Stocking Advice For 60 Liter Tank

Author Topic: Stocking advice for 60 liter tank  (Read 26263 times) 30 replies

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Stocking advice for 60 liter tank
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
They do. But they are bigger fish and would prefer a tank bigger than 60 litres, which are usually 60cm long. Seriously Fish recommends 90cm minimum for bolivians.

I bow to your magnificance. :))

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 10:30:14 AM »
Seriously Fish is a wonderful resource  ;)

Besides, I've had bolivian rams and I know how big they get  ;D

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »
Haha omg I thought all cories stayed pretty small because my pandas did and i went to the lfs the other day and i saw this one that was enormous! Yes, my tank is 60cm long and I'm really scared of over stocking it because my last one was so much bigger and had relatively few fish. Could anyone tell me what temperature my tank should be set to? I started cycling it the other day :D
Also, I saw a clown pleco in the store which I loved. The community creator says it would be fine size-wise for my tank, but that it is too big to be put with the cories. I thought that seemed odd because it's an algae eater so it should be fine with small fish but is this not the case? Does anyone have any experience with them?

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 08:11:49 AM »
Nice and warm for cycling Andrea, then reduce the temp to what your fish need when it's done.
I had mine at 28, but that was the highest I could achieve with the heater that comes with the tank. Someone else will be able to tell you if it should be higher.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 09:26:50 AM »
Andrea, I shouldn't say this, but the fish profiles on here can sometimes be a bit off with the tank size. I prefer to use Seriously Fish, though it is sometimes a challenge to find the fish in question as they use the most up-to-date names. And I can't find clown plec on there as either a peckoltia or a panaque  ??? The nearest I can find is this chap which they say grows to 100 - 120cm and looks pretty similar to the clown plec on here and on planet catfish. If you look at that link, you'll find it recommends tanks with a footprint of 120 x 30cm.

Sometimes it is not a good idea to keep large and small fish together because the small fish feel intimidated by the presence of the big fish; or the big fish swims too fast for the small fish to cope with. Often the large fish will eat the small fish, but I wouldn't think that's the case here.
In Thinkfish's previous incarnation (the site had host problems a couple of years ago and had to move) there were three corydoras in the fish profile - dwarf cories, all given under salt & pepper; the slightly larger panda cories; and all the 2 inch ones lumped together under just 'corydoras'. For some reason, that last category vanished from the profiles during the move.

Temp - for fishless cycling, somewhere round the high 20's to 30 deg C. The bacteria multiply faster as these temps so the cycle goes quicker. Once it's completed, you then turn the heater down to what the fish need.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 12:32:38 PM »
Oh, okay I guess i will have to wait until I can get a bigger tank :( Thank you so much for looking for me though, I will make sure I double check the fish I don't know much about in future!
Does anyone have some quick planting tips for the tank? I'm looking to plant mine reasonably heavily but when I looked for ideas online I honestly couldn't work out how they created the looks I did like.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 01:15:10 PM »
Have you looked at http://tropica.com/ ? (By the way, what has happened to the English version of this site?).
Under "Inspirations" there are various designs, with the plants used and plans.

HOWEVER these aquascaped tanks require a huge amount of time and effort to maintain the look, trimming etc. at least weekly, sometimes every couple of days. Plants grow, they don't stay the same size for long. It's a lot of commitment, and most of these tanks have hardly any fish in. It's very difficult to have a fully stocked tank which also looks like a beautiful garden of plants. Anyone can plant a lawn, but very few can keep it looking like a bowling green.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 01:42:39 PM »
Have you looked at http://tropica.com/ ? (By the way, what has happened to the English version of this site?).

You have to click on the little UK flag at the top right - but some of it is still in German.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 01:46:23 AM »
Omg that's such a cool site! I'm not so worried about putting a lot of time into my tank because I tend to anyway, but I have absolutely no artistic flare so i need to be told exactly where to put stuff lol But thank you, I will definitely spend some time today having a look through it

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 10:06:17 PM »
Yeah Tropica.com is good resource - I used it to get a feel for how certain plant varieties would (could!) look in a tank and picked out the ones I liked, before then narrowing my choices down to primarily those which were classed as easy to keep. I then bought the ones I wanted as stem plants off Ebay (which generally works out much cheaper than buying rooted plants from the shop).

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 10:48:33 PM »
That's a fantastic idea :) I'll definitely see if that's possible to do here. Thank you so much everybody :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stocking advice for 60 liter tank "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 06:08:12 PM
by Tim_b65
4 Replies
Last post January 05, 2015, 09:54:45 AM
by chris213
46 Replies
Last post August 20, 2016, 10:11:55 PM
by Matt
14 Replies
Last post July 31, 2016, 06:50:21 PM
by Sue
34 Replies
Last post December 04, 2016, 01:33:06 PM
by adenann
33 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 09:16:42 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2018, 11:12:01 PM
by daveyng

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: