Stocking Ideas Please

Author Topic: stocking ideas please  (Read 8548 times) 32 replies

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Re: stocking ideas please
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 02:19:52 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
No worries Sunshine. Are you still considering a biotope? If you are and fancy something a bit differed, check out hatchetfish. My personal favourite is the marbled variety (Carnegiella strigata). These guys stick to the surface of the water like glue and are perfect tank mates for tetra and corydoras.

If your checking out plants, the Tropica http://tropica.com/en website is really good and lets you search by difficulty, position and of course origin!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 05:10:23 PM »
Hi

Yes, I am thinking of the S. American biotope, Cod.  That website looks really helpful, thanks! 

Unfortunately I've got to have an op in the next couple of weeks so I've been dithering about starting it all up or waiting.  Think I'll start as I think it will help my recuperation  ;-)

Didn't know about hatchetfish - apparently they're fantastic jumpers.  That's all I need!  Popped in to P@H yesterday and they had lemon tetras but no green ones.  Had a look at the cories and they all looked very busy.  Think they'll be a lovely addition the tank.  Want to see a few more before I choose which type of cories. Plenty of time.....

I have a 3 hole coconut covered in moss in my 23l and my ember tetras love it soooooo much I'd love to put something similar in the big tank when they move in there.  I've checked and I could use Christmas moss if I do the biotope. 

Thanks for all the ideas and help - this is a real learning curve!   :)

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 10:49:55 PM »
Hope it's not for anything too serious. There's been lots of research to show the benefits of fish to health, so hopefully the new tank will help your recovery!

I made a couple of coconut caves but my x-ray tetra don't go in them. My platies and honey gourami enjoy popping in from time to time though. The x-rays do love my bogwood and wish I'd bought a bigger piece.

Hatchets are supposed to be great jumpers, but a lid should solve that problem! You may have to try another fish store as I've found P@H to have a limited variety of fish. I'm also not blown away by the health of the fish I bought there, but I guess that's dependent on the staff at the store so yours could be fine. My LFS regularly have green neons, but if they don't they are always happy to order any fish (though I've never taken them up on the offer).

I really wish I could convince my wife that a second tank is a good idea but I have no chance... however, I am retraining as a teacher and may be able to set up a biotope tank in my classroom as a science project!

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 11:29:16 PM »
Oh wow Cod, the children would love that & you'd be teaching them a whole range of skills! I was a Primary school teacher but retrained as a play therapist and have often thought I should have a tank in the room. 

I'm going to be on crutches for quite a while so methinks lying on the sofa watching fish will really help the healing process & my family wouldn't dare disagree!  ha ha   ;)

Yes, was passing P@H so that's why I popped in.  Actually got my embers from a different P@H store & have been very pleased with their service.  I've got a few others I could check out so will do.  I've just bought bogwood so getting everything ready  :-)  Think I'll try & make a start tomorrow - need to wash the sand first.....

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 08:36:24 AM »
I can vouch for the benefit of having fish while recuperating from lower limb surgery. Great to be able to watch them and get focused in on their little world - as well as the additional company aspect. I'm also scheduled to have more surgery in a few weeks' time, which is why I've got my third and final shoal, in order that the aquatic family is complete in advance  :) .

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 01:12:20 PM »
Hope all goes well, fcmf!   :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 01:56:09 PM »
Same to you, Sunshine!

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2015, 08:26:14 PM »
I'm really excited and am going to be teaching Primary too! I'm hoping I can make the biotope a real project if the curriculum allows.

We could work out volumes and stocking levels in maths. Habitats, the nitrogen cycle, plants, acids and alkalines in science.  We could learn all about S. America and the different peoples in Geography. English could be covered by describing the fish/tanks, maybe the story of a wild fish... I could go on and on!

Good luck with your setup, I'd love to see some pics as it progresses!

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 08:34:17 PM »
Sounds fantastic Cod - sure (most) of the children would be interested ....there's always one or two who would need persuading.  Remind me not to tell you of the frogspawn story.    :o   Just wondering about funding - hopefully you wouldn't have to pay for it all?   :-\

Anyway, set up my new tank today as a S.American biotope.  I didn't choose a specific example e.g. blackwater, etc - it's just general.  I'll start testing the water tomorrow.

Plants:
Myriophyllum mattogrossense, Christmas moss, Staurogyne rubescens, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Echinodorus bleheri and Bacopa australis.  I checked they are all found in S. America. Apparently australis means its from the tropics & not from Australia.   ;)  Looking forward to seeing them grow!

I am a bit concerned about those slits in the black corner (top & bottom).  I lost 2 embers in my 23l filter so definitely need to block those slits up - not sure how tho'.  Any suggestions? 

Thanks for all your advice.  Sure I'll have lots more questions as time goes by.   :)

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 09:18:54 PM »
Well now that's a fine looking tank! Once the amazon swords grow a bit you'll barely see the filter. Hopefully the slits are too small for the embers to get stuck. Maybe you attach a thin piece of filter sponge somehow? That would still let the water through unimpeded but should avert any potential fishy disasters.

I really wish I'd gone for a biotope now. I love my tank, but its a bit of a mish-mash of fish and plants. The next tank will definitely be a biotope, but which region should I choose? It's a little way off, but I can't help but dream!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2015, 10:06:12 PM »
If you paint the back of the tank a matt black that filter will vanish!

I've just done this on my tank (actually I used foam-backed black card, so I can change it in future if i want - but the effect is the same - a barely visible filter)

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2015, 08:00:12 PM »
Hadn't thought about that - thanks, Simon.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2015, 10:30:14 PM »
Re blocking the slits in the back corner, Sanjo will hopefully be able to advise on that - she seems to be quite creative with that sort of thing.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "stocking ideas please"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 04:36:18 PM
by TigzFish
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
63 Replies
Last post June 20, 2015, 03:53:38 PM
by Barney626
16 Replies
Last post August 17, 2016, 08:00:42 AM
by ColinB
17 Replies
Last post October 08, 2019, 04:20:29 PM
by fcmf
98 Replies
Last post February 13, 2020, 09:16:38 PM
by barneyadi
9 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:19:37 PM
by Vanadia

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: