Author Topic: Stocking advice for 60 liter tank  (Read 26082 times) 30 replies

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Stocking advice for 60 liter tank
« on: August 28, 2014, 03:22:01 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all :)

I've just bought myself a little 60cm long 60 liter tank and am considering what to put in it. I had a look in my lfs and the internet and saw lots of fish I would like, so was hoping I could mention them and maybe I could get some advice about which would work in my tank and which combinations of fish would be best? And advice would be very much appreciated.

I definitely want to have a small group of tetras (maybe six?) and am trying to decide between cardinals and rummynoses.
Other fish that I really liked but am concerned need a bigger tank were honey dwarf gouramis, dwarf rainbows and electric blue rams. Would any of these be okay in my tank? I also just assumed that angelfish and bristlenoses would be too big but if they're not I'd love to add them :)
I would also love to have maybe four or so cories and maybe the same number of otos. I'm assuming these would both be fine but just thought I'd check.
Lastly, I saw some apple snails and thought they were pretty cool but i've had a snail problem before. If i got just one would i be running the risk of getting more? I've heard they can carry sperm for months, is there a way to get around this?

Hoping to hear your thoughts soon :)

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Stocking advice for 60 liter tank
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:18:22 AM »
It sounds like you've got it mainly sorted.

If I was stocking a 60litre 60cm tank then I'd look at the levels....

Cory catfish on the substrate (Pandas as they're small (and cute) )

Barbs for the lower third of the tank (Five Band or Checkered)

Tetras for the upper-mids - plenty of choice, but I particularly like the Rosy Tetras.

Play around with the community creator to see what stocking levels your tank can hold.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:58:25 PM »
You would need a bigger tank for the fish you thought you would. Honey gouramis would fit though. I notice you called them honey dwarf gouramis - shops often label them like this but honey gaouramis and dwarf gouramis are two separate species. Dwarfs get too bog and you'd need 1m 2f as males are notorious for harassing females. Honeys, on the other hand, can be kept as 1m 1f pairs and they are smaller. The only trouble I've ever had with honey gouramis is when i had a 1m 2f trio and the females didn't get on.
Electric blue rams can also need very specific water conditions depending just how many generations ago the last wild ancestor was. If it's recent (a generation or two) they need soft acid water at temps in the high 20s C. Breeders often introduce a wild caught fish into their breeding liens to widen the gene pool but you have no way of knowing if the fish in the shop have a recent wild ancestor or not.

I'd also look at pygmy cories, and if you can find them salt & Pepper, Corydoras habrosus (not peppered cories) or C. hastatus. These three are the smallest species.

Apple snails come in two sexes unlike some other species but yes, females can carry sperm like livebearing fish. However as they lay their eggs above the water line like tiny bunches of grapes if you did buy a sperm carrying female you'd just need to be vigilant about spotting and removing the egg clusters.
Or you could try selling any baby apple snails that do make it.

Or if you want snails, look at nerites. The females may lay sesame seed like eggs all over the tank but they don't hatch in fresh water.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 01:17:51 PM »
Thank you for your advice :)

Unfortunately 60 liters is really the biggest tank I can have at the moment because we have such limited space. So could I potentially have a pair of honey gouramis, a pair of rams (providing i can get the water right), some cardinal tetras and a few otos and cories? I've had panda cories before and loved them, so i'd be happy to look for them again.

I'm pretty sure apple snails are fine to have in australia; perth particularly is very relaxed about the pets people are allowed to keep!

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 02:16:57 PM »
The EU has other ideas for us I'm afraid. Because apple snails were found in one river in Spain the import of them is banned throughout the whole EU.
I thought Australia was pretty tight on what fish you can have and can't have? I've read lots of Australians complaining about the limited number of fish species allowed.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 12:16:08 AM »
oh, that's a pity. Do they actually breed like crazy? The only species i've been interested in and not been able to keep is the african dwarf frog because they're  not allowed here. I've actually only been in Australia for a few weeks- I come from New Zealand which is much stricter about what can and cant be kept as a pet. I think the rules are pretty regional though, for example the Eastern side of the country where Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney are have stricter regulations because the climate makes it easier for species to get out of control. I'm in Perth on the western side and as far as I'm aware there aren't many regulations because it's so hot and dry that very little that isn't already here could survive the summer. Plus there really isn't all that much environmental stuff worth protecting lol

Offline Resa

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 12:34:23 AM »
Hi Andrea :wave:
Welcome to the forum!
Just to put my tuppence worth in.....you really MUST get Panda Cories, they are just so-oo cute, I love mine. Sue knows all about honey gouramis (and everything else too, actually) but I would avoid the dwarf gouramis, which although beautiful, do have a tendency to develop a disease that is incurable...very sad. I had a gorgeous  DG, but sadly lost him to this.
The electric rams are stunning, but they do need soft water.
Anyway, have good fun choosing, let us know what you decide on in the end, 'cos we're nosey buggers on here ;)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 08:16:10 AM »
Thanks Resa :) Yes, Sue is obviously very impressive! I do love panda cories and thought I might try a different kind but everyone seems to agree that they are the best so i shall go with them again :) Now for a dumb question: how do I keep my water soft enough? I know that drift wood softens it, but for the last fish i had i was told not to worry too much about the softness so i just kept an eye oh the pH.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 11:38:20 AM »
Noooo - it's the pH that's best left alone. To soften your water you can mix your tap water with RO water or rain water. What hardness is your water 'cos it's best left alone unless at extremes - most fish these days are farm bred and grow up in 'average' water. Stability, rather than the exact figure, is what's important to fish.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 10:46:25 PM »
That makes sense :) how likely is it that the fish shop will know how many generations ago their fish stock was removed from the wild?

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 11:23:09 AM »
Very unlikely in my experience. The wholesaler probably won't know either. However, if you could find someone in your area who breeds them, you'd know exactly their heritage and what water they are used to. Is there something like aquarist classifieds (a UK website) in Australia? Any local fish clubs?

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 11:55:09 PM »
I don't know, but I could find out today :) One last question and then I think I'm sorted lol If i'm going to have panda cories do i need to have sand as my substrate? I only heard that I should after I got mine last time. I would rather have gravel if it doesn't make that much difference to them but obviously it's not fair to put them into an environment that I know is not ideal.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 02:27:32 AM »
Okay, so just to check before I buy any fish, I'm looking to get (not all at once, obviously)
10 cardinal tetras
2 honey gouramis
2 electric blue rams (providing i can get the water right for them)
4 panda cories
4 otos
1 apple snail
The community creator says my tank will be 74% full which i guess is a good stocking level. Will this work?

Offline Resa

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 11:11:43 AM »
Hi Andrea :wave:
How exciting...new fishy time!
The only thing I would suggest is that you think about getting 6 or more Pandas, as they are happier in that number. It's better for you too, as they will really show off their little personalities better, because they will feel secure and happy.
As for the substrate question, I think sand is the best for them but they are ok on small rounded gravel that doesn't have sharp edges. This is because of their barbels which can easily get damaged. Having said that, I think the most important factor regarding any substrate, is that it is kept scrupulously clean. Any fish can get a little scrape....on the decor for instance, but if the substrate is clean it will massively reduce the chances of them getting infections in any injuries.
I have got small rounded gravel in my tank with my Peppered and Panda Cories, because like you, I had already got that when I bought my Cories, and 'touchwood', a year on and they have been fine.
After saying I only had one suggestion, here's another, make sure any decorations. plants (if not real) are smooth. Use silk plants and not plastic. That will minimise any injuries for your new little fishy friends.

Happy shoppping and don't forget piccies for us when your new residents are settled in. :fishy1:

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 08:18:03 AM »
Looks good - but watch your temperature, there's very little overlap. 24º is top-end for pandas and bottom end for cardinals.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 08:29:45 AM »
Okay, will do :) Thanks so much for your help everybody!

Offline Richard W

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 08:33:22 AM »
I don't know - I inherited 4 cardinals, which live with 12 neons in a 60 litre tank. Thermostat is set to 22 degrees, water is quite hard, and all of the fish are thriving I know they are at least 3 years old. Commercially bred fish are a lot more tolerant than one is led to believe. Incidentally, the cardinals shoal in with the neons and don't seem to stay with each other particularly, I sometimes wonder if they know the difference.

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 09:24:51 AM »
Rams like it warm too - especially those specimens with recent wild ancestors. Tank bred only for generations would be OK though.
The only cories that can cope with higher temps are sterbais - which get too big for a 60 litre, unfortunately.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 09:28:39 AM »
Rams like it warm too - especially those specimens with recent wild ancestors. Tank bred only for generations would be OK though.

Bolivian Rams seem to like it cooler than Rams 'ordinaire' - down to 22ºC according to ThinkFish.

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 09:36:17 AM »
They do. But they are bigger fish and would prefer a tank bigger than 60 litres, which are usually 60cm long. Seriously Fish recommends 90cm minimum for bolivians.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stocking advice for 60 liter tank "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 06:08:12 PM
by Tim_b65
4 Replies
Last post January 05, 2015, 09:54:45 AM
by chris213
46 Replies
Last post August 20, 2016, 10:11:55 PM
by Matt
14 Replies
Last post July 31, 2016, 06:50:21 PM
by Sue
34 Replies
Last post December 04, 2016, 01:33:06 PM
by adenann
33 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 09:16:42 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2018, 11:12:01 PM
by daveyng

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: