Stocking And Can I Have Shrimp?

Author Topic: Stocking and can I have shrimp?  (Read 4618 times) 9 replies

Offline Caroline Miller

Stocking and can I have shrimp?
« on: June 12, 2014, 10:19:34 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi, I'm new-ish to fish keeping (had a 180 tropical tank just over two years ago which after my initial newbie error of adding fish too soon was eventually successful but had to rehome due to house sale)

I've now got a 70l tank (not as big as I'd like but the biggest I have space for) which came complete with led lighting and filter which apparently according to the manufacturers literature runs at 1100l/hr (sounds too good to be true)

I did fish less cycling then added plants and after about 2 months have been gradually adding fish. I currently have
2 x khuli loach
2 x julii Cory
3 x albino cherry barb
6 x cardinal tetras
1 x bristle nose plec (tiny, only about 2cm long)

I before I got the cardinals and the bristle nose the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite were all zero but ph 8.2 (I have a real trouble with ph where I live, I do source fish from a local supplier with high ph and I use ph down but have never managed to get it below 8. )

I was hoping to get two or three rams as feature fish as all the others are small, plus perhaps some pentazona barbs - will this be too much for the tank? Also I am interested in shrimp, could these be added to my tank too?

I've attached a photo of my tank currently too......

Many thanks in advance.

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Stocking and can I have shrimp?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 10:41:33 AM »
Hello Caroline, and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

OK.... a few things I can offer as advice if you'd like. Stop using pH down. A stable pH is far more important than a lower pH. It sounds like you live in a hard water area and your water has a high Carbonate Hardness (KH). This KH acts as a buffer to stop the pH from changing, the danger being that as you add more and more pH down you use up the buffering ability of the water. If that dissapears then the pH can suddenly drop and that would be 'a bad thing'.

Cory catfish and Cherry barbs are much happier in groups of 6 or more. They'll be less stressed and you'll get far more natural behaviour from them.

Have you found the 'Community Creator' on this forum? If you choose a fish from the 'Fish Profile' menu at the top of the page, then you'll find a link there to log into it. You'll need your email address and password. You can then put in your tank dimensions and capacity and fish stock etc and it will tell you your stocking level. It's a very useful tool to have access to.

I live in the SouthEast with very hard water, and I mix tap water and rain water 50:50 to reduce the hardness down to where the majority of fish are perfectly happy. Don't worry too much about pH, the General Hardness of your water is much more important for the long term health of the fish as this regulates the osmotic pressure inside their bodies.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 10:43:57 AM »
Colin has beaten me too it  ;D But rather than retype all this lot (he posted while I was typing) it'll just re-inforce what Colin said.

First I would say stop using the pH down. It sounds as though you have hard water and also a high KH (carbonate hardness). This buffers the water and stops the pH changing. But not only that, fish that like lower pH also like water with few minerals in, and when you add the pH down you add more chemicals to the water, the opposite of what is needed.
If you want to lower the pH you also need to lower the KH. The way to do this is by mixing your tapwater with RO (reverse osmosis) water; that is water from which all the minerals have been removed. But you would need to use the exact same mixture at every water change of the fluctuating levels would harm the fish.

Re the fish you have, before getting any other species, you need to get more cherry barbs, kuhli loaches and cories of the same species as the ones you have. Both need to be in groups of at least 6. But the fish you have now put you at around 100% stocking. Even if you rehomed the cories (which probably grow a bit too big for a 70 litre tank) and got a couple more barbs and loaches, you would still be slightly overstocked.
It's not just about filtration capacity but space for the fish to behave naturally. Cories in particular need a lot of floor space which a 70 litre is unlikely to have.

Even if you has space, rams are not a good choice. They need soft acid water and temperatures higher than the rest of your fish.

As for shrimps, they add very little to the bioload so you could get some of them. I think that even the smaller species such as cherry shrimps should be OK with the fish you have. Or you could look at the larger amano or ghost shrimps. Whichever you decide, you need a group of them, and the tank should have some cover for the shrimps to hide in. They have to shed their skins to grow and until the new skin hardens they are very vulnerable to being eaten. They need to hide away somewhere during this time. It could be a cave or a dense plant.

Offline Caroline Miller

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 11:05:20 AM »
Thanks both :)

I actually planned my tank using the community creator and I know on there it said minimum of 4 for both the loaches and the Cory's so I know I should probably get more of them. The community creator said to get minimum of 3 cherry barbs so this is why I have only 3. Do you think I could mix albino cherry barbs with standard cherry barbs? According to the creator I'm only at 76% of maximum stocking so I'm a bit confused (plus at the fish store they tell you completely different again ??? I've attached a screenshot of my tank on community creator too...

Is there any other way of testing / reducing kh? The RO water sounds expensive and also very tricky to do?

I quite like the cherry shrimps, would 6 be enough? Also, what other feature fish could I have if not rams?

Thanks again :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 12:04:57 PM »
Ah, oversized internal explains it.

I have 6 Cherry barbs (2m:4f) and the males are a deep cherry colour and keep displaying to each other and the barbie girls by flaring their fins and 'dancing' round . This is great behaviour to watch. They 'should' mix in with the albinos.

You can test your KH and GH by one of these:

RO water costs £1.40 for 10litres at my LFS.... but I use rain water from a water butt. Works fine for me. It's not at all complicated. 5litres of rain water + 5litres of tap water + dechlorinator and I'm good to go. This halves my GH (down to 8º) and halves my KH as well.

As for a feature fish, it might be best to find out what your GH and KH are first to see if you're going to try and reduce it. If you decide to reduce your GH to (say) 10º then a Banded Gourami might be something to consider.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Caroline Miller

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 12:29:51 PM »
Thanks Colin, sorry for daft question but if you use 5 litres of rain water and 5 litres of tap water do you dechlorinate for 5 or 10 litres?

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 12:45:22 PM »
You dechlorinate for the amount of tap water.

But you need to know that your rainwater is free of contaminants. If you live in an area with air pollution, I wouldn't use it. If you use roof run-off, make sure the roof is clean. If you live in an agricultural area where they spray the fields, that is another possible source of contamination.

In the CC, you can't add julii cories because they are not in the fish profiles. I see that you used panda cories instead, but you need to increase the number in the CC to reflect the fact that juliis are bigger than pandas and 2 juliis will have a bigger bioload than 2 pandas.

I saw albino cherry barbs for the first time a couple of weeks ago. They were lovely looking fish.

Offline Caroline Miller

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 01:08:52 PM »
Thanks sue, that was my concern about using rain water, I might first check the kh and if needs adjusting then try RO water as my local fish shop sells it.

Ah thank you, I didn't know that about the julii Cory's. I was originally going to get cherry barbs but the I saw the albinos and thought they were really nice.

Sorry, another question. Do you think it would be ok to get 2 x more of each of the Cory's and loaches so 4 of each, plus another 3 cherry barbs and perhaps 6 cherry shrimp, would this be too many with what I already have? I had really hoped to get a pair of feature fish but I don't want to harm them by overstocking.......wish I had space for a larger tank as there are too many fish I want! :D

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 03:01:41 PM »
You might get away with just two more of those fish. Cories really prefer 6+ but with the juliis being among the larger ones, I'm not sure they'd fit in a 60cm long tank.

Shrimps will be OK as they add very little to the bioload. Though you probably won't get many babies surviving as the fish you have will most likely eat them. The adults should be OK.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 01:50:59 PM »
I have never seen any problem with rainwater, provided that you collect it sensibly. Don't use it after a long dry spell, or if there are any warnings as to high pollution. I collect mine after there has been quite heavy rain for a while, then run out and put out my container, I usually get soaked, but better than getting "soaked" for the cost of RO water! RO water I put in the same class as buying bottled water to drink instead of the stuff that comes out of the tap, described by someone as "the ultimate triumph of advertising over common sense". I also only collect rainwater when the weather is coming from the west, it won't pick up pollution over the many miles of Atlantic ocean, unlike the rain from the south which has come up over central Europe. It only takes a few minutes of reasonably heavy rain to "scrub" the local pollution out of the atmosphere. Don't store any water in a butt for long either.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stocking and can I have shrimp?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
40 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 06:46:58 PM
by Resa
3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 01:43:55 PM
by tropicalhabitat
4 Replies
Last post March 10, 2014, 03:58:13 PM
by Richard W
8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2014, 12:24:16 PM
by chris213
6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2014, 10:13:11 AM
by chris213
3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 06:32:24 AM
by chris213
1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 09:26:52 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: