Stocking Levels Are Confusing Me

Author Topic: Stocking Levels are confusing me  (Read 7032 times) 9 replies

Offline Crilliams

• Tropical Fish FTW!
Stocking Levels are confusing me
« on: October 17, 2014, 03:47:06 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Advice given to determin the correct amount of fish for my tank is proving to be rather inconsistant

I am brand new to fish keeping  - I have a small tank - the box says it is 25l.

The advice given in the shop is that I would be fine with 6 small fish an assasin snail and 3 shrimp.

I have stocked it with 3 guppies, a platy, a baloon molly and a dalmation molly, an assasin snail and 3 shirmp (under guidance from the shop) (in a phased approach over the last 2 months.

I have now read advice suggesting this is overstocked. However, the calculator on this website suggests I am well within stocking limits.

I can confirm that the tank has been succeffully cycled  :D and despite it being a small tank, the water quality appears to be of a really good consistant standard and is crystal clear. The tests all come back good. Algae is minimal at most. I have a 3 live plants (possible suffering al little as some leaves are a little browny - i believe i need to increase CO2 and reduce oxygen bubbles) and I have a superfish 100 filter with carbon media.

Please advise:/b]
1)  Is this tank overstocked?
2)  Why the calculator on this site differs considerably to advice given to me in shops and other websites?

All advice greatly appreciated. 

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Stocking Levels are confusing me
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 04:47:13 PM »
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I've put your stock into the community creator and it comes out at 100% stocked and I would definitely say the Mollies are too much for the tank. If the box says 25litres then that will be with no substrate in and full to the brim - so it's far more likely to be about 20litres of actual water.

Clear water means nothing as you can't see ammonia, nitrite or nitrate in the water, so do you have a test kit capable of testing for those, or are you relying on the shop to tell you about water quality. Unfortunately, nearly all shops give rubbish advice.

Don't worry about you plants for now.... that's for later!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Crilliams

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 04:59:36 PM »
Hi Colin,

Thanks for reply.

Yes I have a test kit -

Ph appears to relatively stable around th 7.o mark
Ammonia is on the lowest colour of the tester chart as is nitrites. I believe this is good.
Nitrates are at about 40.

I am unsure about the KH and GH values, they appear to be hitting near the max on the colour chart - I'm not sure if this is good or bad.

You say the mollies are too much for the tank - what will this mean for them going forward? Will they die in a tank too small?

Which calulator did you use - The recommended calculator suggested I could have up to 25 small fish - I think this sounds very high, but only going on advice of the shop and other websites. Perhaps I am using the calculator wrong.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 05:08:42 PM »
Hi Crilliams  :wave:

Unfortunately, nearly all shops give rubbish advice.

This is regrettably true - they're after your £££ at the end of the day and even the better shops will tend to lean to the optimistic side of what you can have in your tank. People understandably trust the advice of the fish shop when starting out (why wouldn't you, they're the 'professionals').

As Colin says, the Mollys especially will be too large, but the Platy and quite possibly the Guppies could also be too large depending on the dimensions of your tank (most fish benefit from greater tank width than height so if your tank is something of a cube shape then this would restrict their available swimming space). It perhaps could take 6 fish if they were very small, e.g. Endlers, perhaps Celestial Pearl Danios.

I would personally look to at least either return the Mollys (or rehome them with a friend or family member if possible). Alternatively, you could always get a bigger tank!  :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 05:09:38 PM »
The Mollies will get too big for that tank when they're fully grown - they won't die, but they won't thrive.

The calculator I used was the one on this site, The Community Creator. It's accessed through any of the fish profile pages. I put in your tank (with 20litres of water) and your stock came to 125% (100% with 25 litres).

25 small fish is waaaay too high. That sized tank is good for one Betta fish, or perhaps about 6 Ember Tetras (though it sonds like your water is too hard for them, but easy to dilute down with such a small volume).

EDIT: we posted at the same time. I'd forgotten about endlers - a good choice (tho' not as good a choice as a bigger tank ;D )

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 07:09:19 PM »
Stocking isn't just about how many fish will fit, it's about the behaviour of the fish, the adult size etc. Stocking calculators are not terribly good with small tanks as all they consider is the bioload of the fish, not the size or behaviour.

As the others have said, mollies get far too big for a 25 litre tank. Platies also need a bigger tank, as do guppies.

If your water is indeed very hard, male endlers would be the best choice, maybe up to half a dozen of them. No females as you don't want any fry in a 25 litre tank. Your water might be too hard for a betta, unfortunately. You can find your hardness somewhere on your water company's website, though some do hide the info in odd places.

Offline Crilliams

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 09:59:50 PM »
Thanks everyone. Your help is most appreciated.

It would be a real shame to loose the Mollies and platy, I love the guppies too. I guess a bigger tank might be an option - although I fell rather miss-sold by the fish shop.

I quite like to panoramic wall mounted tanks - i think they are about 50 - 60 litres perhaps this would be better.

I checked the water again tonight.

Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40
PH 7.6
KH 250
GH 250
Ammonia 0

My understanding is that all these figures are good and I am changing 25% water every week to keep nitrates down. 

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 08:50:15 AM »
I guess a bigger tank might be an option

It's quite common for fish keepers to want another tank (and then another, and another....) once they're up and running with their first - affectionately referred to as Multiple Tank Syndrome (MTS) on here - so you could could just view it as getting the second tank early! Although there'll be nothing wrong with your current tank provided it has suitable occupants.

It does look like your water is pretty hard - there's nothing wrong with this but it does mean you would need to look at fish which do better in hard water conditions. Ironically, the fish you have are actually suited to hard water, but aren't suited to your tank. The Endlers we've mentioned would therefore seem to be an ideal fish for your current tank if you choose to stick with it. If you haven't come across them before, they're quite similar to Guppies in certain respects but smaller  :)

Alternatively, if you do go down the second tank route, I notice you mentioned you have an assassin snail and some shrimp - a 25l tank should make an good snail/shrimp tank.

As for your other water parameters; 0ppm ammonia and nitrite is good (these should be 0) and whilst 40ppm nitrates is a little on the high side it is still within acceptable limits.

I quite like to panoramic wall mounted tanks - i think they are about 50 - 60 litres perhaps this would be better.

Certainly the water capacity would be better for your current fish, although probably still not ideal for the Molly (Seriously Fish recommends a 90cm x 30cm x 30cm tank for them). I haven't seen a wall mounted tank in the flesh before but you would probably need to consider the weight this would place on your wall, how easy it would be to maintain it once it's up there and also how wide/deep the tank is (front to back), e.g. even if the tank is very long, if it's only 10cm front to back then this would still limit your fish choices.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 12:15:55 PM »
The front to back measurement is indeed the critical one with wall mounted tanks; most of them don't stick out from the wall very far. But they do have a fair width and height so a shoal of very small fish would work in a wall mounted tank.
If you can come up with very small fish that like very hard water, that is.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »
C'mon guys.... think big! :))

Tags: Stocking New Tank 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stocking Levels are confusing me"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 12:58:44 PM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 02:38:33 PM
by fishcake76
6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 08:04:46 AM
by ColinB
15 Replies
Last post August 07, 2014, 02:21:37 PM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 03:08:56 AM
by brian c
8 Replies
Last post March 01, 2015, 09:32:01 PM
by Helen
3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2022, 06:52:31 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: