cichlid 1 german blue ram.
the ones im sure about the angel the blue gourami the syno.
if i have to i will part with the red flag cichlid and the african butterfly cichlid and the german blue ram. and do those test kits tell the ph and hardness because according to aqadvisor i use it as a guide line and i always add 10 percent stock if im for real with the stock on the site. i mostly use it to find out the requirements for tanks and that nature and they say the ph should be 6 and the hardness should be 10 - 15dh and what is dh

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 07:40:02 PM »
Hi Brian, welcome to the forum  :wave:

Been reading through many of your threads so thought I would jot down some advice  :)

In a previous post you mentioned you are getting loads of plants, just an observation ... plants like fish also have their requirements, have you thought about they types of lighting your using, substrate, fertilisers and if you going to use CO2?

Also I'm no expert on cichlids, infact the only cichlids I have ever kept are angel fish however some will eat/destroy plants, that's why you often see their tanks decorated with many rocks and a sandy substrate. Just double check.

My biggest piece of advice to you is you seem enthusiastic regarding your new tank which is fantastic! however slow down and take your time!!!
Research and plan thoroughly.
Work out which fish and plants will thrive best in your aquarium.
The list could go on ... but there is nothing worse and spending money on fish and plants, not understanding their needs and seeing them die, its not fair on their welfare and its frustrating for you. There is lots of experience on this wonderful forum and we are here to help, please take on our guidance and advice because we care about the fish you will be responsible for.

Regards,

Daniel.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 11:06:00 PM »
i  dohnt need a lecture that i already know

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 05:59:00 AM »

seems rather rude brian , he was trying to give you some nice advice

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 07:22:16 AM »

Brian - I've had enough of your rudeness - come back when you've matured a little.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "stocking my thirty gallon tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 07:22:13 PM
by Kirstos
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
9 Replies
Last post July 11, 2014, 03:33:20 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post December 08, 2014, 01:41:18 AM
by brian c
8 Replies
Last post July 05, 2016, 08:55:55 AM
by Fiona
11 Replies
Last post July 15, 2016, 11:03:00 AM
by Evolution Stu
9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2020, 02:46:33 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: