Starting Up With Second Hand Tank.

Author Topic: Starting up with Second Hand Tank.  (Read 3366 times) 4 replies

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
Starting up with Second Hand Tank.
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:47:41 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Good morning.    Another question for Sue.   My friend has just purchased a second hand tank, size is 80 c. x 30.5 wide x 40 high.   It has been stored for a year or two in someones garage so needs a good clean.  What is the best way to clean it please, is there something special he should use.   It is complete with external  filter, heater and ornaments.   He has kept fish before but not for a number of years and things are a little different now.  Help please.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Starting up with Second Hand Tank.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »
It depends on the state of the tank. Old dried on algae can be cleaned off with a blade such as a razor or stanley knife blade. Be careful not to damage the sealant. Limescale (white) deposits, again a blade or for stubborn bits use lemon juice or white vinegar - keep them away from the sealant - then rinse very thoroughly. To remove any potential bugs, use bleach. You need that very cheap basic-range bleach that has no perfume, surfactant or detergent, and dilute 1 part bleach to 9 parts water; or use baby bottle sterilising solution diluted the same. Rinse, rinse, rinse, then rinse again with water overdosed with dechorinator as bleach is just a source of chlorine.

The heater ornaments and filter housing can all be cleaned the same way but after two years I'd get all new media. After two years dry there will be no live bacteria in the media.

If he's not kept fish for a number of years he probably doesn't know about cycling. You could always give him some of your media to get him started  ;)

Offline Richard W

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 01:17:06 PM »
I've cleaned up several used tanks over the last few months. I've found the most useful thing to be one of the "sponge scourers" sold for washing up etc. One side is a sponge, the other a rougher plastic scourer, usually green. First I wash down the inside of the tank using the soft sponge side and plenty of water. This is to wash off any pieces of sand or grit which might scratch the glass. Then I use the other side to rub all over the glass, with moderate pressure. Keep rinsing the scourer regularly. I've found this gets rid of all but the toughest lime scale, but that is easily removed if you moisten the sponge with vinegar first. The outside can be treated in the same way. Personally, I never bother with bleach or anything else. I can't think of any organism that could harm fish that could survive even a few days in a dry tank, let alone a year or two.

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 02:15:37 PM »
Thank you very much Sue, that's very helpful.   He does know about cycling, having  seen me do mine, and obviously  will be doing a fishless cycle once all is up and ready to go.

Thank you also Richard, I appreciate your input too.  Also helpful, many thanks.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 04:40:00 PM »
I'd forgotten those scouring sponges exist as we use other things in the house (j-cloths, metallic scourers and plastic scourers  ;D ) The only thing to watch with the sponge type is that some are impregnated with soap - avoid that kind.

Bleach is a bit of overkill, but some people are happier to make sure.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Starting up with Second Hand Tank."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post October 21, 2013, 08:21:21 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post August 06, 2014, 05:12:20 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 11:30:00 AM
by Aquamaid
9 Replies
Last post November 22, 2014, 09:49:14 AM
by Aquamaid
59 Replies
Last post March 25, 2017, 06:26:08 PM
by fcmf
7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 11:32:47 AM
by Dominika
26 Replies
Last post April 07, 2021, 06:50:45 AM
by Corydude

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: