Author Topic: stocking ideas please  (Read 8491 times) 32 replies

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
stocking ideas please
« on: May 25, 2015, 07:04:45 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi 
I'm hoping to start the fishless cycle on my 2nd tank soon and wondered what type of fish I could have.   I was told by the seller it was a 100l tank but working out the measurements & subtracting the volume taken by the cut off corner (for a filter) = 123.5litres.
I am considering an external filter as there is a ready cut hole in the base of that corner area.  The water here is very soft and pH usually = 7.6.  What fish do you suggest?
I've checked the fish profiles on here & as my tank is not 60cm - it seems a no-no for neon tetras that I'd love unfortunately.  I'd like this to be a community tank if possible.
Thanks in advance    :)

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Re: stocking ideas please
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 07:19:18 PM »
Hey Sunshine, congrats on the new tank!

What type of fish are you interested in? For a setup like yours, I'd probably go for a school of small Corydoras for the bottom of the tank. Maybe Pandas? A pair or trio of Honey Gouramis for centrepiece fish and a school of small mid to high level swimmers? I have recently bought a school of Pseudomugil sp. 'red neon' and cannot recommend these tiny rainbow fish enough. They shoal quite well, are constantly displaying and are absolutely stunning. Check out a video of their behaviour and you'll see what I mean. Harlequins or Espei Rasbora would also be nice. There are a plethora of tetra that would be suitable and it really does depend on what your preference is.

My biggest tip would be to get larger shoals of the same fish than a few of a variety. The more of the same fish you get, the better they shoal and the vibrant their colours.

You could also go for a biotope tank, picking fish and plants from a specific region. There are some spectacular examples online.

Good luck!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 08:55:15 PM »
I've checked the fish profiles on here & as my tank is not 60cm - it seems a no-no for neon tetras that I'd love unfortunately. 

I'm probably being a bit thick here, but if the tank is 123 litres, isn't it longer than the 60cm minimum for neons?

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 09:09:55 PM »
Hi
Wow Cod - you've given me so many ideas.  I've been glued to youtube the past couple of hours.  I like the idea of the corydoras.  I'd need sand for them?  I love real plants so how can they grow in sand?
Sue, no you're not being thick - I didn't describe it properly, sorry!  It's a cube! [52x52x52cm].
Thanks!

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 09:51:12 PM »
If I were you I'd go for a S. American biotope. You mentioned you liked neons, and I'll probably be shot by some people for this, but I think neons or even cardinals would be fine in your tank. A 52cm cube would provide more swimming room than a 60 x 30.  If you're concerned, green neons tend to be a little smaller. I would also put the embers in the new tank too as I think they're a bit big for a 23l (though it would make an awesome shrimpery!). A nice school of cories and maybe a smaller plec (bristlenose, clown or zebra - if you're feeling flush).

For the tank decor, a dark sandy substrate is ideal but play sand is a great cheap alternative. You could put a soil base in if you like, but lots of plants grow just fine in sand. Add some aquarium safe rocks (ones that won't raise your pH or hardness - there's lot of info online) and some nice big driftwood pieces. I'd throw some Amazon Sword and Vallies at the back of the tank. To be honest I'm getting a bit carried away, but there's tonnes of choices and figuring out what you want to do with your tank is almost as much fun as actually doing it!

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 10:16:05 PM »
Thanks Cod you can get as carried away as you like - you're definitely inspiring me!  :)

I'd love to have neon tetras - had them when I was a child so they're a favourite of mine  :-)  Thank goodness I have this week off work as it's half-term so I've got time to find out and think about it all.  I'll try & find out more about the biotopes - sound interesting!

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 01:36:11 AM »
If I were you I'd go for a S. American biotope. You mentioned you liked neons, and I'll probably be shot by some people for this, but I think neons or even cardinals would be fine in your tank. A 52cm cube would provide more swimming room than a 60 x 30.  If you're concerned, green neons tend to be a little smaller. I would also put the embers in the new tank too as I think they're a bit big for a 23l (though it would make an awesome shrimpery!). A nice school of cories and maybe a smaller plec (bristlenose, clown or zebra - if you're feeling flush).

For the tank decor, a dark sandy substrate is ideal but play sand is a great cheap alternative. You could put a soil base in if you like, but lots of plants grow just fine in sand. Add some aquarium safe rocks (ones that won't raise your pH or hardness - there's lot of info online) and some nice big driftwood pieces. I'd throw some Amazon Sword and Vallies at the back of the tank. To be honest I'm getting a bit carried away, but there's tonnes of choices and figuring out what you want to do with your tank is almost as much fun as actually doing it!
I agree with you that neons can do perfectly well in a tank that is 20 inch long.

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 11:18:23 AM »
Pleased that you think it's ok to have neons, Brian & Cod.  When I checked the fish profile on here it said tank needs to be 60cm that's why I wasn't sure.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 02:05:25 PM »
I agree with Cod about the green neons. Don't be fooled by the name green because they are blue. They only look greeny blue when viewed from a certain angle. I have some and can say that mine ,at nearly 5 years old, have never grown more than an inch and a quarter. Seriously Fish says they can go in a 45 X 30 cm tank.

My water is softish with a pH of 7.5 and I have Microdevario kubotai (aka neon green rasboras). These look particularly good with ember tetras (which I also have) so if you moved those over they do go well together visually.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 06:46:37 PM »
M. Kubotai are stunning, but not from S. America so out of the question ;)

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 06:54:04 PM »
By the way, the diagonal distance in your tank would be approx 72cm, whilst its only 67cm in a 60 x 30 tank so I would conclude the neons would have plenty of room to dash about your tank.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 07:10:04 PM »
M. Kubotai are stunning, but not from S. America so out of the question ;)

Ah but that's only if you want a biotope  ;D

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 08:18:45 PM »
I know, I've got no idea if Sunshine wants one but I'm hoping I can convince her!

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 09:33:20 PM »
Hmmm you've got me thinking about it Cod!    ;)

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 02:52:11 AM »
Pleased that you think it's ok to have neons, Brian & Cod.  When I checked the fish profile on here it said tank needs to be 60cm that's why I wasn't sure.
Just remember that that was made by a person, and people don't know everything. We are not perfect in any way, well maybe in causing wars and violence. Also we all have different opinions. For example, some people think that an oscar should have a minimum of 55 gallons while some think 40 gallon breeder and some say 75 gallons.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 07:13:01 PM »
Just had another thought about your biotope ;)

How about some Corydoras, a shoal of neons and some Apistogramma. They would all do well in your water and I've read they're compatible, though I've never kept any myself. You'll have to be a little careful with your selection of Dwarf Cichlids as some can be aggressive, but they would make fantastic centerpiece fish. I'm sure there'd be plenty of views on your proposed stocking!

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 07:53:04 AM »
Thanks, you've all given me plenty to think about.  :)  I've been reading up on small corys as I've never had them before and also biotopes ( nod to Cod  :D ).  Biotopes do make sense and as I like the idea of a calm, peaceful tank - tetras & corys seem the way to go.  Not sure about dwarf cichlids Cod, they seem a bit too aggressive for my teeny embers?

As some of you have recommended moving my embers from the 23l to the large one, I'll do that & add some more to their group.  I'll have a look for green neon tetras as I like the sound of them really being 'blue'. It will be quite a while before I start adding fish anyway so plenty of time to research & look around.  I'm still deciding what stand to use as the stand that came with the tank doesn't look like it would hold a full tank.   :-\   Once I've sorted that out, I'll be able to start the fishless cycle.   :)

Few qns:
1. Do small corys have a preference for a certain colour of sand? (hope that's not a stupid qn!)
2. I've not used sand before - any advice please?  Type / how deep should it be / adding plants, etc.
3. What order would you add the fish?  ie. do corys need a well-established tank?  Obviously I have the embers already so could they go in first.  Think they'll be a bit lost on their own in such a huge tank.

Apologies if these qns have been asked numerous times - I've searched the forum & found some info but not exactly what I need to know.

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 11:01:09 AM »
It's the cories that might have problems with dwarf cichlids rather than tetras, so if you want cories, leave out cichlids. [Cories have no concept of territory so if the cichlids breed cories don't learn to stay out of the 'egg' region and get chased away constantly]

Cories don't need a well established tank, by which I mean you don't have to wait six months to add them, but some species need to wait a few weeks.

Green neons aren't as common as neons and cardinals. The easiest might be to ring round first. The way to be absolutely sure the shop has labelled them correctly is to look at the blue stripe. In neons and cardinals, it stops before the tail while that of green neons goes right to the tail.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 10:19:16 PM »
I did read that Cories may be a problem if you're trying to breed Dwarf Cichlids as they'd bulldoze their way in and eat the eggs. It does sound a bit stressful so probably best avoided! To answer your other questions (as best as I can!):

1. Do small corys have a preference for a certain colour of sand? (hope that's not a stupid qn!)
Most fish prefer a darker substrate, I believe because it makes them feel safer as they are more difficult to spot from above. Consequently they are supposed to display better colours. I assume Cories are no exception.

2. I've not used sand before - any advice please?  Type / how deep should it be / adding plants, etc.
I started with a flat inch and a half layer of sand at the bottom of my tank, but got bored of that look pretty soon. I then added some larger rocks and placed varying depths sand across the tank, deeper at the back and shallower at the back. I'm really happy with the look and it supposedly helps push poo to the front for easier cleaning, but in reality my water pushes it to the back! Having a layer of sand that is too thick can supposedly lead to a build up of dangerous gas below the surface if the sand isn't agitated. My sand varies from 1/2 and inch at the front to about 2 and half at the back. Most easy grow plants do fine in sand and there's tonnes of info online about plant suitability.

3. What order would you add the fish?  ie. do corys need a well-established tank?  Obviously I have the embers already so could they go in first.  Think they'll be a bit lost on their own in such a huge tank.

I would recommend the embers first as you all ready have them and they'll be happy with your water parameters providing the tank is cycled. Personally I'd then add the neons. This is based purely on a cost basis. Green neons usually cost less than £2 each, whereas cories can cost anywhere between £2 and well over £20 each depending on the species. In all honesty I don't think it'll be too much of an issue either way.

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 09:45:19 PM »
Thanks Sue & Cod - very grateful for all your advice!  I'm still researching the fish & plants altho' I now have the cabinet, filter  & sand ready.   :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "stocking ideas please"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 04:36:18 PM
by TigzFish
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
63 Replies
Last post June 20, 2015, 03:53:38 PM
by Barney626
16 Replies
Last post August 17, 2016, 08:00:42 AM
by ColinB
17 Replies
Last post October 08, 2019, 04:20:29 PM
by fcmf
98 Replies
Last post February 13, 2020, 09:16:38 PM
by barneyadi
9 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:19:37 PM
by Vanadia

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: